Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
MS sounded very confident that they will have the most powerful console in 2017.
Phil Spencer sensibly caveated his "most powerful console" with "I believe" (or was it "we believe"?) . Nobody takes anything for granted.

So.. Game of Thrones eh? :runaway:

What will be slightly amusing if Sony now is making plans for a more powerful console in 2018 and they announce it in 2017 before Scorpio comes out. Which then prompts Microsoft to make plans for a more powerful console in 2019 and announce it in 2018 before Sony's console comes out.

So on odd years, Microsoft has the more powerful console and on even years, Sony has the more powerful console. :p

Amusing, but I don't think it'll happen. I think the plan for each company is likely for a new console every 3-4 years. That will lead to a more impressive and visually noticeable upgrade than every 2 years. Or to think of it another way. Every 2-3 GPU generations, depending on how well AMD can execute.

Regards,
SB

What will be slightly amusing if Sony now is making plans for a more powerful console in 2018 and they announce it in 2017 before Scorpio comes out. Which then prompts Microsoft to make plans for a more powerful console in 2019 and announce it in 2018 before Sony's console comes out.
The kind of circle-jerkery than you can see happening in the console market. :yep2:

So this announcement could hurt Xbox sales until 2017.

Question is, can it also hurt PS4 and PS4 Neo sales for the next year or two?

It may have an effect. It may not.

If a game comes out that you want to play and you don't have a XBO/PS4/PC capable of playing the game what do you do?

Probably not a PC as that's a significant investment if you aren't already a PC gamer.

Maybe a PS4, but only if you don't want to get a XBO-T or if you want to eventually own both platforms anyway.

Maybe an XBO-S, you can sell your XBO when XBO-T comes out and you'll still be able to play all of your games.

Regards,
SB

I mean presumably that's why they announced it now, about 18 months before it's going to release.

Of course they don't want it to hurt X1 sales from now until Scorpio.

So they're obviously trying to steal Sony's thunder with the Neo announcement and release.

Of course pricing will all be the key. If Scorpio launches at $500 or more, then it's not going to be so exciting, despite all the power.

Time will tell. We're not even three years into this generation and given the attach rates for PS4 recently published (which felt low to me but then I own about 30-40 full priced PS4 games), if you're going to jump platforms it's better to do it earlier twhen you're likely writing off less of a game investment. The more invested a gamer is in terms of the games they've purchased (digitally, discs can be sold/traded), the harder it'll be to leap to the other platform and lose those games.

Put it this way, Microsoft have nothing to lose in terms of affecting potential PlayStation 4/Neo sales, their only risk in announcing Scorpio so early is the same risk faced by Sony with Neo; potentially disgruntled existing customers who don't like the idea of a better version of the console they own.

Will say one thing though, MS is doubling down on Xbox, when a year or two ago, there was a question about whether Nadella would be committed to it, with activist investors telling him to spin it off or just get out of it.

they will still optimise, and for the foreseeable future optimisations made for the lower one will help the more powerful one also.
You really belive they will? Ther's no point in that anymore, because it's possible to get at least two-three time more from game on Scorpio without any optimisations.

I'm sure there will be games that's just not possible on the lower end console, but then what your getting is innovation quicker than having to wait for a while new generation.
That was the point, you buy new console an for 5-6 years, you just play on it and see how developers get more and more from it. Push it to it's limits.

Perhaps Naughty Dog/Remedy/Insert developer of choice are telling Sony/Microsoft they've already wrung almost all they can from the current gen.
I don't think so. Look at original Xbox, whic was almost like regular PC. It was 4 year on market and each year developers improved graphics. And it the end there were even Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry Instincts, which had 10 time better graphics than lunch titles. So I don't think what PS4 potentioal is used more that 50-60% now.

Personally, I don't care that Scorpio is going to launch in 18 months.

I'm still going to buy a XB1S to replace my XB1 which will then replace the PS3 that sounds like a helicopter even while watching Netflix in the bedroom.

18 months is a very long ways away, and in the meantime, I can re-watch House of Cards is stunning 4k! :D

I was hoping to be able to play State of Decay 2, with some Co-op buddies, but I guess that'll be one of my Scorpio launch titles.

Will say one thing though, MS is doubling down on Xbox, when a year or two ago, there was a question about whether Nadella would be committed to it, with activist investors telling him to spin it off or just get out of it.

Frankly I think gaming is probably Microsoft's best shot of getting a foothold in a sustainable, profitable industry with growth. Phones were an expensive disaster, Azure is very cool but so expensive compared to AWS, they've written off Windows licensing revenue (I'm not convinced they'll stick to this long term) but they know gaming.

They've had all the pieces for years they've just never been able to execute it. They're still be fighting Steam on PC and Sony and Nintendo on console but it's probably their best shot. Their R&D guys may be coming up with cool tech (Surface table, IllumiRoom, HoloLens) but unless these become profitable through products or patent licensing, they're a money drain.

I am glad they're sticking around. A console market with just a Nintendo and Sony would not be good for consumers.

Some hopes for Scorpio apart from all the power talk

• USB Type-C with Thunderbolt 2. (with adapters for old controllers)
  • Detachable Drive port with NVME. If they have Thunderbolt 2, maybe not really needed.
  • Support for Freesync

The kind of circle-jerkery than you can see happening in the console market. :yep2:

These mid-cycle console refresh are the best thing to happen to this generation in a good while, we have fan boys sticking their chest out and bragging about specs in ways we haven't seen since the dust settled on the opening of this round and reality had set in. People barely care about sales, comparison videos, you name it - its been flat for so long now but now that MS is back in the race we got swagger.

And if the console norm is now iterative improvement with BC/FC... Nvidia is out of the game for a loooooong time.
Well they do have Nintendo for the NX. Whatever that's worth.

Scorpio is a smart play. Its obvious the specs aren't nailed down yet but the way they are allowing devs to take advantage of it. The fact that it seems all the hardware will work with the new console is also great news.

For 4k gaming and VR you need more than the current gen is capable of so you might as well go big.

However for me , I have a pc and a rift. I will most likely skip scorpio but I love the fact that with cross buy and play I can now play with all my friends that get scorpio

Scorpio is a smart play. Its obvious the specs aren't nailed down yet but the way they are allowing devs to take advantage of it. The fact that it seems all the hardware will work with the new console is also great news.

For 4k gaming and VR you need more than the current gen is capable of so you might as well go big.

However for me , I have a pc and a rift. I will most likely skip scorpio but I love the fact that with cross buy and play I can now play with all my friends that get scorpio

But you're not really skipping out on the xbox (PC) platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back