Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please stop with the bold. Uses an occasional bold to highlight something of importance within a quote, or for a rare stress where italics isn't enough. Use quote tags to quote someone, and put their name in the quote to differentiate from whoever you're replying to.

eg.
Accident,

Just like xbox live in 2001 did not work without a broadband connection, this console, in 2013, will not work without a broadband connection". I'm paraphrasing slightly, executives tend to give 10 minute answers that are mostly empty, but I've captured the gist. And from the reveal and subsequent comments, they have not stepped back from that at all. They still insist broadband is required, although the console will tolerate dropouts in some cases.

Can you tell us on what management level that was decided or is that unknown?

Here is more info to muddy the waters.

Marc Whitten, chief product officer for Microsoft's interactive entertainment business
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/05/30/microsoft-xbox-one-whitten/2370381/

Q: So Kinect is always on?

A: When you are in the low power state, it is listening for exactly one thing, 'Xbox On,' which will wake up the system and tell it to get going.

Q: There's been a lot of talk about the new Xbox having to be always on the Internet. Can you expand on that?

A: Xbox One needs to connect to the Internet. There are many of the services that are just powered by the Internet, streaming movies, playing multiplayer (games), things like that. If we can't get to the Internet, you can play your single-player games assuming they don't take advantage of something on the Internet that it needs. You can watch Blu-ray movies, you can watch TV. But when you think about the value proposition that we are creating, this is an Internet native device. And so much of that experience is really predicated on getting that content there.

Why is it so damn hard for some people to even conceive the idea that not every country or culture works the same way as north america?

I live in Eastern Europe, I've had like 2 days when there were internet problems in 4 years; and I don't even have a bandwidth cap on my subscription which I guess is actually an advantage compared to most US gamers.

There are people in the world who want to play games, have the money to play games and just don't have an always-on internet connection.

Chances are, they can't afford to buy an Xbox One and games. So they're not the market MS targets here. They can always buy a cheap X360 and crack it...

No problem. Thank you for such a wonderful tirade. Here in Beyond3D we try to be a little more mature than other boards. We don't always agree on things, but we try to be as civil as possible. Hopefully once E3 is here things will settle down a bit. Then we can all look back at all the ranting that went on before & wonder what we were thinking. ;)

Tommy McClain

Really?

Being vague with a snarky tone is civil now?

Im not gonna fall for the bait you're laying out, my task here was simple and this is the most I have ever posted since being here due to smart alek remarks from such a mature board. No need to re-iterate board standards, I dont get off on taunting people into saying things that will get them banned due to differences in vocabulary.

Kinda of hard to feel the maturity when people are basically saying "screw you" for not living in near perfect situations when it comes to gaming standards. I dont think like that and have always acted with maturity while here until today in the "full of myself thread'!

I live in Eastern Europe, I've had like 2 days when there were internet problems in 4 years; and I don't even have a bandwidth cap on my subscription which I guess is actually an advantage compared to most US gamers.

Chances are, they can't afford to buy an Xbox One and games. So they're not the market MS targets here. They can always buy a cheap X360 and crack it...

I live in the US, I have had sporadic incidents where the internet goes out for a day or 2, most of the time its the Cable provider doing maintenance (a situation I cant help). But i dont go crapping on other people due to me not having so many internet issues. People wanna speak on "maturity of this forum" but in the same instance dont give a damn about the alienation of other gamers here who are in a gaming forum!

The whole problem is quite simple to solve. The first buyer of a disc has to control the whole license lock/free situation. If a game is locked you can't install it elsewhere again with the disc until it's unlocked. If you want to share it with your friend. Unlock it from your account, let him install the disc on his system, when he's done he frees the license so you can enable it again for your account with your disc.

Problem solved. No 24h check necessary to sync license states and people can still sell their discs. Has the nice side effect that it would create a lot trouble for GS to check the license state before buying which makes the used game sales business more expensive. It also adds a moral hazard for used disc sales on ebay because the buyer must trust the seller to have freed the license. Wouldn't this be the ideal situation?

So why isn't that used?

My solution:
- All games must be installed to play
- if want to install a game, you need an internet conection (for validate the game)
- If you want to share it with somebody, you can request a deactivation (5 days = free, more days = a fee), after deactivation, you cannot play the game in your console.
- Only 1 free deactivation a month.
- If the game is installed and activated, and no internet is detected, then you can put the disc to play.
- You can request an "un-DRM" code, for a small fee, after this, you can sale your game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newsflash:

Not.
Everyone.
Is.
American.

