Virtua Tennis 3 announced for PS3/360

Arwin said:
Could you explain to me why, exactly? I mean, I could think of some practical issues, but no technical ones ...
Technical? No. The only question there would be sensitivity of the device and just how much racket-arm control the developers would want to put in.

I was referring back to the complications with anyone wanting to one-hand-swing a DS3 for any period of time. ;) While indeed you have the normal grip you'd use with that hand, you don't have an even grip, nor the ability to properly use the analog stick or buttons without affecting that grip.

In short, it would suck.

Limited flailing around for a short scene in games where you don't need much other button timing would be one thing, but a game where you'd be swinging constantly throughout? Hell no! (I have a hard enough time thinking anyone would want to do that with the Wii's controller either; not for any extended period.)

mckmas8808 said:
So is it with the Wii?

the nunchuck style can simulate the swinging and/or aiming of either a melee or a projectile weapon... DS3's form factor doesnt allow for more than a flight yoke style use... very limited compared to the wiimote...

natively or upscaled ?

Very good question. They really seem to be noting the extra fidelity which would be quite misleading if it wasn't native.

For the first time, Xbox 360 gamers can experience high-definition 1080p graphics on their console with Virtua Tennis 3. With the highest digital video standard enabled on the Xbox 360, each of the 20 tennis pros featured in Virtua Tennis 3 appear even more realistic, while the court environments deliver a newfound richness in colour and texture. The increased levels of detail can be picked out in the spectators and backgrounds, and despite the increased number of pixels on screen, the smooth gameplay mechanics and movements of the players are just as fluid as ever.

“We’re thrilled to be able to say that Virtua Tennis 3 will be coming to Xbox 360, showcasing an online experience with Xbox Live that you won’t find on any other systems and spectacular 1080p graphics,â€￾ said George Peckham, general manager, global third party publishing for the Interactive Entertainment Business, Microsoft. “Fun and easy to pick up and play, Sega is hitting another ace with Virtua Tennis 3.â€￾

MS PR, so all we know is it support 1080p. Now they say "first time" but I thought a few others supported upscaled to 1080p, so maybe they are saying this is the first native? I dunno. It would be mildly surprising, but then again I think the arcade version (~32GB/s graphics bandwidth) is like 1368*768 or whatnot, and RSX (~20GB/s + XDR) is pushing it to 1920x1080 so it would be an interesting test case of where the bottlenecks in the game are.

ok, now I'm pissed I got the 720p 50" Samsung DLP last month (looks great BTW).... well I sit too far away to notice the frickin difference btwn 1080p anyway. ;)

For the first time, Xbox 360 gamers can experience high-definition 1080p graphics on their console with Virtua Tennis 3. With the highest digital video standard enabled on the Xbox 360, each of the 20 tennis pros featured in Virtua Tennis 3 appear even more realistic, while the court environments deliver a newfound richness in colour and texture. The increased levels of detail can be picked out in the spectators and backgrounds, and despite the increased number of pixels on screen, the smooth gameplay mechanics and movements of the players are just as fluid as ever.
yes Joshua, i think it's the first released NATIVE 1080p 360 game. It only makes sense since all games upscale to 1080p on 360.

ok, now I'm pissed I got the 720p 50" Samsung DLP last month (looks great BTW).... well I sit too far away to notice the frickin difference btwn 1080p anyway. ;)

yes Joshua, i think it's the first released NATIVE 1080p 360 game. It only makes sense since all games upscale to 1080p on 360.

Wasn't SC double agent 1080p also ?

This MUST be the reason you can't see a difference between DVD and HD DVD! :p

oh I see the difference. :smile:

HD DVD looks much better than DVD .... think how good it would have looked had I spent that extra $500 on the 1080p though... :runaway::mad:

;)

no, 720p/1080i
I'm guessing you are talking about what is listed on the back of the box, but that is just marketing nonsense and Double Agent is always rendered at 720p. The 360 will scale that to 1080i, 1080p or any other resolution one can set in dashboard, but the game is still rendered at 1280x720 regardless. The 'Double Agent is 1080p' misunderstanding came about because review copies came with the 1080p dashboard update and some reviewer took that to mean more than it does; but as it stands, no currently released 360 games are rendered at 1080p, and there aren't any rendered at 1080i ether.

oh I see the difference. :smile:

HD DVD looks much better than DVD .... think how good it would have looked had I spent that extra $500 on the 1080p though... :runaway::mad:

;)
How far do you sit from your TV? If you are 10' or more from that 50" display you'd need better than 20/20 vision to resolve anything over 720p anyway, and you wouldn't be getting the full benefit of 1080 unless you scooted up to 6.5' or bought a larger display.

But that is only resolvable resolution, higher rendering resolution makes for a notable improvement to image quality even when being scaled to a lower resolution. So, thanks to the 360's internal scaler, all of us will be able to benefit from games like VT3 being rendered at 720p, even those of us with lower resolution displays.

How far do you sit from your TV? If you are 10' or more from that 50" display you'd need better than 20/20 vision to resolve anything over 720p anyway, and you wouldn't be getting the full benefit of 1080 unless you scooted up to 6.5' or bought a larger display.

But that is only resolvable resolution, higher rendering resolution makes for a notable improvement to image quality even when being scaled to a lower resolution. So, thanks to the 360's internal scaler, all of us will be able to benefit from games like VT3 being rendered at 720p, even those of us with lower resolution displays.

Cool!

thanks Kyle.... yea my 11.5' at 50" sounds like a sweet spot for 720p and not worth the 1080p; although it was awfully tempting knowing all my games would be upscaled. :p

Were does it say its NATIVELY at 1080p rendered on 360? :???:
It says "For the first time, Xbox 360 gamers can experience high-definition 1080p graphics..." Considering the 360 can upscale any game to 1080p, what besides being rendered at 1080p would you think it means?

Cool!

thanks Kyle.... yea my 11.5' at 50" sounds like a sweet spot for 720p and not worth the 1080p; although it was awfully tempting knowing all my games would be upscaled. :p
But again at that distance from that size of display, 20/20 vision will still be resolving that at less than 720p anyway. Under such conditions a display wich supports higher contrast, better color accuracy, and deaper black levels will do far more for image quality than one a higher resolution than what can be resolved at the distance it is being viewed from.

It says "For the first time, Xbox 360 gamers can experience high-definition 1080p graphics...". Considering the 360 can upscale any game to 1080p, what besides being rendered at 1080p would you think it means?

But again at that distance from that size of display, 20/20 vision will still be resolving that at less than 720p anyway. Under such conditions a display wich supports higher contrast, better color accuracy, and deaper black levels will do far more for image quality than one a higher resolution than what can be resolved at the distance it is being viewed from.

not to mention, even with corrective lenses, my vision is not 20/20 :???:

I am sometimes about 10' away and feel good about the DLP offering good contrast/blacks and color though. :smile:

Back