Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but then, Microsoft needs to convince us that their product is "better" than others, including hardware and software prices and better services.

EXACTLY! Hard to be convinced when we don't know the whole story. ;)

Tommy McClain

You can't resell Steam games, you can't resell Play or App store purchases.

Where is the rage, SMOKE and Tottentranz ?

Cheers

As a parent I never just unplugged my kid's Xbox to keep them from getting on the "internet". I used the family tools on the console to setup their accounts to block certain things I didn't want them doing(voice & video chat, buying content, etc) & password protected certain things that I allowed them to have, but only when I chose. I can understand if it's too confusing & you just don't want to mess with it, but Microsoft has been very proactive about helping parents.

As for people having problems with bad Internet every time it storms. I currently live in western Arkansas, but before that I was born & raised in Oklahoma. I've always lived in Tornado Alley. I get some of the worse thunderstorms in the nation. And I've been on the Internet since 1995 & I have never once had storms knock out any of my equipment(internal & external modems, routers, PCs, consoles, TVs). If you have that many issues with your Internet, you're an _EXTREME_EDGE_CASE_. It might be time for you to rethink a few things. Dependence on the Internet is only get worse from here on out. :)

Tommy McClain
Well, if you lived that in person -here in Europe we don't experience that kind of climate with tornadoes and stuff, the problem where I live is an excess of rain and sometimes storms happens-, you know how it is, and (while stable most the time) sometimes I lose the connection for 1 or 2 days if we get a bad storm while I wait for the replacement of the router.

Doesn't happen a lot, but I wouldn't be happy to lose the ability to play something I religiously paid for. Do we own anything we buy anymore?

It reminds me of what bkillian said...

Nor will it work if you have no electricity..
I never felt "safe" using the internet. Maybe it's psychological or something. Perhaps for me it won't happen til they find a way to provide the internet connection using the electrical cabling.

If I don't find a solution to my internet problem -weather, moving, house in the mountains, etc- I am going to move to either Tap In's or DJ12's house, promise. X-D

EXACTLY! Hard to be convinced when we don't know the whole story. ;)

Tommy McClain

Well... what I need to be convinced?

1) Games, a lot of them. If possible, less "you're the controller" and more "core" experiences
2) Prices, prices and prices. Not a $499 console, it must be cheaper than the competence (IMO), and I will not pay more for the same game that looks better in the competence.
3) I need to know how restrictive will be the DRM. Can I play a simple player game even if there's not an internet signal (no 24hrs checking)? Can I trade my game? renting?
4) The Xbox Live policies. Will I need Gold for watching NetFlix, IE or Skype?

Easy? I hope so :oops:

So I guess MS have a choice to make at E3.

Either clear up the PR disaster that the reveal became by clarifying all the issues that have swarmed in the press and on the internet. And possibly get at least two suits to say the same thing.

Or leave all the issues hanging and show some games to a still confused public.

You know why it seems MS is catering to Americans? Because it is a big contiguous market who can be served with a very simple solution (hdmi in). You think that MS doesn't want TV integration to be a marketable feature in every market where the Xbox is sold? That requires a more complex strategy in an effort to provide a capable solution for every region.

Its no different than Live as it was not appropriate for every region at launch. Live was rolled out over time. Same with TV integration. You can't expect any company to hold back features, products or services until that its ready to serve everybody.

So now Microsoft are only targeting americans?
An american console that's great for watching american sports for american people.
It all makes sense now. Good riddance then. :)
Nope. Microsoft is targeting people who have an always-on broadband internet connection. It's quite simple really. Do you really not understand this, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Broadband household penetration in the US is at about 80%, and the US is nowhere near the top of the list, they're at somewhere like 26th in the world. Countries higher than the US include the UK, most of the rest of Europe, and a fair amount of Asia.

The MS bet is that number is only going to increase, but even if it doesn't, the addressable market is huge, they're not going to hurt for potential customers.

You can't resell Steam games, you can't resell Play or App store purchases.

Where is the rage, SMOKE and Tottentranz ?

Cheers

If Steam's server/business would operate in the EU they would be forced to allow it. As XBone's SW is sold mostly in physical form they have to allow the resale of its product.

We should have clear if MS strategy clicks with us or not.It is quite clear where they are going, so no point in arguing.Take it or go with Sony,Nintendo or PC.I have indeed quite clear i am all in with Sony.

Broadband household penetration in the US is at about 80%, and the US is nowhere near the top of the list, they're at somewhere like 26th in the world. Countries higher than the US include the UK, most of the rest of Europe, and a fair amount of Asia.
The irony is that developing nations often tend to have a better communications / internet (in the developed areas) structure than developed nations do. US, Europe and other developed areas have to (or have) replaced all of the old analogue infrastructure that is/was around where developing nations will pick up and implement the latest technologies that are around hence the infrastructure is newer and more robust.

