Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Journalists should stop being so nice and friendly with them, either they're asking the questions that Microsoft gave them, or they're extremely incompetent. They should ask "do I need permission from your DRM server to install a single player disc?" and "How long can an internet downtime last, Harrison said 24 hours, is that correct?".

The PR is obviously misleading and empty, that's a big sign that they're not decided. As soon as they signed the publishing contracts it's all over. If they understand it's a mistake BEFORE E3, it's the best situation for everybody. Saying that it hasn't happened yet is missing the point of the NoDRM campaign completely. The goal is to make them understand the business impact, making the aware of the upcoming consumer backlash, BEFORE it become legally impossible for them to backtrack.

Its USA Today not a game centric website. Your average consumer doesn't care much about DRM. I applaud anyone standing up for a DRM free ecosystem but the reality is most gamers hardcore, core or casual don't really care either. If no one noticed the current consoles have fully implemented DRM systems that have online functionality which kicks in the moment you log into their online service.

Consoles have been basically stepping on the fair use doctrine ever since optical media became a viable form of content distribution. Probably even longer. Consoles probably have the most draconian policy when it comes to content and user restriction. Other than music I don't know of any other console based content that doesn't come without some form of DRM. The only difference between DRM of yesteryear and today is that technological advances and general consumers' desensitivity makes it more feasible to target sore spots for manufacturers and publishers, which is used game sales and piracy.

People complain about Apple's walled garden, but I guess no one pointed out that consoles probably served as wonderful motivation for Apple's direction. People only care when DRM restricts them in some fashion or some potential fashion and is not easily defeatable. But if anyone is okay with the systems that are place now, plan on using their next gen consoles no different than they are using their current console and aren't facing any additional restriction of use then I see no point of complaining.

We are like crackheads complaining about the gov't inability to stop the flow of drugs into our country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harrison told Kotaku that while gamers wouldn’t need an online connection 24/7, they would need a connection from time to time to play even offline, single-player games. Harrison indicated that for non-online functions, users would still need to log in once a day.[/QUOTE]

There is a theory going around that says the 24 hours daily check in only occurs when you play a game without having it's corresponding disc placed in the disc tray.

It's all hearsay evidence for me, bkilian could confirm this, I think, but I guess he is controlled by the NDA when it comes to the Xbox One.

The vitriol at Xbox One is actually not coming from the Sony fans (who are quietly smug that they have the better system for gamers) but from Xbox fans who feel betrayed by MS decisions.

Proelite (who is a big Xbox fan and had insider info) proved to be the vanguard of that movement when he posted this:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=535416

yes you are correct there's some like that but please let's not pretend there are not a lot of Sony fans jumping on the train for fun ... this thread alone is just becoming a train of negativity and makes me question why anyone wants to spend so much time discussing something they clearly have no designs on

You can't resell Steam games, you can't resell Play or App store purchases.

Where is the rage, SMOKE and Tottentranz ?

Cheers

you're just another antagonizing poster who clearly doesnt try to read posts or know where im coming from as a parent who buys used games for his kids.

I know many of times hiw mis and ill informed retailers are with any product especially for something that might be capable of whats being discussed and soccer mom and dad go home to see a used game charge pop up before playing. im just saying

Maybe. Sounds like I'm in luck. You? Not so much. ;)

Tommy McClain

For now, it seems the unlucky ones are those who will invest in a console that might get the same treatment as the Wii U due to being unpopular. :D
BzCaidm.png

Oh but I forgot, it's not a console for gamers so these votes don't really count for its popularity.
Someone should start a poll in apple's forums to see how many of those who bought an apple tv is interested in buying a xbone. I bet the pro-xbone votes would soar!

You seem to be online and posting all the time, you know.
I'll spend the weekend out, with no internets except for the one in my phone.
Don't worry, I won't post anything then.
...Maybe I'll post pictures from the beach just to make people jeallous, but I guess it won't be in this thread.

I imagine most of the civilized world that has enough income to buy an Xbox One and a Live subscription and a lot of content is pretty much like the above. Especially because Hungary isn't the most advanced country in this.

Sure, some people live on farms, others live in the second and third world, but they're not a viable market anyway (except maybe the farm people).

