Virtua Tennis 3 announced for PS3/360

not to mention, even with corrective lenses, my vision is not 20/20 :???:

I am sometimes about 10' away and feel good about the DLP offering good contrast/blacks and color though. :smile:
Understood, I simply mentioned those factors as improvements in such qualities are visible from any reasonable distance, where as the sharpness offered by higher display resolution is quickly lost by sitting too far away to perceive the difference.

native 1080p on xb360

Wouldn't it make better sense to render all games on 360 at 1080p and let the scaler down sample the image to 720p and lesser displays? Even if devs could not even get 2xaa at 1080p it would still enable those with 1080p displays to run their games in full resolution while lower res displays would get supersampling.

2 tiles 1080p no aa
2 tiles 720p 2xaa

Post processing would not have the benefit of a smaller front buffer but couldn't these fx be applied at a lower resolution and upscaled then applied to the full res backbuffer?

From my understanding postprocessing comprises of things like color adjustment, blur, grain, etc.

These seem like operations that would not be overly sensitive to upscaling.

the buffers for 1080p with 2xAA take 31.8MB.
So you would need 3 tiles.
Anyway, I hope others dev teams will focus on 720P...
VT3 can prove to be great tennis game but it's all but technically impressive (i find it somewhat ugly in fact).

It says "For the first time, Xbox 360 gamers can experience high-definition 1080p graphics..." Considering the 360 can upscale any game to 1080p, what besides being rendered at 1080p would you think it means?

My two cents for marketing!

Erm, might be a silly question, but i only got my 360 connected to a 50" 720p Bravia - is it actually possible to output 1080p via component? I think at least on the PS3 thats only possible via HDMI isnt it?

My two cents for marketing!

Erm, might be a silly question, but i only got my 360 connected to a 50" 720p Bravia - is it actually possible to output 1080p via component? I think at least on the PS3 thats only possible via HDMI isnt it?

Games yes

Movies no

Vga enables both

Your TV also has to accept/deal with 1080p through component too. AFAIK, Bravias do not (only through vga and hdmi).

Wouldn't it make better sense to render all games on 360 at 1080p and let the scaler down sample the image to 720p and lesser displays?

Doesn't make any sense at all IMO. Developers should choose the resolution that best fits their game design as well gives the best visual punch. A number of developers have commented on how they could get "better graphics" at lower resolutions if it were not mandated to use HD resolutions. Take Gears of War as an example: you force Epic to hit 1080p framerate is going to suffer or visual quality is going to be cut. Whatever the bottleneck(s) are could see some drastic quality reduction to hit an artificial resolution check box that, to the common end user, is irrelevant.

As for downscaling, many 360 games are not downscaled, but instead it renders at the native resolution. This is pretty common for games in 480p from what I have heard (i.e. native 480p rendering and not 720p downscaled).

Nice to see a 3D crowd. :D

What's the likelihood of them using a 24-bit Z buffer to just nudge the backbuffer under 30MB so that they only need to do 3 tiles? I'm not too familiar with Z-buffer usage, but would they need that extra precision for such a closed-off environment? I mean... it's just a tennis court i.e. not something with a huge draw distance.

(~27.7MB w/24-bit Z)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see a 3D crowd. :D

What's the likelihood of them using a 24-bit Z buffer to just nudge the backbuffer under 30MB so that they only need to do 3 tiles? I'm not too familiar with Z-buffer usage, but would they need that extra precision for such a closed-off environment? I mean... it's just a tennis court i.e. not something with a huge draw distance.

(~27.7MB w/24-bit Z)

Interesting - any word of other titles skimping on Z?

Demo available now on Xbox Live

VT3 Demo available now on Xbox Live

looks really good IMO (720p) but not better than most recent releases in general. the lighting and textures are better than Top Spin2 (a year old?) by far and the game play feels pretty good although a little different than I remember from Dreamcast version. :smile: great use of color and the close up skins look as good if not better than any screens I've seen. The animations could use some smoothing but not bad.

This game has the potential to rule on Xbox live as it seems to play a pretty lively game :D

noticed several more things after extended gameplay:

it's not easy :p

the demo cycles through several different venues giving you a good view of the surfaces and different lighting environments

the music sucks... :p

...which did give me a chance to use one of the coolest features of the X360 OS though.... hit guide mid-demo call up a playlist from my PC and stream music into the game which keeps all of the announcing and sound effects in tact and ONLY replaces the in game music. Much better :cool::smile:

what?

no love for this game? people were all excited a couple of months ago. :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back