Virtua Fighter 5 Interview - Possibly Headed To 360? *Confirmed!

If I'm Sony, I'll feel dumb for letting VF5 go multiplatform. However at the same token I don't think it will be a big lost. VF is huge in Japan and niche everywhere else. The PS3 has already outsold the 360 in Japan. The PS3 also has the better controller for fighting games and supports the same GPU as the arcade cabinet. I have a feeling that the 360 version will be inferior. Where do you think the majority of the sales will go? The PS3 of course. This means VF6 will go back exclusive to the PS3.

It's a nice move to try and expand the VF series to other consoles. But I doubt it will get any attention to Westerners simply because the game doesn't delivery on long flashy moves and the characters are all static. The game is too technical for Westerners that they don't want to invest the value it has. MS should be happy, but I think Sega won't make any profit for doing a 360 version. It's a big risk.

If I'm Sony, I'll feel dumb for letting VF5 go multiplatform. However at the same token I don't think it will be a big lost. VF is huge in Japan and niche everywhere else. The PS3 has already outsold the 360 in Japan. The PS3 also has the better controller for fighting games and supports the same GPU as the arcade cabinet. I have a feeling that the 360 version will be inferior. Where do you think the majority of the sales will go? The PS3 of course. This means VF6 will go back exclusive to the PS3.

It's a nice move to try and expand the VF series to other consoles. But I doubt it will get any attention to Westerners simply because the game doesn't delivery on long flashy moves and the characters are all static. The game is too technical for Westerners that they don't want to invest the value it has. MS should be happy, but I think Sega won't make any profit for doing a 360 version. It's a big risk.

your beliefs are very seat of your pants... if VF is released in AMERICA and EUROPE the x360 version will clean house... and outsell th entire Japanese PS3 Market.

Hmm.

Given this game renders to a FP16 framebuffer on the arcade and PS3, can we assume they don't use AA... And the 360 will probably use FP10... So have a significant bandwidth advantage, which could go into AA and other things? :yes:

Hmm.

Given this game renders to a FP16 framebuffer on the arcade and PS3, can we assume they don't use AA... And the 360 will probably use FP10... So have a significant bandwidth advantage, which could go into AA and other things? :yes:
I don't trust sega for a good port, the game is likely to look better on ps3 but not due to technical merit of the plateform.

Are you sure? Bec'se for example SC II (GC) sold as much as much PS2 version if I am not wrong....:???:

I think that had a lot to do with the exclusive characters each version had. The GC had Link which might explain why it sold so well. On the other hand I remember the Xbox version selling like crap, so I'm not sure what your point is.

I think that had a lot to do with the exclusive characters each version had. The GC had Link which might explain why it sold so well. On the other hand I remember the Xbox version selling like crap, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Xbox version sold well too. I think VF5 will sell very well on X360 considering most of the Dreamcast fans flocked to Xbox and now X360. Maybe not in Japan due to the low install base but definitely in the US and Europe.

Virtua Fighter 4 sold more in the US than Japan on console.

Vertex texture fetching was heavily utilized for VF5's graphics according to the AM2 article, so the X360 might be the best for running the game.

Virtua Fighter 4 sold more in the US than Japan on console.

Vertex texture fetching was heavily utilized for VF5's graphics according to the AM2 article, so the X360 might be the best for running the game.
Oh come on. You don't want me to pick up that spoon again :rolleyes:
If anything Lindbergh's vertex texture fetching was used for VF5. Lindbergh's GPU is an NV40, and NV40 is at least two things: 1)made by the same company as RSX, 2)less vertex texture fetchy than RSX. RSX is an architectural improvement over NV40.

If you must insist on spinning the 360 version into the more desirable one, at least use a sensible angle of approach, such as framebuffer bandwidth.

Oh come on. You don't want me to pick up that spoon again :rolleyes:
If anything Lindbergh's vertex texture fetching was used for VF5. Lindbergh's GPU is an NV40, and NV40 is at least two things: 1)made by the same company as RSX, 2)less vertex texture fetchy than RSX. RSX is an architectural improvement over NV40.

Yet if the game was vertex texturing limited, an architecture that was less-vertex texturing limited could remove a significant bottleneck, which could either speed up the game or, in such limited scenarios, have better quality. That said I don't believe this will be an issue because it is a port and I doubt AM2 will improve the quality of vertex texturing and everything else is probably pushed to the walls, as is (as I am sure Sega would have limited the amount of dependancy on something they identified as a bottleneck).

I think everyone should fully expect the PS3 version to be the better of the two--because of hardware and the fact it will sell well in Japan which where the PS3 already is ahead of the Xbox 360 if memory serves right. There is every reason to focus resources on the PS3 version and make it as nearly perfect as possible.

I think everyone should fully expect the PS3 version to be the better of the two--because of graphics hardware similarity... There is every reason to focus resources on the PS3 version and make it as nearly perfect as possible because of the ease of the port and the expectation that it will be a system seller..

VF4: Evolution sales were much lower in both territories and still made the US into the biggest market for Virtua Fighter on console.

The true NPD data is in line with that 700k figure for the US, and the 500k number for Japan was right.

The 300k US figure from that multi-game US chart is part of an erroneous entry which also incidentally includes a 100k VF4: Evo number further down the list that should actually be more like 300k.

now that its coming to XB360, doesnt anyone think 360 version will be a lot inferior to ps3 version in terms of content etc??? i experienced how konami treated XB360 by reducing a lot of contents like stadiums and edit mode etc on pro evo 6 compared to ps2 version

Back