All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2017 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that the PS3 was a relative flop compared to PS1 and PS2 in Japan, a slight uptick launch aligned isn't terribly encouraging.
I'm referring to the people on this forum that predicted that the PS4 would flop in Japan, that consoles were dead and that it wouldn't even sell anywhere near PS3 numbers.

I never said that the PS4 would be a huge success in Japan, but that it has a chance at selling close to PS3 numbers; which is, as you said, not an insignificant amount.

According to media create, PS4 currently sits at over 4.2M sold in just under 3 years on the market. That's probably more PS4s sold than any other country outside of the US.

Wikipedia shows similar numbers. Your claim of not being sure is just a lame cover for trolling. It's silly.
So I'm trolling by pointing out Sony and MS quaterly reports numbers and you are being serious by quoting VGChartz whose data contradicts Sony and MS reports and contradicts itself?

It's really not worth arguing. We don't have any definitive numbers, but it does seem as if MS shipped slightly more X360s based on reports. It's probably within margin of error and virtually a tie if you ask me.

Last edited:
Wikipedia shows similar numbers. Your claim of not being sure is just a lame cover for trolling. It's silly.
Ohh and forgot to say maybe you should actually look at those wikipedia annotations they are there for reason as wikipedia is edited by regular people. It also says what I said 84 million xbox 360 AS OF JUNE 2014, PS3 83.4 AS OF END OF 2014. Xbox 360 didn't simply stop selling in June and PS3 continued.

It's really not worth arguing. We don't have any definitive numbers, but it does seem as if MS shipped slightly more X360s based on reports. It's probably within margin of error and virtually a tie if you ask me.
I agree with this, I simply asked for proof because in multiple places I see people saying that PS3 overtook xbox 360 in like 2013 when actual Sony and MS report numbers contradict that statement. We have no clue how many last gen consoles have been sold since 2014.

I agree with this, I simply asked for proof because in multiple places I see people saying that PS3 overtook xbox 360 in like 2013 when actual Sony and MS report numbers contradict that statement. We have no clue how many last gen consoles have been sold since 2014.
Well there were reports saying that the PS3 passed the X360 at one point. But shipment reports released by both companies around the PS4's launch suggest otherwise. If you think about it, both could be true. The PS3 seemed to die off quicker near the end of last gen. (probably because of the release and success of the PS4), so it's possible that the PS3 passed the X360 in shipments, but in the end, X360 regained its lead near the PS4's launch.

But again, it's probably so close that it's virtually a tie IMO.

So I'm trolling by pointing out Sony and MS quaterly reports numbers and you are being serious by quoting VGChartz whose data contradicts Sony and MS reports and contradicts itself?

Your response of feigned surprise is what's trolling, especially when you admit you have no idea how many units have been sold but see contradictory reports. It's childish.

A Sony press release reported 80 million sold as of November 2, 2013, 3.4 million were shipped in 2014.

That means that at end of 2014 PS3 had sold 83.4 million.

The 83.4 Million figure according to the dates you gave seems to be missing the sales between November 2nd and December 31st, which was a multi million quarter for the PS3, it shipped 3.3 million units during that holiday 2013 quarter and it would be logical to assume that quite a few of those was after the November 2 date.

That's only true for Microsoft. MS relies on the US/UK a hell of a lot more than Sony. The US/UK only represents ~30-40% of PS3/PS4 sales, whereas it's more like 60-70% for MS.

The X360 outshipped the PS3 by the smallest of margins, even though it had a year headstart and was cheaper (for a lot of the time, significantly cheaper). Sure having better multiplats helped, but that was a small factor IMO.

I think most would agree that the PS3 (earlier on, at the very least) was more reliable than the X360. So any advantage the X360 has could be chalked up to reliability and margin of error. But sure, I guess I will give it to you.

You could also argue that it was one of the contributing factors to the PS3's high price tag, which ultimately hindered PS3 sales, especially early on.

Power is, IMO, third on the list. Worldwide brand presence and price are both the two most important factors if you want to have huge success in the console market. Even though Sony fucked up with the PS3, was outsold significantly in two of the largest markets, launched a year late at a hefty price tag, it still managed to basically pull even. And even though the XB1 is managing to stay competitive with the PS4 in those same two large markets, the PS4 is outselling the XB1 by >2:1. Sony has worldwide brand presence, MS does not (at least not yet).

I would give 'power' more weight if the differences were significant enough for the average gamer to easily notice. Like I'm talking generational leap at a similar price tag.

It will probably have a ~35M lead.

I don't think it's that simple. I think the XB1S started outselling the PS4 (in the US and maybe UK only, I might add... by a small margin overall) for a combination of reasons:
-It was heavily marketed (borderline misleading IMO), cheaper, sleeker and a cheap 4K blu-ray player; so not only did it attract new buyers, but also appealed to existing owners.
-PS4 Pro was announced a few months early, with a release date close enough to hinder sales leading up to launch.

PS4 lost only September and October in UK... And did the best PS4 November in UK...

Out of US and UK, the PS4 is the default console. In France and Germany the last number we had it was 3 PS4 to 1 Xbox One in France and 4,25 PS4 to 1 Xbox One, it is country where the situation is not so bad for Xbox One. Some Tiers1 country like Spain, last number was 6 or 7 to 1 don't remember exactly.

