Virtua Fighter 5 Interview - Possibly Headed To 360? *Confirmed!

Hardknock

Veteran
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3155915

Some Interesting Quotes:

1UP: The PlayStation 3 version of Virtua Fighter 5 marks the first time in the history of the series that the home version could possibly look better than its arcade counterpart. Can you tell us a little bit about the technical challenges of bringing the game from the Lindbergh arcade hardware to the PS3?

Noriyuki Shimoda: The video chip on the Lindbergh and the PS3 is the same, so with that part we didn't have much difficulty. But the CPU is different. Lindbergh is Pentium 4 and the PS3 is Cell, so we can't use the technology in the exact same way; we have to use the hardware in a different way. So that part was very difficult. Another issue is the memory. The PS3 doesn't have as much memory as an arcade unit, so it was difficult for us to put everything within the constraints of the hardware. We've since gotten past that challenge, so it's kind of a nice memory now, but at the time it was certainly difficult.

1UP: One thing that's interesting is that the PS3 is undoubtedly going to be big in Japan, but in North America and Europe the Xbox 360 has a pretty sizeable head start, not to mention an installed-base advantage. Have you considered the financial benefits to bringing the game to the system (the 360) with the bigger installed-base in North America? I've heard that Lindbergh is closer in design to 360 due to the PC-style architecture of the systems. I don't know if this is true or not, but I'm interested in knowing your opinion on this.

NS: Regarding the rumor that you heard that Lindbergh and Xbox 360 hardware are closer, that's not actually true. The PS3 is closer because of the same video chip, which is why we decided to create VF5 on PS3. However, we think that the 360 is a great piece of hardware, so there is a chance that we will create something on 360. It's not that we want to concentrate only on PlayStation 3. As to whether we've got anything scheduled at this point, we don't have anything that we can announce at this time.

Not necessarilly VF5 but other arcade games may be coming to it it seems. VF5 could too but who knows.

There's nothing in that interview that makes me think VF5 is coming for the 360. That said, the interview was really interesting. I didn't know about the frame counter. I never bother to study frames and all that, but if the info is easy enough to aquire (as in I don't have to go looking on the net, but can see it directly on screen) I just might this time around. Also it was nice to find out it's based on version B (though it'd be nice to know the difference from A). And finally confirmation there's no online functionality :cry:. They could have at least had downloadable content, like the items from the arcade that won't make it in the game because of time. He said that once you commit to putting the stuff on the disk that's it, but that doesn't have to be true, so sad really. Anyways, thanks for the link, it was quite informative.

Well the interviewer is specifically asking about VF5:

Have you considered the financial benefits to bringing the game to the system (the 360) with the bigger installed-base in North America?

And the response is:

As to whether we've got anything scheduled at this point, we don't have anything that we can announce at this time.

In reference to the original question it's not out of reason to think VF5 on 360 is possible. Obviously something is already in the works whatever it is.

The thing is the interview is with 2 guys who are only responsible for the PS3 port of the game. Not the VF franchise itself. It would not be their decision to make whether or not to do a port. And obviously they would not be allowed to comment on it.

Of course people are going to read it however way they want.

I guess if you take the quotes out of context then he's hinting something. But my broken english tells me that the "anything" refers to the "something" that they have "a chance" of creating. Vague on top of vague, on top of vague. Chances were bigger for Oblivion going to PS3 ;)

Using their logic, it's definately possible. But I just think it's kinda odd they are not porting over VF5 on both systems at the same time. They say it's because of hardware differences, but at the same time isnt VT3 being ported over on both systems coming out on the same day, and orginally runs on the Lindbergh like VF5? Sounds like may be prioritizng their teams and cannot do all of them at once so we might see it on the 360 sometime down the road, or that they have some kind of reason they are not speaking about. Maybe some kind of timed exclusive deal with Sony?

Probably the former, but I just think it's odd. Kind of a double standard going by what they said; One game currently is not ported due to hardware differences, but another game gets ported dispite the same hardware differences.

Anyways, other parts of the interview share some info that die hard VF fans will probably enjoy. :)
Now, in tandem with both of these optional displays is a frame counter, which gives hardcore VF acolytes all the information they need to study this game like a science.

