PlayStation suite

Anyway, if one was truly interested one could just log into MSDN and see almost everything.

Huh ? Out with it. I have an MSDN account. Where should I look ?

The only thing I would like to say is that I think the timetable is too long and the pace is glacial.

Yeah, this is one of my greatest fear for the platform. It may be overtaken by events (too late !) by the time Sony release it. ^_^

Why don't they do an open beta like PS Home ? [rub hands]
Might become a white elephant otherwise

EDIT: Hmph... must be XNA stuff.

EDIT 2:
NathansFortune said:
I just tend not to out of respect for Sony's marketing people (who are handling the launch of Suite terribly IMO) who want to stick to a stated plan rather than have an anonymous internet poster spill the beans ahead of time.

You should let them know ! ^_^

If Sony don't know they handle everything pretty terribly these days, I doubt one or two voices will enlighten them. :p

I can see some operational differences recently. Also more energy. ^_^

The advertising concepts still s*ck unfortunately.

Playstation Store coming to Xperia S in mid-March
http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/03/02/playstation-store-coming-to-xperia-s-in-mid-march/

One of the less-touted features of the Xperia S is that it is a PlayStation Certified device, in fact it is the only device to receive certification out of the current Xperia NXT line up. In our curiosity we thought we’d see if the PlayStation Store was any different to that on the Xperia PLAY. However, it looks like Sony Mobile isn’t quite ready to go live with the Xperia S version just yet.

When trying to open the “Let’s start PS Store” app we were greeted with a message saying that it won’t officially open until the middle of the month.

We'll probably get more PS Suite news next week in GDC.

The store is useless without a healthy supply of PS Suite software.

This article talks about the history of Tablet P (Why it was created):
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/07/sony-tablet-p-prototypes/

Now I understand their motivation better, but I think it's putting the cart in front of the horse. They should come up with the vision first, and then look for tech and teams to put it together. Don't drag the same old philosophy/concept for years, and try to shoehorn it in new products.

Just reading the summary, it sounds like very flawed design. "We want a clamshell computer. Now they ahve these tablet things, let's make that old clamshell idea even though it's dumb when wanting a single contiguous screen for interfacing with."

I finally got to see and play with a Tablet P in person. It was in the Stanford Mall Sony Style store. The salesman told me they just got it yesterday. ^_^

I like the device much better after playing with it. The biggest problem is its price point ($549). Although the screens are separated by a thin border, it is bearable. The build quality is noticeably higher and sleeker than Tablet S. But yeah, I think the price point alone is sufficient to render Tablet P irrelevant to most people.

When closed it's about an inch wider than Vita all round. Too bad I already bought a Vita. I still want to own an Android device some day. Perhaps when they upgrade P to Android 4 and give it better support, I'll give it (or its revision) another look. For now, the device is also missing a dock.

I remember Tablet S, and recent Xperias all have a LiveDock or a Smart Dock.

Look what someone on neogaf found. ;)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...ng-support-for-content-development-2012-03-07

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that it will release the open beta version of PlayStation®Suite SDK*(1) to content developers in April 2012 and the official version later this year.

SCE will also release the official version of PlayStation®Suite SDK at $99 US annually later this year, allowing content developers to have their content distributed through the PlayStation®Store*(2) on a commercial basis.

Heh heh, still not good enough. Google just announced Google Play today to replace Android Market. It will consolidate and clarify the user experiences further.

If Sony sees PS Suite as merely an App Store + $99 SDK, then they will likely fall behind some more. ^_^

Need more details about every aspect of the "ecosystem". Hopefully GDC reveals more.

Heh heh, still not good enough. Google just announced Google Play today to replace Android Market. It will consolidate and clarify the user experiences further.

If Sony sees PS Suite as merely an App Store + $99 SDK, then they will likely fall behind some more. ^_^

Need more details about every aspect of the "ecosystem". Hopefully GDC reveals more.

Can you link me to the Google PLay news pls.

Also, this PS Suite, will it allow devs to develop for the Vita too? or just those PS certified phones?

Also, this PS Suite, will it allow devs to develop for the Vita too? or just those PS certified phones?

Vita and Certified Phones. So if this means I can basically develop apps for Vita using Visual Studio, this is like a dream come true for me.

