5million .... no 8 million kinects sold !

:) Muahahaa, good thing I said 5 million is achievable and is the low estimate (i.e., The real sales MS aims for is higher since they pre-announced the number in the public, and is ready to spend $500m to market it).

8 freakin million units in 60 days ... :oops:

Can we get some context for other system sales?

I remember xbox360 took 12 months to hit 10 million.

How about Wii?

Ipad?

Iphone?

Ps2?

I guess the xbox 360 is now at double the installed base of the xbox 360 ? Took an extra year to accomplish ?

Kinect doing so well might see really strong sales the rest of the year.

apparently the 360 has now outsold the super nes and is the 5th best selling console ever behind the nes. The nes had just shy of 62m . I don't think it can catch the wii and its 77m and climbing sales numbers unless kinect can keep the 360 relevent for another 4 years or so

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Just wow. Wished we got more accessory info from the NPD numbers. Would be interesting to see the SKU breakdown.

Tommy McClain

Dina Bass of Bloomberg News reported on Twitter...

@dinabass said:
Microsoft has clarified to me that the 8 million KInect number is sell in, or how many were shipped to retailers. Not sell thru.

Forecast for Kinect was 5 mln units sold thru to customers. Microsoft says it `far surpassed' the 5 mln sell thru forecast but no exact #

Going forward, Microsoft says it will return to reporting sell in numbers for Kinect, which is what it has always done for consoles.

http://twitter.com/#!/dinabass

Tommy McClain

I'm guessing in this case the 8m is a "shipped" and not "sold-through" number [Edit: As confirmed in the post above mine ;)], but impressive nonetheless. It seems that MS understood the market better than most of us suspected when we said $150 was too expensive for mass market appeal.

I must say I've been recently surprised (ie: the last 2 days) that nearly everything Kinect related is sold out in my local stores (yes, this is a 'personal observation' and I'm in no way assuming the worldwide picture mirrors my local one ;)) I went out a couple of days ago to pick up Your Shape with some credit I have on my Game storecard. They didn't have a single Kinect game from the big titles (Kinect Sports, Dance Cental, Your Shape, Kinectimals) in stock. A couple of copies of EASports Active and a few copies of Motion Sports.

So I went to HMV, not a single Kinect game in stock. Sainsburys, a single copy of Joyride. Tesco, all sold out, Morrisons, a copy of Joyride, 4 Dance Central (which were gone the next day) and a copy of Kinect Sports. PCWorld, nothing. Gamestation, nothing.

In fact, what struck me the most was how decimated the software sections were for the 360 in all of these stores, much more so than the other consoles. Which leads me to believe that people were buying a lot of Kinect bundles and then picking up some other 360 software as well.

Again, I stress this is local (town of 300K in Middle England) and I am in no way assuming that the situation is mirrored in other towns or countries. It's just that I was genuinely stunned to find so little Kinect software available.

I have to be a bit suspicious: when I tried Kinect, I was really unimpressed. So, I have to be That Guy, and figure out how this happened.

My pet theory is that lots of people didn't really want a Kinect, they wanted 360's, but Microsoft managed to move more Kinects through bundling.

I was in the market for a 360 slim to replace my RROD'd device (one month out of extended warranty, grrrr), and found that the standalone Xbox devices were in extremely short supply. Every single retailer I looked at had tons of 4GB+Kinect bundles, but very few retailers had the 250GB console-only SKU. A few friends on the other coast of the US reported a very similar scenario at their locations.

I have to be a bit suspicious: when I tried Kinect, I was really unimpressed. So, I have to be That Guy, and figure out how this happened.

My pet theory is that lots of people didn't really want a Kinect, they wanted 360's, but Microsoft managed to move more Kinects through bundling.

I was in the market for a 360 slim to replace my RROD'd device (one month out of extended warranty, grrrr), and found that the standalone Xbox devices were in extremely short supply. Every single retailer I looked at had tons of 4GB+Kinect bundles, but very few retailers had the 250GB console-only SKU. A few friends on the other coast of the US reported a very similar scenario at their locations.

I dunno man , kinect is a lot of fun. Even my 2 year old nephew is able to play the games. My gf and I have been having kinect parties every week at a diffrent friends house as all of my buddys now have kinects. Its alot of fun .

I just can't wait for new games

I wouldn't say that everyone that bought one is ecstatic about getting it. I'm sure for some buyers, it is more an accessory that made the 360 just that bit more attractive because the idea of a controllerless gaming system is a novelty. Like the Wii, the question will be whether sales can continue and whether people buy the software. Not that I have any doom and gloom ideas about Kinect. I think it will be a success, but I don't think everyone that owns it is running around saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have a friend at work that bought one, and the only additional game he bought was Motion Sports. When I asked him what he thought of it, he said it wasn't very good. The software people choose to buy will really make a difference. I told him about the demos on the Adventures disc, and now his wife wants the dancing game, and I think he'll get Kinect Sports. I'll see what he says then.

I wouldn't say that everyone that bought one is ecstatic about getting it. I'm sure for some buyers, it is more an accessory that made the 360 just that bit more attractive because the idea of a controllerless gaming system is a novelty. Like the Wii, the question will be whether sales can continue and whether people buy the software. Not that I have any doom and gloom ideas about Kinect. I think it will be a success, but I don't think everyone that owns it is running around saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have a friend at work that bought one, and the only additional game he bought was Motion Sports. When I asked him what he thought of it, he said it wasn't very good. The software people choose to buy will really make a difference. I told him about the demos on the Adventures disc, and now his wife wants the dancing game, and I think he'll get Kinect Sports. I'll see what he says then.

Motion sports is absolutely terrible.

It will take more good software to sustain kinect. We'll have to see how it goes.

Could be a shipped number. Even though the banner clearly says "sold" we all know how that goes.

But anyways as far as I can Sony almost exclusively uses shipped=sold, so if it is shipped it's more apples to apples anyway.

Also, when they said 50m 360's, I hope they rounded that down from a good deal higher number. Since they were at 44.5m, that would mean only 5.5 shipped in December quarter, which would be way low from what I was expecting and what NPD numbers suggest.

Edit: So it is confirmed "sell in". Makes sense. No sense reporting the lower sell through number when Sony is reporting "sell in" Move numbers.

Also Aron Greenberg tweeted this in repose to a shipped vs sold question from cliffy b

@therealcliffyb We have no channel inventory, so essentially the same #....every Kinect we make we sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, like a lot of people bought PS3 just for Blu-ray, it's possible a lot of people bought Kinect for remote free movie watching.

Anyway, it's a really huge number, I'm quite impressed. A lot of people opened up Kinects for Christmas, if our logs are any indication. :)

Could be a shipped number. Even though the banner clearly says "sold" we all know how that goes.

But anyways as far as I can Sony almost exclusively uses shipped=sold, so if it is shipped it's more apples to apples anyway.

Also, when they said 50m 360's, I hope they rounded that down from a good deal higher number. Since they were at 44.5m, that would mean only 5.5 shipped in December quarter, which would be way low from what I was expecting and what NPD numbers suggest.

Edit: So it is confirmed "sell in". Makes sense. No sense reporting the lower sell through number when Sony is reporting "sell in" Move numbers.

How many units MS shipped in Q3 2009?

Back