First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

Looks like it to me. If they were using RT GI, we would have heard about it.

End result is great looking though.

In these types of games (big buildings/ limited walk area) they usaully have prebaked shadows for parts where you cant get close to. No need unless they are going to have thunders and such that will illuminate and make objects cast shadows in different directions.

A number of the 'GI' solutions being touted out there use precalculated 'stuff' but it isn't quite in the same vein as the prebaked lighting you're used to (i.e. a simple texture lookup). As I heard it reported, they said it was a mix of precalculated and runtime computation, which is congruent with my understanding of what other 'RT GI' approaches are doing.

They've mentioned before their doing 'GI'/lighting stuff on Cell and RSX - so we have actually heard about it ;) If that was entirely precalculated, there'd be no computation to do. I'm sure if we hear from the Develop conference, you'll get details on how their pipeline works. In any event, the end result looks fantastic in terms of lighting.

The trailer as is up on GT isn't IMO good enough to determine much on the tech front, because it jumps around too much. ie. We can't determine the contribution of any realtime indirect-lighting engine.

It looks good, and captures the sense of the E305 trailer. It still looks like a game though. Smoke and fire are still weaknesses, missing the voluminous quality from E305. Lighting seems hit and miss to me too. Some moment look great, but other look plain wrong, such as the descent in the lander. The marines faces are too bright. Shadows also seem to take days off... Post-processing effects looked excellent, giving a very realistic sense of motion, and frantic motion at that.

I look forward to seeing gameplay footage for the sake of getting to take a closer look.

The trailer as is up on GT isn't IMO good enough to determine much on the tech front, because it jumps around too much. ie. We can't determine the contribution of any realtime indirect-lighting engine.

It looks good, and captures the sense of the E305 trailer. It still looks like a game though. Smoke and fire are still weaknesses, missing the voluminous quality from E305. Lighting seems hit and miss to me too. Some moment look great, but other look plain wrong, such as the descent in the lander. The marines faces are too bright. Shadows also seem to take days off... Post-processing effects looked excellent, giving a very realistic sense of motion, and frantic motion at that.

I look forward to seeing gameplay footage for the sake of getting to take a closer look.

You have to remember the target date of this game though. They will iron out these glitch issues by release.

Smoke & fire fx can't be expected to match the cgi trailer, but they've done a very nice job to this point IMO.

You have to remember the target date of this game though. They will iron out these glitch issues by release.
Sure. Doesn't stop me commenting on what I see now though! And there's a lot of hope perhaps for this indirect lighting that was mentioned previously. That'd be quite something if it's there, but this trailer is too quick to determine any such thing. It may not even be there now, and only make it later some months down the line. If it even exists...:???:

I think the fire looks better in motion possibly than in stills..the behaviour of the fire looks very nice, the part with the wind blowing the fire almost off the soldier looked neat. I can see why some might think there's room for polish on the appearance of the particles, though.

Not sure I agree about the smoke..I thought it looked nice. It looks very stylised, you can tell they're trying for a similar appearance as in the old trailer. It's not going to look as perfect as that, but it does a decent job as is I think.

Screw expectations - what they've demonstrated is simply phenomenal considering all the crap they've had to put up with, warranted or not.

Color me impressed.

Sure. Doesn't stop me commenting on what I see now though! And there's a lot of hope perhaps for this indirect lighting that was mentioned previously. That'd be quite something if it's there, but this trailer is too quick to determine any such thing. It may not even be there now, and only make it later some months down the line. If it even exists...:???:

Fair enough. Agreed.

To the list of "nitpicks" I'd like to see improved texture detail. But I won't hold my breath for it. These consoles only have so much memory and must sacrifice in areas to make room for others. Would be nice to see some developers making use of cell to produce procedurally generated textures in RT for added "grit/grime" details and other such textures without having to use system ram.

Im not impressed. It looks good, dont get me wrong, and finally a game with no overdone glossyness (but why did they had to make everything brown? use some color dammit) and I like the artstyle but if I compare it with halo3 or mass effect I dont think its anything earthshocking. Its defenitly not what we were made to believe it would be, thoug ofcourse ''we'' knew it wouldnt be like the CG trailer but still.

We dont know anything about the gameplay yet, but I get the feeling it will be KZ1 all over again. Hyped up alot but in the end a game that isnt very special.

really nicely done! i'm pleasantly suprised as well. the competition for the best looking fps will be stiff one (cod4, crysis, haze, halo3 all look spectacular in their own ways) but it looks like this title is going to hold its own comfortably.

I think the fire looks better in motion possibly than in stills..the behaviour of the fire looks very nice, the part with the wind blowing the fire almost off the soldier looked neat. I can see why some might think there's room for polish on the appearance of the particles, though.

The fire/close up explosion looks low-res and low detail (the fire trails for the falling objects are alright) even in the HD video and the fire on the soldier looks like a sprite animation stuck on him ('the fire does not embrace him'). But the devs may fix this up for final game release, I am shure.

Last edited by a moderator:
really nicely done! i'm pleasantly suprised as well. the competition for the best looking fps will be stiff one (cod4, crysis, haze, halo3 all look spectacular in their own ways) but it looks like this title is going to hold its own comfortably.

Agreed.

I think MS will have a real tough time to match this title in 2008.

Fair enough. Agreed.

To the list of "nitpicks" I'd like to see improved texture detail. But I won't hold my breath for it. These consoles only have so much memory and must sacrifice in areas to make room for others. Would be nice to see some developers making use of cell to produce procedurally generated textures in RT for added "grit/grime" details and other such textures without having to use system ram.

Procedurally generated textures use just as much ram as "regular" textures.

Agreed.
I think MS will have a real tough time to match this title in 2008.
well imho cod 4 looks better than both halo3 and killzone 2 at this stage (based on the limited demostrations of course) and only god knows how each studio will improve(or downgrade) their games untill the releases so i say: anything is possible!

Procedurally generated textures use just as much ram as "regular" textures.
Not compared to animated textures. A fire effect with 30 frames will use up 30x as much RAM as a single frame which is redrawn procedurally each frame. Perhaps better than creating a texture would be drawing a 3D volumetric plasma over the framebuffer, but that's probably asking a bit much!

It will look better than it does now and will most likely be the best looking game on this scale on a console for a few months until someone else raises the bar.

It will look better than it does now and will most likely be the best looking game on this scale on a console for a few months until someone else raises the bar.

Agreed.

Sony has made the right move by backing this game up with proper financial backing and the results so far are very promising.

Again, MS will have a problem answering this game in 2008 IMO.

Back