Newsflash:

Microsoft.
Is.
Not.
Targeting.
Everyone.
In.
The.
World.

Sorry, but Microsoft may not be trying to make sure that everybody will be able to use their product. They are going after specific kinds of customers. You may not be one of them. You may want to buy another product instead.

Tommy McClain

In the exact same post that you quoted and here are the reasons why you're wrong.

I can buy a xbone and I can buy games. Many of my friends do too.
Not one of us is willing to become a servant of always-on internet to play single-player or same-screen multiplayer games to appease the publishers and Microsoft.

There are times where I don't need to have internet except for a quick e-mail glance through the smartphone. There are times where my friends simply don't have internet connection when they're sent abroad by their companies.

The only situation where I would always have internet without worrying about it would be if I had a sedentary life that consists of commuting between home and work in the same city that belongs to a developed country.
That is not the case with millions of young professionals. Jobs for life that consist sitting in a desk right next door to your house are gone for the young professional.

Newsflash:

Microsoft.
Is.
Not.
Targeting.
Everyone.
In.
The.
World.

Sorry, but Microsoft may not be trying to make sure that everybody will be able to use their product. They are going after specific kinds of customers. You may not be one of them. You may want to buy another product instead.

Tommy McClain

So now Microsoft are only targeting americans?
An american console that's great for watching american sports for american people.
It all makes sense now. Good riddance then. :)

Newsflash:

Microsoft.
Is.
Not.
Targeting.
Everyone.
In.
The.
World.

Tommy McClain

I agree, but then, Microsoft needs to convince us that their product is "better" than others, including hardware and software prices and better services.

Yes, people need to realize that the Xbox One is what a bridge was in the middle ages, where the owner could collect money from anyone trying to cross. Game license fees will only be a secondary income in the end, I'd guess. They want to be the provider of as much of the content the owner consumes as possible and get their cut from everything instead.

Others already pointed out that Sony and Nintendo are no longer the main competitors, it's about Apple (think iTunes and the App Store) and Google (Android market, youtube etc).
And today, Microsoft's strongest side against them is surprisingly the console market - they're much weaker on mobile devices, desktop OS is fading away slowly, and Zune isn't a success either. So they will leverage their greatest strength, and at this time it's the Xbox brand, the best selling console in the US in the past few years (Wii is obviously not going to make a comeback and the 360 is less than a million units behind it anyway).

People without a stable internet connection will probably not download movies and music, won't shop online as much, and so on - so the revenue from them will not be as good, maybe not even enough to offset the losses on the hardware itself. So they don't worry about not selling to them, especially not in the early days when they're supply limited anyway.

So they don't give a damn if you won't buy their console because you're a 'core' gamer who doesn't want to be always online (which is already a contradiction IMHO). They want the Joe Average who will buy a couple of games - and subscribe to Live and buy a lot of music and watch a lot of movies and uses whatever other revenue stream they can think of. That kind of customer is much more profitable to Microsoft now.

Really?

Im not gonna fall for the bait you're laying out, my task here was simple and this is the most I have ever posted since being here due to smart alek remarks from such a mature board. No need to re-iterate board standards, I dont get off on taunting people into saying things that will get them banned due to differences in vocabulary.

Kinda of hard to feel the maturity when people are basically saying "screw you" for not living in near perfect situations when it comes to gaming standards. I dont think like that and have always acted with maturity while here until today in the "full of myself thread'!

Just another service I offer.

You're task was simple: to post multiple pages of a tirade complaining about a product that _MAY_OR_MAY_NOT be targeted at you because we still won't know for another 12 days when E3 starts where Microsoft has repeatedly said they address all the issues. Sounds like impatience to me & not my problem.

Tommy McClain

An american console that's great for watching american sports for american people.

Maybe. Sounds like I'm in luck. You? Not so much. ;)

Tommy McClain

To the bolded...

This was the "reactionary" response in light of what Phil said earlier that evening that prompted an immediate spin. So why should we hang our hats on a PR spin to calm down the presses?

Thats all I'm asking.

nonsense

again misunderstanding

can we please save the "outrage" until we have some FACTS of how it will work... my guess is people are getting supremely upset over things that have not happened yet.

Of course that's not to say when MS does announce the plan and it's better than speculated the goal posts won't get moved to stress how unfair that is and it " should just be like before like it always was, back in the olden days".

or something

The only situation where I would always have internet without worrying about it would be if I had a sedentary life that consists of commuting between home and work in the same city that belongs to a developed country.

