VF5 for North America: Feb 20th '07; Launch title for Euro PS3 launch

some VF5 japan import info

The game is fully English , so probably , it takes over the game settings of your console
(japan ps3 language set to English)
The game is displaying at 720P although my Tv is set to max 1080i .
normally 1080P games are showing in 1080i on my tv but this one does not
so I guess this game is just a 720P game ...right?
no scaling or any kind me thinks

and btw, the Game is fantastic to look and to play . Highly recomended :cool:

some VF5 japan import info

The game is fully English , so probably , it takes over the game settings of your console
(japan ps3 language set to English)
The game is displaying at 720P although my Tv is set to max 1080i .
normally 1080P games are showing in 1080i on my tv but this one does not
so I guess this game is just a 720P game ...right?
no scaling or any kind me thinks

and btw, the Game is fantastic to look and to play . Highly recomended :cool:

Uncheck 720P in the setting, does it play at 1080i or 480P?

For the people that have played this game: Is it possible to use your old PS2 arcade sticks? I would really hate having to buy a new one. I'm assuming a PS2 to USB adaptor would be requiered, but even with that I'm not sure if it'll work.

For the people that have played this game: Is it possible to use your old PS2 arcade sticks? I would really hate having to buy a new one. I'm assuming a PS2 to USB adaptor would be requiered, but even with that I'm not sure if it'll work.

As far as I know, it won't work, even with an adaptor. Interestingly, it doesn't work in the other direction, either. I have the FS3 and it doesn't work with VF4:Evo, Tekken 5, or SC3 (even though you can press the 'Home' button to activate the stick and use the system menu). So at this point, I'm waiting on VF5 and Tekken: DR -- at least both are coming out this month.

It has been tested to work with both Hori's Real Arcade Pro (RAP3) and Fighting Stick 3. You just need the Elecom brand adapter (JC-PS201USV). Both VF5 and Tekken5 DR have been tested to work. On this weeks 1up show the VFDC guys brought in a set of RAP3's to play VF5 on.

ggl01.gif

ggl06.gif

The only problem is that the sticks won't work with PS2 fighting games on the PS3 right now. Probably that can be addressed with a firmware patch.

This is the model you need. I don't know if you can get it outside of Japan.
http://www2.elecom.co.jp/peripheral/gamepad/jc-ps201u/?view=jan

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been tested to work with both Hori's Real Arcade Pro (RAP3) and Fighting Stick 3. You just need the Elecom brand adapter (JC-PS201USV). Both VF5 and Tekken5 DR have been tested to work. On this weeks 1up show the VFDC guys brought in a set of RAP3's to play VF5 on.

Those are both PS3 sticks -- I have the second one. You do *not* need an adaptor, they are USB. Only the FS3 is available in the US, but the HRAP3 and the VSHG can be imported through play-asia (VSHG is currently out of stock). These sticks do not work with existing PS2 games.

1 (or 2) more days!

I pulled out VF4 this weekend briefly... I'm not very good =(

Regardless, can't wait for vf5!

I pulled out my VF4 last week as well (you can see a picture of it sitting behind my gow2 demo in the gow2 thread of mine :p). Came back from EBgames and they said they will get their copies Wednesday. So 2 more days for me, instead of one. :/

I pulled out my VF4 last week as well (you can see a picture of it sitting behind my gow2 demo in the gow2 thread of mine :p). Came back from EBgames and they said they will get their copies Wednesday. So 2 more days for me, instead of one. :/

EB said the same thing here. Regardless, I can't wait!

IGN Review 8.8

7.0 Presentation
Questionable interface problems can make menu navigation a little clunky and the story is almost non-existent. Nice customization options and a great style, though.
8.5 Graphics
Nice special effects and physics compliment admirable models and fun backdrops. The framerate never drops and the high-resolution looks great.
6.0 Sound
Few memorable tunes and cheesy voices don't make for much. The announcing is god-awful too, but at least you can turn it off.
9.5 Gameplay
One of the best fighting systems ever made.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
No online mode and a lack of challenging computer AI is disappointing, but the Quest Mode, character customization, and two-player fun can't be denied.

