Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows is for the most part an open platform.
So the closed source platform is more open than the open source platform? :)
I'm not sure you can get a non tracking smartphone (though perhaps snowden et al know, I would think not as it needs to communicate with a tower/s which can triangulate your position)
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-worlds-most-secure-smartphones-and-why-theyre-all-androids/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-worlds-most-secure-smartphones-and-why-theyre-all-androids/
WRT ads, when you're developing something Im pretty sure with android you can choose any of various ad networks, you certainly dont need to use google admob, sure lots of ppl do since its the 800lb gorilla but its not the only choice, at least thats how it used to be, I assume its still the same

So the closed source platform is more open than the open source platform? :)

Open in terms of what you are allowed to install and run on it as well as the hardware you can use to interface with it either internally or externally. You can certainly do that to some extent with Android by jailbreaking a device, but the vast majority of devices with Android are pretty locked down. There's pros and cons to both a walled garden (iOS, Android, UWP) and a more open platform (Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.).

Regards,
SB

So I did a thing: I've updated via the Windows Upgrade app :eek:

No issues so far other than first time I went to Start menu it was blank, populated OK next time though.

Anyone know how this 'mini view' pic in pic thing is supposed to work? Can't seem to find anything about it either in OS or via Google other than mention of it as a feature for this update.

You can certainly do that to some extent with Android by jailbreaking a device
Dude perhaps you shouldnt comment about android since you're spreading so much misinformation in this thread.
FWIW - you can install software without using googles play store, just go to settings -> and slide a slider like windows 10 does above that allows you to install software from outside google's play store, no need to jailbreak your device

Dude perhaps you shouldnt comment about android since you're spreading so much misinformation in this thread.
FWIW - you can install software without using googles play store, just go to settings -> and slide a slider like windows 10 does above that allows you to install software from outside google's play store, no need to jailbreak your device

Thanks for the clarification WRT the use of software. As mentioned since I don't use it I hadn't looked into it much assuming that it was similar to iOS. But looking at things now, it appears that it suffers from rampant piracy (facilitated by a more open OS) far more than even Windows. So much so that many developers have moved to a predominantly advertising system on Android versus an advertising and paid system on iOS. IE - 0.99 USD app on iOS is instead supported by advertising on Android. To be clear, not all apps are doing this, but appears that many developers have switched to this method of deployment for their apps due to piracy.

Very interesting.

Regards,
SB

So I did a thing: I've updated via the Windows Upgrade app :eek:

No issues so far other than first time I went to Start menu it was blank, populated OK next time though.

Anyone know how this 'mini view' pic in pic thing is supposed to work? Can't seem to find anything about it either in OS or via Google other than mention of it as a feature for this update.

other people on Ars got lots of problem with it (mainly with blank stuff)

OK there is one issue I'm having: Pinning folders to Quickaccess in Explorer is broken
Started with one of the Cumulative Updates a few weeks back so not tied to Creator Update but also not fixed by it :(

Edit: Google is my friend, found some 2015 fixes namely this in Command Prompt
Code:
del /F /Q %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
All working again :)

Last edited:
OK there is one issue I'm having: Pinning folders to Quickaccess in Explorer is broken
Seems to be resolved at some point on Fast Track. I had that issue but it's working again for me now.

Anyone know how this 'mini view' pic in pic thing is supposed to work?
Ugh, boring.
It's just an option in the Movies & TV app, puts it in a small size minimal GUI mode with Always On Top enabled *meh*
I was hoping/expecting it'd be a part of the Win + Arrow window snapping so that you could have any window picture-in-picture, might as well just manually size a Media Center Classic window.

Sounds like a font issue.

My own command prompt was unchanged by the update.

Nah, it's probably my cat somehow managed to infiltrate into windows update.

Anyway, my laptop doesn't have thst issue. It only occurred in my tablet

Maybe related to dpi scaling?

slightly related
I have an old laptop running xp I noticed automatic updates was turned off so I enabled it
it installed some security updates, a new version of i.e and some dot net updates
result : windows now thinks I have no audio hardware
good job microsoft

slightly related
I have an old laptop running xp I noticed automatic updates was turned off so I enabled it
it installed some security updates, a new version of i.e and some dot net updates
result : windows now thinks I have no audio hardware
good job microsoft

Lol and here I'm pretty happy windows 10 suddenly gave me DOLBY ATMOS for headphones for free :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back