Vita and Certified Phones. So if this means I can basically develop apps for Vita using Visual Studio, this is like a dream come true for me.

Yeah. Hopefully it will become a good pipeline for all those cool little iOS and Android games that desperately need some real buttons.

So, devs will have to port thier android games to vita os? I am confused regarding ps suite :???: ! Does it mean that i will be able to develop for Vita just like i am developing for the ipad/iphone/android right now ?

So, devs will have to port thier android games to vita os? I am confused regarding ps suite :???: ! Does it mean that i will be able to develop for Vita just like i am developing for the ipad/iphone/android right now ?

Basically yes. PS Suite is a .NET Framework type affair specifically intended to make games run on multiple platforms, with a uniform interface to control options (including virtual or real buttons), default (hopefully as slick as the Vita stuff) UI libraries, handling of resolution and importantly a baseline hardware performance level. So Playstation Certified phones (for instance running Android and PS Suite) will have at least x amount of memory, cpu and gpu power.

At least, that's what I understand it. Development may be even easier than Android, because by default it uses Visual Studio .NET with C# (and obviously comes with a virtual device as well).

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more, and if they do release public beta in April, they may well be able to be more open about it now during GDC. Hopefully it is as good as it seems.

So, we can use regular retail vitas to develop games for it ? Won't require a devkit?
So, basically now there are two ways to develop for Vita:

£1600 sdk with devkit to develop for the PSN.

$99 license for developing for PSSuite. No devkits, anyone can program.

Is this the picture now?

I have no idea yet about how you get your games on the Vita during development, don't remember if that was discussed, but other than that, yes I think that's it. However for iOS you pay an additional fee from the SDK for publishing in the App Store I think, and I haven't heard anything about that on the PS Suite / PSN side either.

iOS just has a $99 /year license fee and u can develop using any regular retail unit. No other costs.

Are you sure you don't need to pay another $99 for publishing in the App Store? Last time I looked this was the case. Perhaps this changed? I strongly remember that $99 only got me a licence key so I could make my Apps run on my iDevices rather than in the simulator, and now I don't think you can even download the SDK if you don't pony up the $99.

I'm still catching up on the news. Here's a sample. I haven't read all of them. Got them quickly off Google results to get a rough sense of what the naysayers think:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/introducing-google-play-all-your.html
http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/06/goodbye-android-market-hello-google-play/
http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/06/google-play-what-the-hell-was-wrong-with-android-market/
http://blogs.computerworld.com/19840/google_play

Yes, confirmed for PS certified devices (not just phones, tablets and TVs too) and Vita. PC has a PS Suite emulator. PS3 version remains unconfirmed.

EDIT:
Are you sure you don't need to pay another $99 for publishing in the App Store? Last time I looked this was the case. Perhaps this changed? I strongly remember that $99 only got me a licence key so I could make my Apps run on my iDevices rather than in the simulator, and now I don't think you can even download the SDK if you don't pony up the $99.

$99 is all you pay, plus 30% of transaction.

So, we can use regular retail vitas to develop games for it ? Won't require a devkit?
So, basically now there are two ways to develop for Vita:

£1600 sdk with devkit to develop for the PSN.

$99 license for developing for PSSuite. No devkits, anyone can program.

Is this the picture now?

Yeah, only $99 for PS Suite too. That's why I suggested you should look into it for your game project.
Same as iOS, you can prototype your app on a PC simulator and IDE. You can also deploy it to the retail hardware (Any PS Suite devices) for testing.

I bumped into an ex-Insomniac guy the other day, and that's what he told me too. I don't know anything about publishing games on Vita unfortunately.

Definitely good enough for me!

A business may also need information on the PS Suite market size + momentum (How many devices can run PS Suite today for real ?). Potentially, also marketing campaigns behind PS Suite platform. Plus how it compares with competing ecosystem.

And then any incentives and business models for PS Suite apps. Detailed information about roll out schedule and more !

So many unanswered questions. ^_^

Technology-wise, yes, I like what I read about PS Suite so far. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Yeah, only $99 for PS Suite too. That's why I suggested you should look into it for your game project.
The difference beting one is $99 for countless millions of devices, and the other is $99 for a few million devices. There's something to be said for getting in early on PSS, but at the same time it isn't offering the same potential as the other options.

Back