In Tiers 2 country like Switzerland and Luxembourg the situation is very bad for Microsoft. I was living near border in France and working in Luxembourg and I was in a big mall in one shop I did see the Xbox One has the same place than the Wii U. I search a PS4 Pro since two weeks in Switzerland where I live now and I find one shop where they were trying to sell Xbox One Kinect pack. I was surprise and I ask a question to one employee about sales, he tells me the sales of Xbox One are very low in Switzerland...

Last edited:
Your response of feigned surprise is what's trolling, especially when you admit you have no idea how many units have been sold but see contradictory reports. It's childish.
I did reply with honesty and factual data aswell as disproving other guys point, I guess to you that's trolling but to me trolling is spreading false information as facts.

Besides my numbers are common sense and up to that point factual (contradicts wrong info)
The 83.4 Million figure according to the dates you gave seems to be missing the sales between November 2nd and December 31st, which was a multi million quarter for the PS3, it shipped 3.3 million units during that holiday 2013 quarter and it would be logical to assume that quite a few of those was after the November 2 date.
Umh date I listed was end of 2014 not end of 2013, and according to VG Charts own data shows xbox 360 outsold PS3 in those months

Umh date I listed was end of 2014 not end of 2013, and according to VG Charts own data shows xbox 360 outsold PS3 in those months

Your post stated 80 million units at November 2nd 2013 and then someone had just added 2014 sales of 3.4M to that getting the 83.4M, but both of those figures ignore the sales between November 2nd and December 31st of 2013. There is a gab there, 2013 didn't end on November 2nd did it?

Aaron Greenberg said that Quantum Break exceeded Microsoft’s expectations in terms of sales, but that was hard to believe. Now we have more information about the game:

No one ever comes to me and says "Hey Jeff, we have this small project with a great glide path that requires no travel", so I wasn't shocked when I was asked to take on Quantum Break. A little more than a year out, a significant portion of the Microsoft staff moved to other companies or projects. Internal perception on the title was grim, and user research scores for fun were a large contributor to that. My job was to upend the schedule, figure out what really needed to get done to improve the quality, and get it done with the resources and time we already had allocated.

Cut forward to April of 2016, and Quantum review scores improved 25-30% from projections, and sales were outpacing forecasts by 30%. Quantum became the fastest selling Microsoft original title on Xbox One, the best selling digital release ever for Xbox, and ended with user reviews in the low 80's

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffbrowndesigns

Your post stated 80 million units at November 2nd 2013 and then someone had just added 2014 sales of 3.4M to that getting the 83.4M, but both of those figures ignore the sales between November 2nd and December 31st of 2013. There is a gab there, 2013 didn't end on November 2nd did it?
No my post was from Sony own release and said 80M as of Novemeber 2013 and 3.4M shipped in 2014 not like they skipped some months in their reports in order to give themselves unfavorable numbers

Anyway whats surprising to me is that xbox one sold 4 million more units than xbox360 in year less timeframe

No my post was from Sony own release and said 80M as of Novemeber 2013
80 million as of 2nd November, leaving all of November and December to sell more PS3's, the busiest two months for sales. The 3.4 million shipped figure doesn't represent replacements for these consoles but as much stock as the market wanted. So far more than 3.4 million PS3s could have been (and probably were) sold since November 2nd 2013. It could be that there were six million PS3's in the channels, 4 million were sold in the holiday period 2013, 3.4M were distributed in 2014 and finally all stock sold by the end of 2014 for a total of 87.4M units.

We literally don't know. Your maths doesn't work though as your missing the amount of stock in the channels.

No my post was from Sony own release and said 80M as of Novemeber 2013 and 3.4M shipped in 2014 not like they skipped some months in their reports in order to give themselves unfavorable numbers

I'm sorry, but how is this so hard for you to understand...?

PS3 was at 80M as of November 2nd 2013, NOT as of December 31st!. I know this comes from Sony's own statement, but this was released on November 6th 2013. That does not include end of year results. So Sony didn't skip any months. You are doing it and whoever did the Wikipedia entry and seemingly don't understand it.

1. 3.4M 2014 sales don't include any sales from 2013

2. 80M up to November 2nd 2013, doesn't include any sales after November 2 2013.

still following me?

And therefore adding 3.4M and 80M does not give you sales at the end of 2014.

Sony released the end of year 2013 results only in February 2014 and at that time they didn't separate PS3 and PS4, those combined did 7.8M units.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/13q3_sonypre.pdf
(page 18 as printed in the pdf fiscal Q3)

Later on Sony started to separate the numbers again and also reactively to a degree. That's why we know that PS3 did 3.3M units in calendar Q4 2013

But how many of those were sold prior or after November 2nd is anyone's guess. It's fair to guess that quite a few of them were shipped after the cutout point though, so therefore the actual PS3 shipped figure at the end of 2014 is quite a bit more than the 83.4M you tossed around. I'd guess at least 2M more.

Anyway whats surprising to me is that xbox one sold 4 million more units than xbox360 in year less timeframe
If you're talking about launches aligned, then it's not really surprising considering the XB1 wasn't very supply constrained at launch. Both Sony and MS were well prepared for their respective launches.
Plus XB1 is coming off of a very successful X360, whereas X360 released after a lukewarm Xbox.

Fast-forward to today and I think XB1 is tracking slightly behind (or very close to) X360 if the 26-29M range is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back