Virtua Fighter 5 - exclusively for PS3, Spring 2007

The term "arcade perfect" is used rather loosely by PR.

SEGA's console-adapted arcade boards never had processing advantages over their home counterparts like a higher pixel fillrate, just more RAM for minimizing load times mainly.

The term "arcade perfect" is used rather loosely by PR.

SEGA's console-adapted arcade boards never had processing advantages over their home counterparts like a higher pixel fillrate, just more RAM for minimizing load times mainly.

Has a console ever had significant advantages over the arcade board though? Arcade may have a few advantages, but PS3 does too (most notably a rather significant increase in the Vertex/Pixel shader power). I would be surprised if some textures didn't need some compressing/resizing, but it isn't like the arcade board has only advantages like you seem to be stating. The arcade has more memory bandwidth to the GPU's memory (~33% more? but it's still not necessarily an equal comparison), less bandwidth elsewhere, and significantly less shader power.

I'd say there is a pretty good chance that they could make an arcade perfect port if they put the time in. It's hard to tell without knowing the specifics of how far they are pushing the arcade board hardware though (like bandwidth usage, memory usage, etc.).

Needing downgrades in some areas doesn't imply that other areas won't be upgraded, obviously. However, when arcade games are converted to home consoles of reasonably comparable performance, they usually aren't redesigned much, so a more direct conversion would more readily expose areas where PS3 is at a disadvantage while also not be looking to take best advantage of PS3's areas of superiority.

Needing downgrades in some areas doesn't imply that other areas won't be upgraded, obviously. However, when arcade games are converted to home consoles of reasonably comparable performance, they usually aren't redesigned much, so a more direct conversion would more readily expose areas where PS3 is at a disadvantage while also not be looking to take best advantage of PS3's areas of superiority.

That's true, I didn't really think of it like that. But, I'd say there are some things where advantages can help though -- shader power increase happens to be one of them... the shaders will just end up finishing faster leaving a bit more wiggle room elsewhere, possibly. Would a game at 720p with a 6800GT (or Ultra? whatever it is) run faster or slower than a G71 @ 550 with less mem bandwidth? As much as I hate PC comparisons like this, it's possible that advantages elsewhere in the GPU can make up for lower memory bandwidth straight up, without much tweaking.

I'd say the PS3 version of VF5 has a good chance to be close enough that without a side-by-side examination a person probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference -- if that's the case, I'd be happy. I'd be surprised if there weren't some noticeable differences, but I don't think they'll be very large.

While some of the RAM difference can be made up by lengthening load times, textures will likely have to be compressed more heavily and other areas of quality might have to be reduced to squeeze in all 1+ gigabytes.

That assesment isn't right, Lindbergh is a PC, most textures and other graphical assets that are needed to be rendered would need to be inside the 256MB GPU memory to get the most performance out of it. And in term of memory footprint, both Lindbergh and PS3 has 256 MB of GPU memory.

I am very doubtful 2 fighters plus a stage is going to have 1 GB of memory footprint in assets. Also with the number of stages and fighters the game would definetly go overs the standard DVD ROM. Its more likely that they load all the fighters and a couple most used stages into that 1 GB main memory.

Yeah, but DoA at least fully embraces its' anime-ness, so it doesn't quite look as inappropriate. ;)

Nah I think its just Japanese, they seems to like the plastic look. Just look at DOA4, Tekken6, VF5, all of the characters look plastic. The VF team said they did it on purpose, so the players can see the characters easier. But I think if they don't make it looks like plastic, those characters will look dead and freaky to some people.

The gameplay scope of arcade titles is focused and narrow. The games don't come close to filling a DVD worth of storage even when their assets are in high definition and their content roster has a relatively high number of characters and stages.

The gameplay scope of arcade titles is focused and narrow. The games don't come close to filling a DVD worth of storage even when their assets are in high definition and their content roster has a relatively high number of characters and stages.

Gameplay scope ? Why are you bringing up gameplay scope ?

Gameplay Scope doesn't reduce what you said earlier "to squeeze in all 1+ gigabytes." Actually focus and narrow gameplay scope will make the entire game that much bigger because you claimed 1+ GB just from that focus and narrow gameplay scope because like you said the game offer a good roster of characters and stages.

The game assets can be low def, but you said "to squeeze in all 1+ gigabytes." You claimed the footprint in bytes, not so easy to backtrack on that one. :)

Nah I think its just Japanese, they seems to like the plastic look. Just look at DOA4, Tekken6, VF5, all of the characters look plastic. The VF team said they did it on purpose, so the players can see the characters easier. But I think if they don't make it looks like plastic, those characters will look dead and freaky to some people.

Tekken 6 was rushed.

I think it might have been a good decision not to bring VF5 to 360; at most it would've moved more consoles in Japan, but the real point I think is that DOA is the fighter for the xbox platform, and nothing's really going to change that.

I think it might have been a good decision not to bring VF5 to 360; at most it would've moved more consoles in Japan, but the real point I think is that DOA is the fighter for the xbox platform, and nothing's really going to change that.

a lot of people would disagree with you on that one

Back