Sony Playstation E3 2013 Events

I think Shifty's point wasn't those particularly use cases, but rather the fact that every XB1 game will play with natural interface, be it voice or gestures or head tracking or whatever.

Don't you have a microphone in every DS4?

MS can always drop Kinect
No, they can't. Everything looks designed with it in mind.

What I still wonder is the absence of XB1 specs...
Fact is, if they are really 30% slower, even when price tag will be even you will have to deal with "that is 30% slower" argument. Ugh.

Why? That would be awkward. And how it that better than looking with a joystick or mouse?
In addition to the controller it adds realism. Often gamers adjust their viewing position in games to naturally try to look over hills or around corners. This currently has no effect on the game. PSEye as standard could mean every game could use player's physical cues to enhance the interface with the game.

What is the point? I put my controller down to reach at air when I could of just did it (faster) with the controller?
A controller isn't faster or clearer in many complex UI cases. A controller is akin to a keyboard whereas pointing is akin to a mouse or a tablet. In a realistic example, and Elder Scrolls game, you could have an inventory showing items you and a box to store stuff. With a controller you have to arrange the contents in a list or array, navigate over it, and click a button to equip, to another to discard, or another to transfer. A gesture interface could have you click and drag with your hand in the most intuitive way. Tablets will provide the same sort of interfaces, but they do require more device juggling when working with a controller. A gesture interface lets you hold the controller in the left hand and point with the right - hardly a taxing task. And these are just examples off the top of my head.

What Sony should have done IMO was replace the DS with a split controller like a Move with thumbsticks (sans orbs), and pack the cameras in. This would provide the best of all worlds and enabled PS4 as a true Wii++ platform, super dance console, core FPS consoles, etc. Failing that, they should have packed in the cameras and enabled 'core game+', responding to the player in natural ways. What Sony have actually done is design a console around cameras as standard, adding the trackable light bar on the standard controller, and then give up on the idea and leave it as just another console with the same basic control scheme as PS1's Dual Shock.

Don't you have a microphone in every DS4?
There's a headset jack and mono headset which has a mic.

PS4 can no longer do biometric feedback out of the box (facial expressions, heart rate, yelling, laughing etc). Headtracking is out. In-game emotes based on player gesturing is out. Lip-syncing, facial animation of in-game characters to your voice chat and expressions is out. They can still do them, but you need to buy the device. Not sure how much adoption they'll get. All little things that would be cool to do if Eye had been included. They could have still been the price leader.

No, they can't. Everything looks designed with it in mind.

What I still wonder is the absence of XB1 specs...
Fact is, if they are really 30% slower, even when price tag will be even you will have to deal with "that is 30% slower" argument. Ugh.

MS could easily make an Xbox One Lite that didn't have Kinect. Nothing stopping that really. It's like saying the hard-drive was critical in X360.

You can't just say 30% slower though, you have to demonstrate it and Sony haven't done that yet.

MS could easily make an Xbox One Lite that didn't have Kinect. Nothing stopping that really.
...I beg to disagree.

You can't just say 30% slower though, you have to demonstrate it and Sony haven't done that yet.

I have used the conditional expression - I do not need to demonstrate any thing.
I am just asserting that IF the repeated rumors are true on XB1, then even if you get even on price with PS4 you will get a very unfavorable argument on it.
The fact that MS did not say anything about specs, imho, makes me ponder alot.
If both console were in a 10-15% range, difference would not have mattered given the other specs. If it's not published, it's because it matters to them to keep it secret as much as possible.
For marketing purposes.
Maybe it is really better than PS4. Maybe, not.

Digital Foundry will be happy to oblige on the first wave of multiplats this fall.

It will be interesting to see how those that have touted the importance of "power" respond to the results of these DF head to head articles.

Digital Foundry will be happy to oblige on the first wave of multiplats this fall.

It will be interesting to see how those that have touted the importance of "power" respond to the results of these DF head to head articles.

If Sony needs DF to show a benefit, they already lost that battle.

Everyone I talked to only knows that the next PS4 costs 100$ less than the next Xbox One, just about nothing else. I end up telling them that the Xbox includes Kinect 2.0 and HDMI In, and that those could potentially be quite good (as could WinRT apps). But also of course that the PS4 is more powerful ... But hey, it's clear what message reaches out to 'casuals'.

Lot of people perceive a higher price as being better, especially with electronics. Not counting Bose...oh wait it does work for them! Heh

Your summary doesn't really seem to match the content of the article, unless there's another part I'm missing?

I was just extrapolating the 'not all games need cloud access' with the other statements that have been floating around. Perhaps I over simplified, sorry.

Lot of people perceive a higher price as being better, especially with electronics. Not counting Bose...oh wait it does work for them! Heh

Yes if you want to position yourself as premium brand. But volume may be lower unless you are like Apple.

The next few months we will have a better idea of pre orders, but in the end it won't matter that much. If either has 10-20% more sales i don't see that effecting that much.

This is not a versus thread, so please keep the comparisons out of it.

Just had another order confirmation through from Amazon - it lists the price as £349 but the item subtotal before tax and p&p is only £290.83.

The total order only comes to £351.03. Now that is a bit weird as neither the subtotal or the order total bares any relation to the list price...

Back