All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's still room for a MS entertainment device that both leverages and supports the PC, rather than competes with it (as was the case until recently).

Potential "gaming" PCs are on the one hand benefiting from a far higher standard of integrated graphics, but on the other hand being eroded by ultrathin laptops, tablets and phones. And those little USB powered sticks that you plug in to your TV. A good dedicated entertainment device would bring big spending AAA gamers to MS's ecosystem and increase revenue for AAA games on MS platforms.

X1 kinda walks in the middle of the road in that it's vastly more expensive than any number of "smart" streaming devices that can get away with having shag all processing power, while not offering the premium 3rd party console gaming experience.

Perhaps positioning Xbox as a high end device for people who don't want to dick around with big box PCs, that also happens to be the best media consumption device for big screen TVs, might work? Getting carefully optimised builds of quality PC titles will presumably continue to have value as it seems to have the PS4 right now.

latest german chart (all hardware), whats the ratio there xbox1 to ps4 1:5,
just think how much worse it would of been in germany if MS decided to delay the launch of the xbox one until 9 months later like it did with most European countries

01 (01) [PS4] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (>500K)
02 (NE) [PS4] RESIDENT EVIL: ORIGINS COLLECTION
03 (03) [PS4] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (>500K)
04 (NE) [PS4] LIFE IS STRANGE
05 (02) [PS4] FIFA 16 (>500K)
06 (71) [PS4] THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED
07 (05) [PS4] TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: SIEGE
08 (85) [PS4] LEGO JURASSIC WORLD
09 (__) [PS4] CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE
10 (70) [PS4] THE CREW (100-200K)
11 (06) [PS4] STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT (200-500K)
12 (07) [PS4] NEED FOR SPEED (200-500K)
13 (15) [PS4] MADDEN NFL 16
14 (04) [PS4] FALLOUT 4 (200-500K)
15 (__) [PS4] DISHONORED: DEFINITIVE EDITION
16 (__) [PS4] TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 5
17 (__) [PS4] DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION
18 (20) [PS4] JUST CAUSE 3 (100-200K)
19 (__) [PS4] METRO REDUX
20 (08) [3DS] STORY OF SEASONS
21 (NE) [PC] LIFE IS STRANGE
22 (__) [PS4] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER
23 (10) [PS4] MINECRAFT (200-500K)
24 (09) [PS4] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (200-500K)
25 (__) [PS4] RISEN 3: TITAN LORDS

latest german chart (all hardware), whats the ratio there xbox1 to ps4 1:5,
just think how much worse it would of been in germany if MS decided to delay the launch of the xbox one until 9 months later like it did with most European countries

01 (01) [PS4] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (>500K)
02 (NE) [PS4] RESIDENT EVIL: ORIGINS COLLECTION
03 (03) [PS4] GRAND THEFT AUTO V (>500K)
04 (NE) [PS4] LIFE IS STRANGE
05 (02) [PS4] FIFA 16 (>500K)
06 (71) [PS4] THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED
07 (05) [PS4] TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: SIEGE
08 (85) [PS4] LEGO JURASSIC WORLD
09 (__) [PS4] CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE
10 (70) [PS4] THE CREW (100-200K)
11 (06) [PS4] STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT (200-500K)
12 (07) [PS4] NEED FOR SPEED (200-500K)
13 (15) [PS4] MADDEN NFL 16
14 (04) [PS4] FALLOUT 4 (200-500K)
15 (__) [PS4] DISHONORED: DEFINITIVE EDITION
16 (__) [PS4] TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 5
17 (__) [PS4] DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION
18 (20) [PS4] JUST CAUSE 3 (100-200K)
19 (__) [PS4] METRO REDUX
20 (08) [3DS] STORY OF SEASONS
21 (NE) [PC] LIFE IS STRANGE
22 (__) [PS4] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER
23 (10) [PS4] MINECRAFT (200-500K)
24 (09) [PS4] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (200-500K)
25 (__) [PS4] RISEN 3: TITAN LORDS

Core market is transitioning faster than last gen. Keeping pace with 360 sales should be cold comfort in a market that is both not growing and transitioning much faster than it did during the 360's first two years.

Xbox Germany staff must have morale somewhere around the level of a kid who's parents separate on their birthday.

So much doom and gloom, if Xbone (TM) is really selling so bad why do all the third parties bother making games for it?

If you look at many online populations, the ratio isn't even 2:1. Star Wars Battlefront peaks are more like 1.5:1 from www.swbstats.com, Destiny is like 1.3:1 from a chart I saw. Blops 3 leaderboards population, also more in line with 1.5:1. And those are all worldwide by nature.

Xbox is a strong, active 2nd place platform. That's why EA, Ubi, Activision wont dare drop support. The nature of PS4 selling a lot more in minor, less affluent Europe places like Spain, Portugal, East Europe, or Greece, I have to wonder how many of those people are buying games, buying PS+, etc. This can effectively make the active install base closer. If there's two territories you want to be strong in on a profitability basis, it's US+UK (and AU, Canada).

Plus you can knock 2.5 million off PS4 for Japan when it comes to Western games. Those are mostly insulated from western software.

Last edited:
So much doom and gloom, if Xbone (TM) is really selling so bad why do all the third parties bother making games for it?
You answer that yourself. It's a strong enough platform, plus ports are fairly cheap.

Xbox is a strong, active 2nd place platform. That's why EA, Ubi, Activision wont dare drop support. The nature of PS4 selling a lot more in minor, less affluent Europe places like Spain, Portugal, East Europe, or Greece, I have to wonder how many of those people are buying games, buying PS+, etc. This can effectively make the active install base closer.
You're suggesting people buy a console and then don't buy any games for it? If they can't afford software, they probably aren't buying the console. Hence sales of consoles in these countries is pretty small (as you said before, effectively discounting a lot of 'rest of the world' when we talked about MS launching late in Europe and you suggesting it wouldn't have much impact, IIRC).

