VF5 for North America: Feb 20th '07; Launch title for Euro PS3 launch

I got my copy as well, been playing for about 2 hours and I'm loving it. Lot of depth into each character. I can already tell its going to take a long time to master everyone, or even one character. Graphics are better than I expected, the screens don't do it justice. Everything looks better in motion, especially with the self shadowing. The waterfall stage & snow-mountain stage are awesome.

I'm still a Tekken fan 1st and foremost, but VF is definitely growing on me. ;)

Only bad news is, EB didn't have any arcade sticks in yet.

Another 2 hours til I can play it =(

The horror! The Agony!

I hate release days on movies/games that I'm really looking forward to.

I played it a bit at work last night with an artist who is a big VF fan. Of course, I had to play on a gamepad, so it just wasn't the same. When I got home, I played it on the FS3 and got Sarah up to 2nd Dan in Quest mode. The FS3 is a decent stick, particularly considering it's the only one available in the states, although it can be a bit loose and the L1/L2 buttons are located a bit too close to the stick itself. I found myself to be quite comfortable with it after 15-20 minutes, but I think I will ultimately watch out for a VSHG to become available through play-asia or elsewhere.

IGN on the AI being too easy is just bad reviewing imho.

What did he want? The AI to always be hard? He says the AI is too easy in arcade mode. Well thats why there are 3 difficulty settings! It needs to be easy enough for someone who has never played a VF game to pick up and playing. He seems to totally disregard that.

He says the AI is "better" in quest mode. But that is the mode people playing SP are going to be playing 99.99% of the time anyway! The only reason to play Arcade mode is to unlock Dural.

A reviewer who says a VF5's AI is too easy is basically just plain wrong. It's not hard to make a "hard" AI that will whoop your ass 100% of the time. No that is the brain dead easy thing to do. The hard thing is to imitate behaviors of a human opponent and try to make each opponent unique.

All the Quest mode opponents not only have their own names and visual style, they all have their own fighting style and combos they like to use. I never felt like "oh here is just another Akira". It feels like a unique character with the nuisances and quirks of a particular fighter.
Got to agree. The same was for VF4. I am sure they didnt bother much with the game's arcade mode.

If its anything like VF4 even in hard mode the first 4 fights are extremely easy even in the hardest setting but they are harder later. If they didnt bother much with the arcade mode they wont notice it. Still not as good opponents as in the quest mode, but who cares about the arcade mode anyways? The whole deal is in the quest mode.

Thats where VF4 excelled

I am also disspointed by IGN's review. VF5 got a lower score than DOA4? Come on!

The sound is pretty awesome in the game. Granted I only have a standard 5.1 setup. But if you play in one of those arenas like the wrestling cage, the guys chanting in the background in surround sound is just awesome. And with the guys with heavy punches and kicks like Akira or Lei-Fei (especially when he hits the ground with his two hands) the bass is sweet.

That said, the english commentary has to be the cheesiest thing ever. :p Most of the time its just repeated stuff and theres a delay when the match goes quick. Does anybody know how I can get the japanese commentary?

Anyways, I'm not a great VF player but the dojo is definately helping me improve my skills. Ive only been playing with El Blaze and Lion Rafale seriously today. Tommorrow I'll have to try out some others.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound is pretty awesome in the game. Granted I only have a standard 5.1 setup. But if you play in one of those arenas like the wrestling cage, the guys chanting in the background in surround sound is just awesome. And with the guys with heavy punches and kicks like Akira or Lei-Fei (especially when he hits the ground with his two hands) the bass is sweet.

That said, the english commentary has to be the cheesiest thing ever. :p Most of the time its just repeated stuff and theres a delay when the match goes quick. Does anybody know how I can get the japanese commentary?

Anyways, I'm not a great VF player but the dojo is definately helping me improve my skills. Ive only been playing with El Blaze and Lion Rafale seriously today. Tommorrow I'll have to try out some others.

To get the Japanese commentary, you'd have to change your PS3 language to Japanese (which will then make everything in Japanese, but at least you'll have your preferred commentary!)

To get the Japanese commentary, you'd have to change your PS3 language to Japanese (which will then make everything in Japanese, but at least you'll have your preferred commentary!)

:LOL: Bummer, maybe I'll try it out later just for shits and giggles.

Man, I'm really not very good anymore -- I couldn't even beat arcade mode initially!

I used to love playing Pai, but now I've sort of found myself playing Akira more...

Anyone else find new characters? What are other people's favorites?

El Blaze is a lot of fun. Not that hard to learn but there seems to be a deep learning curve for his more advanced moves. I love his style. I'm using him through quest mode at the moment.

I havent tried the new girl yet.

How does El Blaze compare to Wolf? He's my fav fighter but I loved watching the vids for El Blaze, I might have to pick up a PS3 earlier than I expected.

El Blaze is a lot of fun. Not that hard to learn but there seems to be a deep learning curve for his more advanced moves. I love his style. I'm using him through quest mode at the moment.

I havent tried the new girl yet.

I tried the new girl briefly, but I couldn't swing the notion that I was playing some weird monkey.

Didn't really like her from the ~5 matches I played with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'm really not very good anymore -- I couldn't even beat arcade mode initially!

I used to love playing Pai, but now I've sort of found myself playing Akira more...

Anyone else find new characters? What are other people's favorites?

My favorite from VF4Evo is Aoi, I wonder if she got some cool new moves. I really need to play this game, though I started playing Evo again to not be as rusty and I'm loving it. Too bad PS3 prices over here are still exorbitant (in the $1000 range) I don't know how much more I can hold out.

Back