The frame counter basically displays the frames of animation in a particular move. While this feature isn't likely to set the casual gamer on fire -- any moreso than seeing stock exchange numbers floating across a digital readout to anyone not interested in stocks -- to people who view the action in Virtua Fighter as a science, a frame counter will help them decipher when, where, and how -- in conjunction with the myriad CPU training dummy options -- to counter, parry, and reverse any attack in the game. Knowing exactly at what point in a character's attack animation (their own and an opponent's) to launch a reactive move is obviously best performed through instinct and intuition, but the addition of a frame counter will help dedicated players become even better. Again, while this is a minor feature for the average player, for those who study Virtua Fighter, it's a godsend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using their logic, it's definately possible. But I just think it's kinda odd they are not porting over VF5 on both systems at the same time. They say it's because of hardware differences, but at the same time isnt VT3 being ported over on both systems coming out on the same day, and orginally runs on the Lindbergh like VF5? Sounds like may be prioritizng their teams and cannot do all of them at once so we might see it on the 360 sometime down the road, or that they have some kind of reason they are not speaking about. Maybe some kind of timed exclusive deal with Sony?

Probably the former, but I just think it's odd. Kind of a double standard going by what they said; One game currently is not ported due to hardware differences, but another game gets ported dispite the same hardware differences.

Anyways, other parts of the interview share some info that die hard VF fans will probably enjoy. :)
VF4 would have looked tons better on XBOX1 but it wasnt ported there either despite of some rumors of VF4.5 coming for it. I believe they like the VF series being exclusive on one console. Something like a tradition most likely to keep the franchises name high similarly to what Kojima does with the MGS and ZOE series. But that doesnt mean they have less interest on the 360. They will support it just as much

Well the interviewer is specifically asking about VF5:
You realize you're reaching pretty hard there? There's some relevant information in the parts you've chosen to ignore. Like there just might be a difference between "VF5 on PS3" + "chance that we will create something on 360" and "VF5 possibly headed to 360", your sensationalist headline. This thread is therefore unsubstantiated fan-raving.

I'm going to take my chance to neg-rep now before the thread gets locked and that stops working. It always bums me out when that happens, but not this time.

Sorry, but why is the title, which include the words "possibly" with the OP's reasons for why he thinks its possible "sensationalistic" in a discussion forum about games?

Sorry, but why is the title, which include the words "possibly" with the OP's reasons for why he thinks its possible "sensationalistic" in a discussion forum about games?
There is a U in FUD, and the word "possibly" is an adequate fit
The substance of the source is "VF5 on PS3, no commitment to 360". Sensationalism is the difference between that and what we ended up getting as a headline.

Sensationalism is generally applied to media; this is a discussion forum where the poster posed the question of the possability in the thread title and subsequently put forth his reasons why.

Thanks Dave B. and that's exactly why I have a question mark in the title. We can't even discuss things rationally without a multitude of over sensitive f@nboy responses. It's possible VF5 or some other AM2 game (VF2 XBLA release with online play would be awesome!) is on it's way to 360. If you disagree with my assessment then bring your reasons why, anything else is adding noise.

I don't know why people get their panties in a bunch over the possibility of this stuff.

I mean look at it logically. With a user base of 10 million by early 2007, devs would be fools to not consider a 360 version of almost any game that is not 1st party or contract exclusive. IMO.

Sensationalism is generally applied to media; this is a discussion forum where the poster posed the question of the possability in the thread title and subsequently put forth his reasons why.
You've mis-spelt "marketing" there.
You'll note that a certain level of decency has so far prevented the creation of the "Lost Planet possibly on PS3?", "Bungie possibly becoming a Sony 1st party?" and mutliple other harmless-question threads. If you think throwing every imaginable shit at the wall and see what happens next is the generally applied strategy to come up with discussion topics, you haven't watched your ex-website very closely.

But you have vested interests so just thanks for playing.

You've mis-spelt "marketing" there.
You'll note that a certain level of decency has so far prevented the creation of the "Lost Planet possibly on PS3?", "Bungie possibly becoming a Sony 1st party?" and mutliple other harmless-question threads. If you think throwing every imaginable shit at the wall and see what happens next is the generally applied strategy to come up with discussion topics, you haven't watched your ex-website very closely.

But you have vested interests so just thanks for playing.

Because we know zeckenseck doesn't have any bias at all!! Just calm down, this is SEGA we're talking about here, not Bungie. This isn't that outlandish of a suggestion, when a guy states:

so there is a chance that we will create something on 360. It's not that we want to concentrate only on PlayStation 3. As to whether we've got anything scheduled at this point, we don't have anything that we can announce at this time.

That is a positive sign, and they definately aren't ruling anything out. Also, in my experience, anytime a publisher uses the 'at this time' qualifier, something is usually in the works.

Back