If you look at many online populations, the ratio isn't even 2:1. Star Wars Battlefront peaks are more like 1.5:1 from www.swbstats.com, Destiny is like 1.3:1 from a chart I saw. Blops 3 leaderboards population, also more in line with 1.5:1. And those are all worldwide by nature.

Xbox is a strong, active 2nd place platform. That's why EA, Ubi, Activision wont dare drop support. The nature of PS4 selling a lot more in minor, less affluent Europe places like Spain, Portugal, East Europe, or Greece, I have to wonder how many of those people are buying games, buying PS+, etc. This can effectively make the active install base closer. If there's two territories you want to be strong in on a profitability basis, it's US+UK (and AU, Canada).
Is it me or are you using only the US sales to make your point?

I know that Vgchartz arent the most accurate but it should give an idea about global sales.
FIFA16 sold more(?) than triple on the PS4 than it did on the XB1
Star Wars Battlefront sold more than double on the PS4
MGS V sales on XB1 are peanuts
Assasin's Creed Syndicate sold more than double on the PS4
Need for Speed sold almost four times more on the PS4. Sales on the XB1 are below the 1 million mark.

Why do third parties make games on the XB1 ?Its install base is good. Not great but good. A third party dev wont completely omit a whole market if the install base is significant for that area (i.e US). How on earth can EA for example not make a madden or Star Wars game on the XB1 in the US?
Some games on the XB1 do happen to break the 1 million mark. Thats a good number. Thats an incentive for the dev to make games on it hoping that their next game could repeat that number.
But lastly its a lot easier to port between platforms than it was before. Costs for an XB1 port arent that much prohibitive. These costs are probably more than covered by its own software sales even though they are relatively much lower. As a business its better to keep customers satisfied than pissed off if they can do it without harming financially the company. Otherwise they could very well be harming their franchises and name in the eyes of those that own an XB1. No company wants that.

I think that he's just being very selective, and using online player count rather than actual software sales. Outside of big budget shooters or when MS has marketing rights, I bet the ratio is 2:1 or more. Software sales breakdowns from the big companies like Ubisoft, EA and Activision will probably paint a better picture, but I think most of them group PS4/XB1 together. The last 2 Ubisoft reports I could find had the PS4 >2:1 of XB1 (32% PS4/15% XB1, then 27% PS4/12% XB1).

Not adding to any doom and gloom for XB1 though... just trying to counter Ranger's attempt of showing that software sales don't follow the same trend of hardware sales. XB1 sales are still good and therefore software sales are strong enough for most third parties to continue to support them. Only certain genres generally don't sell well on XB1, and those are the type of games where we might see no XB1 support.

Plus you can knock 2.5 million off PS4 for Japan when it comes to Western games. Those are mostly insulated from western software.
Not completely 'insulated'; Battlefront and Fallout both sold just under 200k and BLOPS 3 sold close to 300K on PS4 in Japan.

Last edited:

Third parties continued to make games for the Sega Saturn into 1998. This alone isn't proof of any kind of rude health for a platform.

XBone clearly isn't doing as badly as the Saturn, but on the other hand MS aren't as committed to hardware as Sega were. Games that don't sell well in North America won't have a guaranteed future on XBone, and given its drastic loss of market share in a fairly unexciting market (from an investor POV) we can't assume that MS will want to bankroll another billion dollar console.

I know that Vgchartz arent the most accurate but it should give an idea about global sales.
FIFA16 sold more(?) than triple on the PS4 than it did on the XB1
Star Wars Battlefront sold more than double on the PS4
MGS V sales on XB1 are peanuts
Assasin's Creed Syndicate sold more than double on the PS4
Need for Speed sold almost four times more on the PS4. Sales on the XB1 are below the 1 million mark.

Why do third parties make games on the XB1 ?Its install base is good. Not great but good. A third party dev wont completely omit a whole market if the install base is significant for that area (i.e US). How on earth can EA for example not make a madden or Star Wars game on the XB1 in the US?
Some games on the XB1 do happen to break the 1 million mark. Thats a good number. Thats an incentive for the dev to make games on it hoping that their next game could repeat that number.
But lastly its a lot easier to port between platforms than it was before. Costs for an XB1 port arent that much prohibitive. These costs are probably more than covered by its own software sales even though they are relatively much lower. As a business its better to keep customers satisfied than pissed off if they can do it without harming financially the company. Otherwise they could very well be harming their franchises and name in the eyes of those that own an XB1. No company wants that.

Well if we are going to use vgchartz, lets see what it says for the Xbox one global market. About 37 titles did at least 1 million in global unit sales. of those 37 titles, 16 sold at least 2 million. Of those 16, 7 did at 3mil. Of those 7, 1 went 4 mil, 1 went 5 mil and 1 did 6 mil.

If we ignore where this data is coming from, is a 20 million user base for a 2 year old console with that level of software sales considered good or bad by B3D?

Well if we are going to use vgchartz, lets see what it says for the Xbox one global market. About 37 titles did at least 1 million in global unit sales. of those 37 titles, 16 sold at least 2 million. Of those 16, 7 did at 3mil. Of those 7, 1 went 4 mil, 1 went 5 mil and 1 did 6 mil.

If we ignore where this data is coming from, is a 20 million user base for a 2 year old console with that level of software sales considered good or bad by B3D?
I think Nesh's point was that software sales are generally 2:1 or more (to counter Ranger's post), not that they're bad on XB1. In fact, I don't think anyone said that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back