Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah bummer... I wonder how much Dolby bribe MS for this partnership promo
It's probably the other way around..MS's pays Dolby for the license. The UWP app's only purpose is to enable the free trial Atmos for Headphones and make you pay for it after a month. Atmos for speakers & headphones is supported at th OS level on Xbox & Windows10 the app just triggers the 1 month trial.
Just use Windows Sonic for Headphones afterwards. It's practicaly as good as Atmos (a bit too much reverb IMO and not enough base compared to Atmos but it's still in Beta..so MS will probably perfect it down the line)

Cause it's built into the Windows 10 Creators Update?

where ? i type windows sonic in the search box and all I get is "search the web for windows sonic"

Do I have that? how do I know?
You have to Update Windows 10 to the Creators Update which was "released" on April 11th. Then simply right click on the volume icon on the taskbar & enable Spatial sound.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt807491(v=vs.85).aspx
Windows Sonic is Microsoft’s audio platform for more immersive audio. It includes integrated spatial sound on Xbox and Windows, with support for both surround and elevation (above or below the listener) audio cues. Spatial sound can be leveraged by Windows desktop (Win32) apps as well as Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps on both Windows and Xbox One. The spatial sound APIs allows developers to create audio objects that emit audio from positions in 3D space. Dynamic audio objects allow you to emit audio from an arbitrary position in space, which can change over time. You can also specify that audio objects emit sound from one of 17 pre-defined static channels (8.1.4.4) that can represent real or virtualized speakers. The actual output format is selected by the user, and can be abstracted from Windows Sonic implementations; audio will be presented to speakers, headphones, and home theater receivers without needing any code or content changes. For V1., the platform fully supports real-time Dolby Atmos encoding for both HDMI and stereo headphone output, as well as Windows Sonic for Headphones encoding for stereo headphones. Finally, Windows Sonic apps abide by system mixing policy, and their audio can also be mixed with non-spatially aware apps. Windows Sonic support is also integrated into Media Foundation; apps that use media foundation can successfully play Dolby Atmos content with no additional implementation.

Spatial sound with Windows Sonic supports TVs, home theaters, and sound bars that support Dolby Atmos. Spatial sound can also be used with any pair of headphones via Windows Sonic for Headphones or Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Last edited:
Yeah they don't initiate a huge windows update to 100's of millions of computers simultaneously.

@Davros when you get it, just right click the volume icon on your taskbar and you'll see an option for spatial audio in the context menu.

I thought Atmos sounded awful from the demo trailers they've released - very muddy, however downloading and enabling it for a few movies within windows it's pretty good. In my search I discovered that Overwatch has it built in but you have to enable it within the game. Very good implementation there. I'd seen the option before but assumed I'd need Atmos hardware for it.

where ? i type windows sonic in the search box and all I get is "search the web for windows sonic"

Do I have that? how do I know?
After you've installed Creators Update, you can access it for your default audio output by right clicking on the "volume icon" and for every output device by going to "Playback Devices"

upload_2017-4-15_0-21-53.png

--

What I'm curious about is how it acts with Sound Blaster Zx I have, does it work with any sound card regardless of settings you're using?

@Davros when you get it, just right click the volume icon on your taskbar and you'll see an option for spatial audio in the context menu.

I thought Atmos sounded awful from the demo trailers they've released - very muddy, however downloading and enabling it for a few movies within windows it's pretty good. In my search I discovered that Overwatch has it built in but you have to enable it within the game. Very good implementation there. I'd seen the option before but assumed I'd need Atmos hardware for it.
Unfortunately (ironically) the built in Movies & TV app can't playback lossless Atmos content..

What I'm curious about is how it acts with Sound Blaster Zx I have, does it work with any sound card regardless of settings you're using?
It should work with any card as its a software solution
but it could interfere with cmss-3d or eax
1AdEpvU.jpg

It could also interfere with games using rapture 3d like dirt
WC9zWUC.jpg

IiZh2EP.jpg

CsLklgu.jpg

1FH098l.jpg

Very good implementation there.
Are you referring to atoms headphone here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back