The irony is that developing nations often tend to have a better communications / internet (in the developed areas) structure than developed nations do. US, Europe and other developed areas have to (or have) replaced all of the old analogue infrastructure that is/was around where developing nations will pick up and implement the latest technologies that are around hence the infrastructure is newer and more robust.
In the developing world, the broadband connection is normally through the Cel networks, which were not counted in that statistic I quoted. The broadband cell penetration in South Africa, for instance, is at > 100%. I have friends who use cellular modems, or internet sharing on their phones, for their xbox live connections. It works pretty well for them.

Journalists should stop being so nice and friendly with them, either they're asking the questions that Microsoft gave them, or they're extremely incompetent. They should ask "do I need permission from your DRM server to install a single player disc?" and "How long can an internet downtime last, Harrison said 24 hours, is that correct?".

The PR is obviously misleading and empty, that's a big sign that they're not decided. As soon as they signed the publishing contracts it's all over. If they understand it's a mistake BEFORE E3, it's the best situation for everybody. Saying that it hasn't happened yet is missing the point of the NoDRM campaign completely. The goal is to make them understand the business impact, making the aware of the upcoming consumer backlash, BEFORE it become legally impossible for them to backtrack.
Now that bkilian and Marc Whitten have confirmed that Kinect won't spy you in the dark, those are two really good questions. I pity Molyneayux though, the journalist who interviewed him on the Curiosity's story was really straightforward with questions, to the point of being blunt sometimes.

I think, at this point of time, they should be less restrictive. It's also journalists' fault for letting Marc Whitten get away. He seems like a cool guy to me, and a bit more charismatic than Don Mattrick.

This isn't referencing anyone here but looking across the internet the past 9 or 10 days has made me thoroughly embarrassed to be a gamer. The amount of ppl taking pride in ignorance and their irrationality is disheartening. I'm hesitant to even call it a 'hivemind' reaction to the reveal because that would suggest ppl are at least trying to 'think'.

Ppl are literally just assuming every single item that comes from MS's mouth is *automatically* a direct lie. Simple statements telling ppl to 'stay tuned for more details' are taken as "damage control". Stating the obvious is reacted to with trolling, vitriol, conspiracy theories (!!!), and some of the most contrived and manufactured 'outrage' I've ever seen. And I frequently debate politics, religion, philosophy, etc. I just heard a podcast where someone called the opening montage of Xbox ppl at the reveal and I quoth "psychological warfare". My eyebrows haven't evacuated my hairline since. *sigh*

Who wants to take bets on how far we get into the Sony E3 conference before GAF starts speaking in tongues?

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
If Steam's server/business would operate in the EU they would be forced to allow it. As XBone's SW is sold mostly in physical form they have to allow the resale of its product.

The ruling of second hand sales in the EU also states that the second hand seller must render his/hers copy unusable.

It also states that the second hand seller is free to try to sell the software, but the publisher isn't mandated to support the transfer technically. Example: In the EU you're free to sell your copy of Angry Birds from your phone when you're done with it, but there are no technical means to support this, so you can't.

Likewise. MS are allowed to implement a system that issues a license to a Live account for a new purchase by electronic means, but they aren't forced to support a system which revoke said license. If it can't be revoked, the first buyer can't render his copy unusable and thus aren't allowed to resell it.

Cheers

It really is very curious astrograd. This has been ongoing at this level since the release of WP8... if you ever visit MS tribe on the Verge, or the various boards of Ars Technica, you will find the same thing except its coming from Apple and Google buyers.

Whats amazing is that they find more time to visit the MS related boards than teh other way around.

MS must be really very important because of how much energy people spend convincing others to hate them.

It really is very curious astrograd. This has been ongoing at this level since the release of WP8... if you ever visit MS tribe on the Verge, or the various boards of Ars Technica, you will find the same thing except its coming from Apple and Google buyers.

Whats amazing is that they find more time to visit the MS related boards than teh other way around.

MS must be really very important because of how much energy people spend convincing others to hate them.

You forgot Linux users!.

It's all confusing now, so confusing. Tomorrow, if everything go as planned, I'm going to shower, eat, do laundry, connect to B3D, have dinner, play Xbox, then bedtime, then sleep. That's my mission. And not worry about all of this.

NZ70l1G.png
(thx Barbaroman for the link)

blackjedi, I can tell you that I try to not mind the hate and stuff, it's only hard to accept for me the the psychosis those things are creating, but I will never ever understand the hatred towards Windows 8! :/ It's the fastest SO I've tried on a PC, and the most secure SO MS have ever made.

Besides that MS have been offering it for 30€ for a few months -now the offer has expired-, the Windows 8 Pro version, with all the language packs and other features that were only usually included in the Ultimate versions of prior Windows SOs.

that's what I don't understand... if you don't like something walk away and don't buy it.. it's not air or water or shelter they are selling it's entertainment for heck's sake and their are plenty of options... telling everyone how much you hate what someone is doing when you CLEARLY have no intention of buying it is a waste of breath, and sounds more like boredom a hobby of trying to irritate people that disagree with you more than anything productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back