Closing Comments
Virtua Fighter 5 kicks a whole lot of MMA ass. It offers one of the most intuitive and robust fighting systems ever assembled and the customization options and quest mode are great fun. Granted, its AI isn't very good, it has a couple of interface issues and the lack of online is a major negative, but the mechanics here are so amazing, that it doesn't hurt the overall package as much as it would in other games. Grab a buddy (or five) and play it... a lot!

Gamespot Review: 8.1
The Good: Very sharp graphics; terrific gameplay.
The Bad: Sound effects occasionally sound a bit muffled; lack of single-player variety; no online functionality.

Virtua Fighter 5 is a great fighting game that's specifically geared toward players who have experience with the series. If you've been playing Virtua Fighter for any length of time, this game is worth adding to your library, especially if you have other like-minded players in your immediate vicinity. But if you're a fan of other fighting games and aren't already familiar with Virtua Fighter, it's likely that you're just going to keep on wondering what all the fuss is about.

Gamespy Review : 5/5
Pros
Instant classic that combines face-melting graphics, gameplay that suits both casuals and hardcore, and guaranteed trash-talking bliss.

Cons
No (at the very least) online leaderboards, occasionally mega-cheap A.I., some might feel it's not different enough from VF 4.

While Virtua Fighter has been known as the fighting game for the hardcore for several years now, it is with Virtua Fighter 5 that the series has a fine opportunity for some mainstream love with the average gamers. There's never a strong sense of "oh, you picked the crutch character" that there are in other fighters. Instead, it's a pure fighting experience that gamers who've only played Tekken, DoA, or Soul Calibur will be able to jump in and appreciate, while veterans will hop in and log in endless hours on unlocking as many items as possible. Of course, there's no such thing as a perfect game --that's entirely too subjective-- we wish that VF 5 had some online leaderboards, slightly less cheap A.I., and we're concerned that the hardcore might feel that in spite of its visuals, it's really just "VF 4: NEXT Evolution" with prettier graphics. Again, while some might disagree strongly with us, we're okay with the lack of online multiplayer in this case. Although none of us own a 1080p TV, we wonder if the resolution wasn't capped to give the upcoming 360 version a little more "umph." At the end of the day, however, we close with this advice: for gamers who've mocked their PS3-owning friends, it's time to suck up to them and hang out at their crib for this one. One taste of this, and it's going to feel like a long, long wait for the summertime release on Xbox 360.

It should be noted though, that this game does support 1080p output.

IGN on the AI being too easy is just bad reviewing imho.

What did he want? The AI to always be hard? He says the AI is too easy in arcade mode. Well thats why there are 3 difficulty settings! It needs to be easy enough for someone who has never played a VF game to pick up and playing. He seems to totally disregard that.

He says the AI is "better" in quest mode. But that is the mode people playing SP are going to be playing 99.99% of the time anyway! The only reason to play Arcade mode is to unlock Dural.

A reviewer who says a VF5's AI is too easy is basically just plain wrong. It's not hard to make a "hard" AI that will whoop your ass 100% of the time. No that is the brain dead easy thing to do. The hard thing is to imitate behaviors of a human opponent and try to make each opponent unique.

All the Quest mode opponents not only have their own names and visual style, they all have their own fighting style and combos they like to use. I never felt like "oh here is just another Akira". It feels like a unique character with the nuisances and quirks of a particular fighter.

Picked my copy up today. Only 1 out of the 4 places (2 Walmarts, Best Buy, and Gamestop) I stopped at this morning had it in. The others were still waiting for some reason....

vf5baby.jpg

It was perfect timing because Gamestop is the last place I checked, and the UPS guy was just there dropping off the box.

I found a few movies at a Korean site. Only problem is I have not downloaded any yet so I'm not sure if these are just the character animations or if they're actual gameplay with the characters listed. If you know Korean or if you've already downloaded, please advise. They are listed as 720p and 60fps

http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg3/sega/ruliweb_vf5op_hd.wmv
http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg3/sega/ruliweb_vf5qst_hd.wmv
http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg3/sega/ruliweb_vf5_lau_hd.wmv
http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg3/sega/ruliweb_vf5_jeffry_hd.wmv
http://ruliwebfile.empas.com/mpeg3/sega/ruliweb_vf5_jacky_hd.wmv

For the rest : http://ruliweb.empas.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?page=1&num=15295&find=&ftext=&main=ps

Back