All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some rare france sales. From GFK. 2016.

C3piDKYWMAEsHzV.jpg

I dont know, doesn't seem like say 500k for the #3 game is very many at all.

The same guy posted another graph, basically COD: IW is down huge from previous COD's in France. We see it got outsold even by BF1.

57.1 million total shipped through Dec 16. They said what, 53.4 sold through Dec? So the rest is slack in the channel.

~3.7 million units in the channel is quite a lot. It's going to be interesting to see if Sony releases any information on shipments for this quarter. I'm going to guess they won't as it likely isn't going to be very impressive with that many units in the channel. I'm wondering if they overshipped just to try to meet financial projections for the fiscal year or if retailers actually thought they were going to move that many PS4s during the Holiday quarter.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Does Sony publish Minecraft on Sony products?

It's published by both Sony and Mojang (Microsoft).

Mojang (Microsoft) publishes all Minecraft items sold through PSN while Sony publishes all Minecraft items sold through physical media.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jay
~3.7 million units in the channel is quite a lot. It's going to be interesting to see if Sony releases any information on shipments for this quarter. I'm going to guess they won't as it likely isn't going to be very impressive with that many units in the channel. I'm wondering if they overshipped just to try to meet financial projections for the fiscal year or if retailers actually thought they were going to move that many PS4s during the Holiday quarter.

Regards,
SB

They talked about it they underestimate the number of PS4 Pro and send too much PS4 Slim. PS4 Pro is sold out in all country out of US, UK, France and Germany... And it is often sold out on Amazon France and Amazon Germany. It is sold out in Asia too...

It was too late to adjust the production. The next batch of PS4 Pro in Switzerland will arrive in march for example...

Indeed. Looks like Sony were right to chance their Pro strategy. Wonder how many were 360/XB1 customers who made the jump?

This has to be encouraging for Scorpio. MS can't afford any delays, they need to land for holidays 2017. I'm willing to bet they'll be pimping the crap out of the Scro at E3, as much to run interference on the PS4/Pro as to get pre orders for themselves.

Just like Switch, let's wait and see what long term sales are. New toys over the Christmas period have a way of selling well.

Also, 40% of how many PS4 Pros? If 10 Pros were sold, 6 to PS4 owners and 4 to non-PS4 owners, Sony could claim the same figure but it'd represent atrocious sales.

Just like Switch, let's wait and see what long term sales are. New toys over the Christmas period have a way of selling well.

Also, 40% of how many PS4 Pros? If 10 Pros were sold, 6 to PS4 owners and 4 to non-PS4 owners, Sony could claim the same figure but it'd represent atrocious sales.

Like he said in the interview in UK the problem is the supply and they dial back the marketing of the PS4 Pro until resolving supply problem and it seems it will not be a problem for Horizon Zero Dawn release...

He continues: "Pro was a gutsy move by SIE. It's iterating on a console mid-lifecycle with a view to giving players a heightened, or enhanced, PlayStation 4 experience. It's no secret that it is following a mobile phone market model, which worked well there, but it is still risky. It takes a lot of investment to pull that off. I would say we are pretty pleased with the way that has gone, but it is early days. We need the enhancements in the console and the content to gain traction, we need supply to improve and then we can start widening the message out on that to a broader audience.

Last edited:
Indeed. Looks like Sony were right to chance their Pro strategy.

Dont be silly, numerous posters have pointed out nobody wants the Pro :)

I may end up right after all...maybe just take a little time.

That said Chris's article sales 2016 PS sales were down a bit in UK from 15. Same true in USA I believe. But WW ship was up ever so slightly (17.5 vs 17.4).

I guess one metric then is if Pro can stop the typical console cycle peak and decline, and there's not evidence of that yet.

That said Chris's article sales 2016 PS sales were down a bit in UK from 15. Same true in USA I believe. But WW ship was up ever so slightly (17.5 vs 17.4).

I guess one metric then is if Pro can stop the typical console cycle peak and decline, and there's not evidence of that yet.

Who knows if the supply of PS4 Pro was good enough if the PS4 would have be down... The article tells too that they dial back on marketing because demand is higher than supply..

It is the first time Sony release a mid generation console and from the reaction of Shuhei Yoshida, President of SIE Asia apologize to consumer for the shortage of PS4 Pro, The CFO of Sony saying than now PS4 Pro selling better than PS4 Slim maybe it would not have been the case in UK... And number would have been up year to year if the supply of PS4 Pro was good.

Last edited:
Warwick Light is a PlayStation veteran. Beginning his career in the company's New Zealand office, he ended up leading the Nordics, Iceland, Eastern and South Eastern Europe - a business segment known as 'NICE and ESEE'. "That include Russia," says Light. "So it was anything but nice and easy."

Those markets combined were roughly the same size of the UK business, so when former UK boss Fergal Gara moved to Amazon, Light was the ideal pick to take on the challenge. And he's finding it a very different beast to the territories he's managed in the past.

Interesting Sony do a good work there...

There has been plenty of Pro's in USA, they just need to reallocate. Dont a lot of Europeans buy from Amazon USA anyway? I know that applies to points cards...

So PS4 will be 60 million in March. 3+ years out. Wii did 100 million, how fast? Will Sony ship another 20 million PS4 in FY 17? Or will they expect a decline?

PS3/X360 both probably ended around 85 million shipped, so there's that as well.

Again, who are these 'numerous posters'?

Percentage of Pro sales during the holidays were relatively low due to shoppers being price conscious during these months, big discounts on the slim and supply issues in certain countries. Sales for the Pro were higher than the Slim during the quarter, probably because of pre-orders leading up to launch. I think neither are representative of what the split between Pro/Slim will be once everything settles. Pro is still a relatively new product so sales will be strong for a while, but I think the Slim will still be the dominant SKU. Not a 15/85 split like the holidays would suggest, but maybe something around 30/70.

Last edited:
I think you're confusing the posts on Nintendo Switch with 4Pro.
lol no, I was one of those guys.
4Pro will not outsell PS4 anytime soon, I still stand by it.

The numbers indicate that 40% of 4Pros sold went to new owners in the UK. Which is decent, for sure. Anyone upgrading from PS4 -> 4Pro is the 60% right?
So that leaves nearly all remaining PS4Slim sales to be new customers, because if they were to upgrade it would be to 4Pro (making the 60), and I imagine a much smaller number buying into 4Slim.
We can actually do some quick math.
Let 100,000 units be the number of units 4Pro sold
That leaves 60,000 upgraders.

If we know the units of 4Slim sold, we can subtract this amount from 4Slim. That remaining amount will give us new customers for 4Slim with some correction for 4Slim upgraders.

That being said, PS4Slim is bringing in the masses for new customers and not 4Pro. And 4Slim outsells 4Pro by a large ratio.

I'm just saying, 40% is a pretty good number for 4Pro. I was actually expecting it to be about 20%, and 80% upgraders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back