Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had this discussion before & now you're both trolling. Microsoft stopped having exclusives for their consoles a couple of years ago. They have a platform that covers both console & PC & as such games will ship & play on both. However, there are games that will only ship on one console & those are console exclusive whether you agree or not. The days of games shipping only on 1 device are numbered. Games should play on whatever devices you have. And for Microsoft, that means Xbox consoles, PCs & mobile devices using xCloud.

Mods, spin this off if needed.

Tommy McClain

Completely different. A console has games written for it. A simpler version of a console means games won't target the better version 100%. So in your example, people would mind a cheaper model Mercedes if it meant the race-tracks were designed for that cheaper Merc and didn't push the expensive Merc to its limits. owners of the expensive Merc would be disappointed that all the race tracks were a little limited and they couldn't see what their car could really do.

Now there's a big debate as to just how much the flagship model will be held back, if to any noticeable degree, but the product comparisons you make are invalid because the console market is (currently) unique in how it works. You buy one console from one side (most people won't have multiple machines) and it'll last 7+ years and you want the best from it and devs to make the most of it. I can't off the top of my head think of any comparables, because of the closed ecosystems, the way software can be optimised for specific systems, and the long product lifespans. All other products are interchangeable and replaceable with alternatives.

If consoles move over to frequent iterations like a phone or PC/Mac, then it will become a product family where people won't mind there being tiers of product. Until that happens, the Lockhart 'hate', even if it doesn't amount to much, is at least understandable.
Throughout the current generation we have seen how developers released their games, having differences between ps4 and xbox one versions according to each machine's strengths.
In fact, the last coupe of years we have seen them deploying simultaneously not two but FOUR versions of their product, including the ps4 pro and xbox x versions, and typically the performance would be xbox one < ps4 < ps4 pro < xbox x
I think developers are smart enough to figure things out and not so easy to get "hold back".
Also, if I am not mistaken, microsoft have already released their new xbox development tools pack, a comprehensive line of tools that facilitates the work of producing one game, lets say for xbox series x and trickling it down for the lower spec machines, even down to mobile.
Finally, I am not so sure about lockhart being a "1080p machine", as we have seen a myriad of different techniques for image reconstruction, producing higher resolution images than h/w permits. as an example, most ps4 pro "4k" games.
So I guess series s will not be native 4k, but it won't be 1080p either.

It will be very interesting to see how microsoft has developed lockhart, and personally, having seen how xbox h/w dept has done with xbox x and now series x, I haven't got the slightest concern that suddenly they became so stupid as to produce two machines for next gen that sabotage each other.

I'm my opinion, the lower the power of Lockhart the better. Anything to make my dream of a new PlayStation/Xbox gaming portable a reality. A 4tflop GPU with a 8 core 3.2 GHz CPU at 3nm, maybe throw in 12gb of HBM instead of gddr5, stick that in a portable device similar to the Alienware UFO concept and Microsoft would have a real value proposition in the middle of the generation. SSD might be a problem since it seems to consume a lot of power but I'm
sure that can be worked on.

"Play all your Series X, Xbox One and a large 360 library natively on the go" is such an easy sell. But this is me dreaming. I doubt they would go that route since they seem intent on pushing this cloud gaming BS which removes more ownership and control over your purchases than ever before.

I am not so sure about lockhart being a "1080p machine", as we have seen a myriad of different techniques for image reconstruction, producing higher resolution images than h/w permits. as an example, most ps4 pro "4k" games.
So I guess series s will not be native 4k, but it won't be 1080p either

The XSX and PS5 are likely be using reconstruction techniques in demanding games/UE5 . Lockhart is probably going to have to leverage the same techniques to hit 1080p-ish

The XSX and PS5 are likely be using reconstruction techniques in demanding games/UE5 . Lockhart is probably going to have to leverage the same techniques to hit 1080p-ish
Given that today there are lots of xbox one X games that hit a native 4k image output, and many more that are dynamic 4k (not reconstructed), more due to the weak cpu than the gpu, I somehow doubt that lockhart will be using reconstruction tech to reach 1080p

I'm my opinion, the lower the power of Lockhart the better. Anything to make my dream of a new PlayStation/Xbox gaming portable a reality. A 4tflop GPU with a 8 core 3.2 GHz CPU at 3nm, maybe throw in 12gb of HBM instead of gddr5, stick that in a portable device similar to the Alienware UFO concept and Microsoft would have a real value proposition in the middle of the generation. SSD might be a problem since it seems to consume a lot of power but I'm
sure that can be worked on.

"Play all your Series X, Xbox One and a large 360 library natively on the go" is such an easy sell. But this is me dreaming. I doubt they would go that route since they seem intent on pushing this cloud gaming BS which removes more ownership and control over your purchases than ever before.

Microsoft answer for "portability" is Xcloud.

Given that today there are lots of xbox one X games that hit a native 4k image output, and many more that are dynamic 4k (not reconstructed), more due to the weak cpu than the gpu, I somehow doubt that lockhart will be using reconstruction tech to reach 1080p
The answer is: it depends.
In a normal renderer that isn’t entirely software rasterization like UE5, then there are a lot of options. This is why X1X is able to handle 4K native fine. The reliance on the fixed function pipeline enables them to do so. It’s still that powerful.

if you got software Rasteriser; that’s pure compute power, that’s going to be better than X1X. But it’s going to struggle. Every GPU will struggle. And TF will count for a lot more
Here.

The answer is: it depends.
In a normal renderer that isn’t entirely software rasterization like UE5, then there are a lot of options. This is why X1X is able to handle 4K native fine. The reliance on the fixed function pipeline enables them to do so. It’s still that powerful.

if you got software Rasteriser; that’s pure compute power, that’s going to be better than X1X. But it’s going to struggle. Every GPU will struggle. And TF will count for a lot more
Here.
Yes, thus within first/second party games, which is exactly the context of "cheap mercedes/expensive mercedes, limited racetracks" paradigm, I believe that the choices that will be made will not limit the "expensive mercedes" at all.

https://www.thurrott.com/podcasts/236622/the-sams-report-apples-troubles-lockharts-pricing#

8 minutes in. Apparently a German retailer is saying 200/400. This person doesn't believe it can happen based on pricing on xbox one digital edition.

He also talks about July , he doesn't think we will get 2 consoles announced (either do I ) and he doesn't think there will be a lot there.

Good listen

Apparently someone sent him a rumor that there will be 2 wireless headsets lol.

Also he talks about losing money on consoles around 16 minutes in and how they determine the maximum x factor they can take and what the competitor will price at informs the choice of pricing.

Microsoft answer for "portability" is Xcloud.

MS doesn't just have one answer for anything.

On the go - Xcloud \ portable pc
At home - xcloud / pc / xbox

With my surface pro I can play Minecraft dungeons locally and if I want to play the new gears I can stream it via xcloud. I can then when I'm home continue playing either on my xbox or my desktop.

1 ecosystem all Microsoft

This bit is interesting regarding streaming...

EbWzi0tXQAIeBtM

What's Dante & Edinburgh?

At least I saw no more LockharD. LOL

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back