Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this somewhere else, but I think this is worth sharing...

A guy installs the first version of MS-DOS, and he upgrades it to all versions of Windows until it reaches 10, and he checks if the programs and documents continue to run at every leap.

The PC, a world of almost infinite backwards compatibility.:oops::oops:
A lot of devices and drivers do not work on next OS version though.

So the 'Creators' Update' (do I want this if I'm not a Creator? :rolleyes:) is coming officially from 11 April.

On Windows Update screen its got a link 'Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?' which goes to a page with this kinda odd text
Thank you for your interest in being one of the first to experience the Windows 10 Creators Update!
We’re finalizing the update and will be ready to share it with you soon. When the update is ready for your device, you’ll receive a notification asking you to review your privacy settings before downloading the update.
Now why would they be tying early access to privacy settings? :mad::runaway:

So the 'Creators' Update' (do I want this if I'm not a Creator? :rolleyes:) is coming officially from 11 April.

On Windows Update screen its got a link 'Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?' which goes to a page with this kinda odd text

Now why would they be tying early access to privacy settings? :mad::runaway:
What early access? The creators update is finalized. Whether you get it through the Windows Update roll-out starting April 11th or manually via the upgrader tool (Starting later today) is exactly the same; you will be prompted to review your privacy settings before installing it.
Privacy-2-1024x812-800x634.jpg

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ing-customers-choice-control-creators-update/

What early access? The creators update is finalized. Whether you get it through the Windows Update roll-out starting April 11th or manually via the upgrader tool (Starting later today) is exactly the same; you will be prompted to review your privacy settings before installing it.
Privacy-2-1024x812-800x634.jpg

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ing-customers-choice-control-creators-update/
Just posted a few minutes ago:

Windows 10 privacy journey continues: more transparency and controls for you

Adverts can be embedded in free software as a means to monetise. You can't grumble against that. 'Relevant Ads' ensures these are better suited to your tastes rather than completely random. Not saying it's a good or bad thing, but it's understandable and common practice with the other OSes. If you don't want adverts, use the 'purchase/subscribe' option. ;)

7H8JjR1.jpg

What!!!
Why is there no option "dont let apps send you adverts"
? Developers are free to implement ads in their apps since...forever? How can Microsoft prevent this? This toggle just enables app usage to be used to serve ads in apps that have ads in them (could be MSN apps, third party apps etc..) ..that's why free versions of apps usually have ads while paid versions don't...

Edit: Basically what Shifty just said

A given app will still try to target you for ads e.g. if you use an online recipes app and often look for ice cream and such, I bet they'll try to sell you little machines for making ice cream, whipping cream, and organic vanilla extract etc. rather than ads for steak sauce and mustard.

But with the setting off, there's less data points to know you're the same person looking up oil market price, movies about undead people and retirement plans.
If we compare with a web browser (ANY of them, unless you're doing a lot of filtering) I wonder if the "apps" possibly are a little bit more private.. but that's not saying much and I obviously don't want to condone anything.

This is a problem I have with video games even. So many of them are effectively "on-line services", kind of, as long with the distribution platforms. Long ago, you could play multiplayer and only exchange data between yourself and an independent game server, or between peers (the game hardly cared if you were using the internet, TCP lan, IPX lan or serial cable even). Nowadays it looks like even your single player usage is logged.

So anyway you'd need to buy off-line games if that still exists (or perhaps buy GoG games, firewall them), buy newspapers and magazines (have to make a little bit of money in your work or day to day life to buy them, e.g. you might need well over $100 in a month to buy paper media), buy DVD or use air TV broadcasts, then filter your web and even pay for email (w/ or w/o a domain name you have to pay for as well) as some geeks and professionals do.

This is a problem I have with video games even...Nowadays it looks like even your single player usage is logged.
Developers like metrics, seeing what people are and aren't doing, and using that to tailor their game and improve retention, investment, etc.

I do not see Winapi functions for that.
Only WinRT.

The setting obviously won't affect non-UWP ad supported applications (there's plenty of them out there). Those applications will continue to hook into 3rd party ad services (like Google, for example) in order to serve tailored ads in their Windows apps.

You can't turn off user tracking in those applications that use 3rd party tracking services (like Google ad services, for example), but you can turn them off in Windows for UWP applications. In both cases you can't disable ads without purchasing the application if the application developer put those ads there in the first place.

Unlike iOS and Android, Windows is for the most part an open platform. Hence, unlike iOS and Android, all ads don't go through the OS maker (Apple and Google in those cases). Do Apple and Google give the user an option to opt out of user tracking? I honestly have no idea as I don't use iOS or Android.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back