First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Soft shadows (occlusion) and indirect lighting could be an area where these consoles keep their own. When these are processing dependent rather than texture/memory dependent, the closed-hardware will be very advantageous in developers targetting implementations. And a game with these lighting effects will continue to look awesome for a good while to come.

Oh, I agree completely, I just don't think we should be looking for these things so soon in either of these consoles life span, if at all.

Oh, I agree completely, I just don't think we should be looking for these things so soon in either of these consoles life span, if at all.
Actually KZ is exactly the game to look for it! Indirect lighting is supposed to be in there. It wasn't clear in the origianl showiong, but the presentation on KZ's lighting tech showed the indirect lighting pass and it looked convincing, and these latest screenshots show much clearer secondary illumination. I'm hopeful yet!

61463_med.jpg

61464_med.jpg

61465_med.jpg

:runaway:

The one thing that's still missing is a sense of depth, right now you can't really distinguish between enemies close and far away from the player and the same goes for the buildings, too. Fog, layers of dust and/or smoke, whatever, but it needs more to better separate the foreground and background.

Apart from this, it looks really good.
Maybe the color depth is a bit lacking for all the post processing a bit, or there's some other reason for loosing the high luminance levels...

The one thing that's still missing is a sense of depth, right now you can't really distinguish between enemies close and far away from the player and the same goes for the buildings, too. Fog, layers of dust and/or smoke, whatever, but it needs more to better separate the foreground and background.

Thats called camouflage. They dont want to wear white coats with neon signs "shoot me" on the battlefied. :) But yeah, color pallete reminds me to Quake 2 single player. All in 256 collors, ;)

[edit]

OFFTOPIC:
frame1.jpg

Oh my god...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats called camouflage. They dont want to wear white coats with neon signs "shoot me" on the battlefied. :)

Sense of depth is very important for a 3D game. Especially if you don't have stereo vision, you need to be able to feel the distances. It's an artistic issue, usually independent of gameplay/story stuff and quite more important as well.

The common way for this is to add fog and atmospherics; you can use hw fog, depth-dependent color correction (usually lowering the contrast), or multiple layers of particle smoke/fog.

And the color stuff is probably more about math issues; -might- be the result of a 8-bit framebuffer and lack of precision. It could look a lot better with the same palette, but without the clamping...

Apart from this, it looks really good.
Maybe the color depth is a bit lacking for all the post processing a bit, or there's some other reason for loosing the high luminance levels...

I can

One of the reasons why I'm wondering about its apparent lack in the screenshots. Black levels should be raising steadily with distance...
I agree, but I have no doubts that it will be 'fixed', they have a very powerful post processing machinery at work! :)

I think that's because we are looking at a screenshot. It may be a non-issue in game. We react to motion and gun flare first. The nearest and largest moving "mass" is going to hold the player's attention for the next 1-2 seconds before either or both die.

Where in the world did the pictues come from ?

That dude in the third picture reminds me of the old Solid Snake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back