Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by mpg1, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

The layout render shows 12 dimms on the top so isn't that a 384 bit bus?
    Also 12 or 24 gb if its double-sided.

I copied that post into this thread, so scroll back a few posts. :)

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yeah, I would expect GDDR5x to be cost prohibitive for a console that has to fit everything within a very narrow price range.

Regards,
    SB

3. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

interesting times ahead, competition between sony and MS will be at it's highest.
    I'll stick with the less powerfull neo because of PSVR(can't afford a scorpio + VR just one year later), and i hope they'll both go all out with amazing games.
    DF faces off will be awesome lol
    I don't think sony can/will bump up specs, maybe they'll choose the better CPU option they were hesitating on.

milk likes this.
  4. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

By next year there might be 16gbits gddr5 parts...

BRiT likes this.
  5. Bagel seed

Veteran

From their carefully crafted wording, it sounds like they're open to having exclusive Scorpio games. Maybe even at launch?

6. ramr

Newcomer

Sigh - such a disappointing conference. Total failure on the model S and then Scorpio turns out to be utterly pedestrian for a Holiday 17 launch.

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

At most I would imagine they'd be timed exclusives if the developers don't have time to finish a Windows PC version.

Regards,
    SB

8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

It'll still be ahead of what Sony has planned for their console refresh.

9. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I'll surprised they mentioned the scorpio, thought they may have teased, maybe a phill tshirt with Scorpio on or something
    you could be right, we'll see soon. The problem is Sony doesn't need to do much at the moment

Heinrich04 and BRiT like this.
  10. bunge

Regular Newcomer

Microsoft selling XBox confirmed.

egoless, McHuj and Heinrich04 like this.
  11. ramr

Newcomer

Sure, unless Sony can upclock their GPU. What wasn't mention is whether or not this full Polaris 10 or mini-vega. Now, if they were launching at $399 this holiday the specs would look truly spectacular. I just think that having a 2-2.5 TF slim at < $250 and 8-10TF, HBM2 scorpio at $499 launch year, $399 second holiday is a much more compelling portfolio for 2017 holiday launch.

12. Jwm

Jwm
    Veteran Regular

With the t-shirt I knew something was up.

13. Liandry

Regular Newcomer

I think Scorpio announcement means end of console gaming for me. I really like see what each console is capable of. But now we will not see all potential of Xbox One and PlayStation 4. And Xbox Scorpio and PlayStation 4K also, because for sure there also will be newer consoles in 3-4 years after them.

14. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

MS sounded very confident that they will have the most powerful console in 2017.

I am pretty sure they know something. Unless Sony played the same game they did with PS4 and MS as well as all of us are caught by surprise again

egoless likes this.
  15. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

they will still optimise, and for the foreseeable future optimisations made for the lower one will help the more powerful one also.

I'm sure there will be games that's just not possible on the lower end console, but then what your getting is innovation quicker than having to wait for a while new generation.

16. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

that's a whole year(min) away.
    by then more people getting entrenched in sony ecosystem, and due to their market dominance people may think that the neo is here, psvr is here, so maybe its good enough?

depends on cost and how far away between each other the releases are, etc

17. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

Really how come? I felt conference was average but not disappointing.

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm thinking that the worst case scenario is that any projects that have already started development will continue along like nothing happened although they might add in some extra stuff for PS4 Neo and XBO-T. But it's possible for new projects just starting some developer's may spend less time than they previous did to attempt to optimize for ESRAM usage instead falling back on whatever automatic method Microsoft has for the machine to use it as a cache. This will have some non-negligible impact assuming those developers would have optimized for ESRAM in the first place (even now not all developer's might be doing that).

But overall I don't think end users will really notice if they have or haven't. I mean something like the ground fog in the Fallout 4 DLC. People seem to fine with it's removal on PS4, and that might be a case where ESRAM optimizations is why it's playable on XBO but unplayable on PS4.

Regards,
    Sb

19. kalelovil

Regular

The Xbox One/Playstation 4 have more conventional architectures than most previous consoles. Perhaps Naughty Dog/Remedy/Insert developer of choice are telling Sony/Microsoft they've already wrung almost all they can from the current gen.

20. trainplane

Newcomer

If Sony were to try to match Scorpio, does anybody really think they'll even be able to make holiday 2017, let alone Spring 2017? They might be able to upclock a tiny bit as the XBox One did for the CPU but that's extent of it unless they go for a big redesign. MS is put themselves out there by revealing the specs so they're confident that Scorpio will be the most powerful console when it launches. Why are people having a hard time believing this?

As for cross-compatibility, I'm disappointed if MS will mandate this for the life of Scorpio. To me, the best way to handle it is to gradually grow exclusive Scorpio only games as the user base grows. First year, none, second year, a few, third year, more, etc. That's a gradual transition and gives Scorpio owners something to really look forward to (games fully targeting 6 TFLOPS) without completely alienating XBO users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.