Virtua Fighter 5 - exclusively for PS3, Spring 2007

Bad_Boy said:
You think with the Cell + RSX they could bump the game up to some nice 720p/1080i/1080p resolutions with AA/AF? Just asking because it doesnt seem like Sega will change any real graphical effects about the overall game, like for example the shiny skin. So maybe the extra power could be put to other uses.

Knowing SEGA, i wouldn't be surprised if in the end the PS3 version had less detail than the original, even though the hardware is actually faster...

london-boy said:
Knowing SEGA, i wouldn't be surprised if in the end the PS3 version had less detail than the original, even though the hardware is actually faster...

Who cares it's Virtua Fighter! :p Seriously, I don't play VF for its graphics, it's the game mechanics that make it so appealing.

london-boy said:
you presume ps3 is faster then a p4 @3ghz with a GF 6800 :devilish:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/725/725779p1.html
IGN: The style of the game looks much more realistic and much cleaner thanks to the engine. Is there anything specific about the Lindbergh arcade board itself (the next generation arcade board with an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU that can display 1280x768)?

Justin: It's funny, because it used to be that home machines used to be trying to catch up to the arcades for years and years. Now, more time and R&D is being spent on the home consoles, so now it's not so much that arcades are trying to keep up with them, but it's really an even "arms race." We're talking about that perfect arcade translation, which is essentially what Virtua Fighter 5 is doing right here, where you can essentially drop in verbatim (as best as possible -- that's the team's goal) an exact match to the game's performance and visuals based on the core of the game. So it's not looking at the PS3 or the 360 or anything else that's out and saying, "This is what our goals are here." The team is working on getting the most out of their hardware and how that transfers to the PS3, which I think has been very successfully done.

Thanks one, that was a interesting article/interview. A sega rep talked about the part you quoted a bit on the 1upYours podcast a week or so ago in how the transition from Arcade (Lindbergh) to PS3 would be an much easier one due to the common ground of the nvidia gpu. Easier...meaning closer to making perfect arcade ports.

Though I'm not as much of a Virtua Fighter fan compared to my love for Tekken, I am waiting for this game to drop next year. :)

By my calculations RSX (assuming they didn't downgrade the clock) has like 2.6 times the shader capability of the 6800GT in Lindbergh.

So I dont see why they wouldn't blow away with the port. Unless Cell or ~30% less memory bandwidth is holding them back somehow.

Basically I dont see why they're talking in terms of perfect port, rather than upgraded port, especially since VF5 isn't doing much in the visuals department anyway.
________
SuperHotBlondie

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's more of a design decision than a hardware limitation. I think Sega would want the console version as close as to the arcade version as possible. Considering the arcade versions have been somewhat better than the console ports in the past, this is actually good news.

Might the extra RAM in Lindbergh make it so they have to spend more active processing on RSX (and the rest) to make up for it?

Might the extra RAM in Lindbergh make it so they have to spend more active processing on RSX (and the rest) to make up for it?

From what I understand (after Vysez explaining to me) the RAM advantage in Lindbergh would be used achieve faster loading times. Arcades must load much faster than their console counterparts. So while the PS3 has much less ram compared to the Lindbergh, they should balance out and probably will look very similar (as the interview seems to point out); but the console version should have slightly longer loading.

Lindbergh's advantages over PS3, performance areas like fillrate and memory space, will probably result in some downgraded aspects for the home conversion.

Back when SEGA derived arcade boards from home console architectures, they used to take care to design the arcade games not to spend more memory on their main elements than the home consoles contained so that the games would be more port-friendly. Since Lindbergh wasn't derived from a home console, and since the arcades are more important to Sega Sammy than the home business, and also since they've said that they're trying to exploit Lindbergh to its fullest for Virtua Fighter 5, they're probably not limiting the game's design to consideration for the PS3's lesser memory space.

While some of the RAM difference can be made up by lengthening load times, textures will likely have to be compressed more heavily and other areas of quality might have to be reduced to squeeze in all 1+ gigabytes.

Lindbergh's advantages over PS3, performance areas like fillrate and memory space, will probably result in some downgraded aspects for the home conversion.

Back when SEGA derived arcade boards from home console architectures, they used to take care to design the arcade games not to spend more memory on their main elements than the home consoles contained so that the games would be more port-friendly. Since Lindbergh wasn't derived from a home console, and since the arcades are more important to Sega Sammy than the home business, and also since they've said that they're trying to exploit Lindbergh to its fullest for Virtua Fighter 5, they're probably not limiting the game's design to consideration for the PS3's lesser memory space.

While some of the RAM difference can be made up by lengthening load times, textures will likely have to be compressed more heavily and other areas of quality might have to be reduced to squeeze in all 1+ gigabytes.
I dont know about you but according to the article we are talking about a perfect port depsite that Lindbergh wasnt developed with consoles in mind. Also previously home console architectures were more inferior than the arcade boards.

Back