So I still don't see how you can come to the conclusion that "always" online is such an impossible requirement. I believe it's more about you personally being upset for some reason, and trying to come up with some explanation to justify it.

If you keep ignoring my main point (millions of young professionals, (GAMERS, born in the 80's and 90's) who are working abroad in developing countries or rural areas) and all you can think of is farmers, then I really don't expect you to understand the issue at all. Ever.

Come on. You are just being silly now.
Yes, I was.
I thought the smiley would give it away as the joke it was meant to be in response to AzBat's post, but I guess it wasn't enough.

I'm sure that ToTTenTranz apparent hate for Microsoft as displayed in the ongoing Nokia thread started 3 years ago ( http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59207 ) has nothing to do with his obvious fondness of the XBOX One...
Yes, I hate the xbone because microsoft turned nokia into a pile of crap. Makes perfect sense.
Look at all this hatred I spread in this thread, just a couple of pages ago:

(...)
Then Sony got better, but Microsoft? To me, Microsoft was king of everything done right in that time. They launched a cheaper console a year before PS3 that eventually proved to be more progressive in the GPU side, had competitive SKUs all the time, good exclusives, best e-store, good PR, unified controller schemes between Xbox and Windows games.. Save for the RROD issue (which Microsoft handled formidably by actually extending the warranty on their consoles) hat's not to like about the X360?

For the next generation, before the reveal I was really leaning towards the new xbox. I watched the reveal live because I thought it was going to be great.
I was rooting for them to show an evolution to SmartGlass that would finally become a "Wii U done right", with xbox games being playable on any windows machine in the home network; examples of Illumiroom boosting game experiences and live game demos to assure us that we shouldn't worry about the performance deficit to PS4.
(...)

You can't resell Steam games, you can't resell Play or App store purchases.

Where is the rage, SMOKE and Tottentranz ?

Cheers

There's a meme for that:
10i5swh.jpg

For now, it seems the unlucky ones are those who will invest in a console that might get the same treatment as the Wii U due to being unpopular.

What if the Wii U treatment is because the lack of DRM?

EA on Wii U: "We don't have games for Wii U"
EA on XBO: "FIFA, NFL, etc".

For now, it seems the unlucky ones are those who will invest in a console that might get the same treatment as the Wii U due to being unpopular. :D
BzCaidm.png

Oh but I forgot, it's not a console for gamers so these votes don't really count for its popularity.
Someone should start a poll in apple's forums to see how many of those who bought an apple tv is interested in buying a xbone. I bet the pro-xbone votes would soar!

I'm not real concerned with a poll taken 2-3 weeks BEFORE a conference targeted at showing real games. Personally I'm not too concerned about games. I think they will follow what they have done in the past. What will concern me is pricing & I'm not expecting XB1 pricing announced at E3. We will probably hear pricing on the Xbox 360 & the mythical Xbox Mini at E3 though.

BTW, hyperbole much on the WiiU comparison? Microsoft already has exclusive agreements with the top 2 3rd party publishers. I don't consider that the same treatment. If you do, then there's nothing more that we need to discuss.

Tommy McClain

EA on Wii U a year ago: "FIFA, NFL, Mass Effect 3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted". All of them with special adaptations for the tablet.

EA on Wii U today, after knowing how poorly the console sold: (sound of crickets chirping)

See the trend?

FIFA on Wii U = poor port from last year version
NFL on Wii U = poor port from current gen consoles
Mass Effect 3 = same price than trilogy on PS360
NFSMW = the only good game from EA on Wii U

EA Sports on Xbox One = next gen engine, exclusive content
EA on Xbox One:
- FIFA next gen
- NFL next gen
- NBA Live next gen
- UFC next gen
- Need for Speed: Rivals
- Battlefield 4
- Possible Mirror's Edge 2

Current third party games (confirmed):

- Battlefield 4
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts
- Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
- Watch Dogs
- Destiny
- Dying Light
- Need for Speed: Rivals
- Thief
- FIFA 14
- Madden NFL 25
- NBA Live 14
- UFC
- The evil within
- Wolfenstein: New Order
- Zumba Fitness: World Party
- Project Cars

Same than Wii U last year? I don't think so.

Enough with the garbage pile. Go find the appropriate threads to post all these off-topic discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back