You seem to be online and posting all the time, you know.

As for me, I have 24/7 internet at home and at the office (although Facebook is disabled except for lunch break and after hours), I also have wifi both at home and here, and I also have 3G coverage in like 95% of my country, although I don't leave my home city that often. There's also a lot of free wifi all around, for example all Tesco hypermarkets have it even here in Eastern Europe. Even my far less educated friends are online most of the time, as far I can see on FB.

I imagine most of the civilized world that has enough income to buy an Xbox One and a Live subscription and a lot of content is pretty much like the above. Especially because Hungary isn't the most advanced country in this.

Sure, some people live on farms, others live in the second and third world, but they're not a viable market anyway (except maybe the farm people).

So I still don't see how you can come to the conclusion that "always" online is such an impossible requirement. I believe it's more about you personally being upset for some reason, and trying to come up with some explanation to justify it.

Come on. You are just being silly now.

If you watched the reveal there is a point where they both show and say that there is more information to come relative to the rest of the world ie, other events targeting those regions. I dont know why you feel so offended by the reveal.

You and some others are taking that one hour as a personal affront. it used to be that consoles launched a whole year or more in Japan first and when they eventually came to the US and Europe they still had very few titles.

I thought you would have been reasonable enough to say "Hey I will wait until they reveal how they will handle those features in MY region" as opposed to some Anti-American tirade.

Really?

Do you feel obliged to support less than capable products because they don't have the resources of a MS, Google, Sony or Apple to provide the proper level of R&D, marketing and consumer support?

Price is a far bigger barrier to console ownership than the feasibility of owning an online based console with spotty internet access. Yet you see no one advocating Sony and MS going ARM and Imageon to provide hardware more affordable for all.

MS has just as much right to cater to the users it wants to target as you do when targeting which product or services you want to purchase.

This is not a question of empathy or morality, its a question of business.

Marc Whitten, chief product officer for Microsoft's interactive entertainment business
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/05/30/microsoft-xbox-one-whitten/2370381/
Journalists should stop being so nice and friendly with them, either they're asking the questions that Microsoft gave them, or they're extremely incompetent. They should ask "do I need permission from your DRM server to install a single player disc?" and "How long can an internet downtime last, Harrison said 24 hours, is that correct?".

The PR is obviously misleading and empty, that's a big sign that they're not decided. As soon as they signed the publishing contracts it's all over. If they understand it's a mistake BEFORE E3, it's the best situation for everybody. Saying that it hasn't happened yet is missing the point of the NoDRM campaign completely. The goal is to make them understand the business impact, making the aware of the upcoming consumer backlash, BEFORE it become legally impossible for them to backtrack.

Yes, people need to realize that the Xbox One is what a bridge was in the middle ages, where the owner could collect money from anyone trying to cross. Game license fees will only be a secondary income in the end, I'd guess. They want to be the provider of as much of the content the owner consumes as possible and get their cut from everything instead.

Others already pointed out that Sony and Nintendo are no longer the main competitors, it's about Apple (think iTunes and the App Store) and Google (Android market, youtube etc).
And today, Microsoft's strongest side against them is surprisingly the console market - they're much weaker on mobile devices, desktop OS is fading away slowly, and Zune isn't a success either. So they will leverage their greatest strength, and at this time it's the Xbox brand, the best selling console in the US in the past few years (Wii is obviously not going to make a comeback and the 360 is less than a million units behind it anyway).

People without a stable internet connection will probably not download movies and music, won't shop online as much, and so on - so the revenue from them will not be as good, maybe not even enough to offset the losses on the hardware itself. So they don't worry about not selling to them, especially not in the early days when they're supply limited anyway.

So they don't give a damn if you won't buy their console because you're a 'core' gamer who doesn't want to be always online (which is already a contradiction IMHO). They want the Joe Average who will buy a couple of games - and subscribe to Live and buy a lot of music and watch a lot of movies and uses whatever other revenue stream they can think of. That kind of customer is much more profitable to Microsoft now.
I buy everything I get my hands on, I can tell you. Not only games, but music videos, music on Xbox Music -I love this service- and so on and so forth.

I think it could be advantageous for them to let people use the console either online and offline, there is always potential for those who use the console offline most of the time to start using the online features.

What I am asking for is having the ability to play the console when I am moving or don't have a connection at home for whatever reason.

[URL]http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2013/05/30/microsoft-xbox-one-whitten/2370381/[/URL]
Thanks for sharing dobwal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back