Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like it if they went for something around half XSX height but same width. Probably too much of a squeeze even with reduced everything.

Behold my amazing photo editing skills!

stumpy.jpg

Proportion is not right! If it´s 4 Tflops it shoud have 1/3 of the series X box height :D:cool:

After moving from esram + ddr3 to wide gddr5, I think that they can do a lot of things.

Yes, What I meant was, What is the cheaper option to cost reduce the Series X in 3 years time?

If the cost is now about 500$ , give it or take. Can it be about 300$ in 2023/24?

That´s why i see a place for Lockhart.

A smaller node and 256bit@18Gbps and smaller power unit and smaller heatsink and single pcb.
The nand chips will help a lot in decreasing the bom.

I'd really like it if they went for something around half XSX height but same width. Probably too much of a squeeze even with reduced everything.

Behold my amazing photo editing skills!

stumpy.jpg

It's kind of interesting looking at the modularity of the Series X with the dual motherboard/PCBs. The pieces that would be different include the cooler, the APU board, and the PSU.

hmm...
  • Cut off the large fan section,
  • Reduce the heatsink height (change it to a standard piece or whatever, but for illustrative purposes, it's simply smaller).
  • Swap out the APU board for Lockhart. Reuse the 2nd PCB for manufacturing reasons.
  • Swap out PSU for lower rated one - similar size so it just fits in the same relative spot next to the disc drive.
  • Shove a radial fan in the bottom corner (blue box) - not sure where the power connectors are, but I assume they're actually on the 2nd PCB... *shrug*
  • Then just create the smaller chassis.
  • Probably not happening. -_- :-|
thing.jpg

Last edited:
About XSX and the possible XSS, how the thing it´s going to cost reduce in the future.

360 mm^2 with a 320 bit memory interface
What can they do? Use faster memory in the future with a narrower interface??
Well the case will be smaller, and they could skimp in cooling.

But, Do you see this thing retailing at 250$ like the X today in some places?
I mean i have seen the One SAD at 99, the One at 199 and the X at 250.

I think the days of cost reducing the old tech is a thing of the past. It will most likely be smarter to take RDNA 3 or RDNA 4 in 3 years and build 2 brand new consoles. One targeting the lower price and one targeting the higher prfice

I think the days of cost reducing the old tech is a thing of the past. It will most likely be smarter to take RDNA 3 or RDNA 4 in 3 years and build 2 brand new consoles. One targeting the lower price and one targeting the higher prfice
With next gen having ssd and decent CPU, I can see a rolling gen that wasn't possible this time around.

With next gen having ssd and decent CPU, I can see a rolling gen that wasn't possible this time around.

Yea I mean we have to look at it from the point of view that 2023 will bring a new node with new designs for both cpu and gpu.

We know DDR5 and a new socket for Zen hits in 2021 , So by 2023 we will either see the final version of that zen or even a newer socket version of zen. AMD will surely be moving on to the next thing after RDNA.

They could take the Series X and shrink it , or they can just take that 2023 cpu and gpu and ram and make a much better console.

Microsoft pushing into subscriptions and all cloud services could be better served that way anyway. If they implement a bundle at launch where you get a series x when you purchase x amount of years of game pass ultimate up front or a heavy discount on the x for doing that. By the time people are done paying that off oh look its time to do it again with the next high end console and rinse and repeat.

Yea I mean we have to look at it from the point of view that 2023 will bring a new node with new designs for both cpu and gpu
It would be interesting, but I think your basically talking about a new gen, and as we've seen that takes a while and a lot of investment, not just taking amd's new stuff and that's that.

I could see a shrink for Xbox series, and then a new high end with more cu's etc and it wouldn't cost them much in time and effort.
Actually basically same route taken for the 1X and xsx, design started close together.

Then 6 or so years a new gen level console, but released as part of a rolling gen.
A decent rolling gen, not like how I see this one which is kinda half and half.

Maybe... Modular and portable. A small, thin, flat-ish form factor console with optional add-ons like a screen and battery and so on to make it portable.

Xbox gets a portable device and a low cost device at the same time.

Last edited:
They just need a Surface Go 2 Game Edition.

Tommy McClain
what's the odds of a ryzen 4000 series being able to run xbox one games at 1080p in a handheld form factor. jut partner with dell to release that concept they have

what's the odds of a ryzen 4000 series being able to run xbox one games at 1080p in a handheld form factor. jut partner with dell to release that concept they have

No idea. You talking about this?

Not sure I like a total Switch knock-off. I like the idea of a tablet paired with a standard Xbox One controller though.

Tommy McClain

If that's the way MS are headed, they could just have an XBox certified third-party program. Their control system is already focussed on adaptability for streaming to touch screens, so I reckon they could support different control types quite comfortably leaving IHVs to experiment somewhat. That's actually a route a lot of us have been kinda expecting, but it is counter to XBox being separate from PC in terms of development. Why bother with a Ryzen running XBox games when it can run Windows games and all XB games come to Windows?

Xbox hardware needs to be able to give a certain level of quality, service, ease of use etc.
Xbox games just bring able to run on any old hardware just wouldn't give that.
Best to let it run pc versions of the game with cross play etc.

Where ms could get involved is xcloud branded devices though. Could see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back