Virtua Fighter 5 - exclusively for PS3, Spring 2007

Titanio

Legend
Pretty big announcement..

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149349

Today, Sega announced that Virtua Fighter 5 is indeed coming to a next-generation console ... but not the Xbox 360. The game will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 when it is released in North America in Spring 2007. Like the 360, though, the game will feature high-definition graphics, and will support 720p resolution.

Virtua Fighter 5 will sport more than 15 characters, including many from previous installments. It will also include two new characters, Eileen and El Blaze. Of Chinese descent, Eileen "uses a Monkey Kung-Fu fighting style that she learned from her grandfather, a former Kung-Fu master," according to Sega. As one might gather from the name, El Blaze is a master of Lucha Libre, the flamboyant style of Mexican wrestling.

Finally the Console port announcement

Praise the Sega lords!

This is the kind of news I love to wake up to.

Virtua Fighter!

I'm kind of surprised they announced a console release at all..does the arcade version even have a fixed release date yet? In NA?

Something tells me it might come later to Japan, if Sega wants to encourage arcade business.

Please, folks, let's not turn this into another PS3 VS X360 thread (I know that the GS article do mention it, but still).

Let's just discuss about the fact that Virtua Fighter 5 will be released on a Console.

Sega just signed a deal with sony and with somebody else :D . they wont show ingame footage since they practicly didnt start dev ing for sonys console. most probably they will show some kind of arcade trailer going as console version.

hey69 said:
Sega just signed a deal with sony and with somebody else :D . they wont show ingame footage since they practicly didnt start dev ing for sonys console. most probably they will show some kind of arcade trailer going as console version.

Who's the somebody else? And how will they make that game in less than one year?

This makes perfect business sense actualy. VF has always been popular in Japan so it makes sense to release it on PS3. SONY probably gave them a good deal too.

mckmas8808 said:
Who's the somebody else? And how will they make that game in less than one year?

they can port it fairly easy and for the other side, just wait for e3 . it also Involves VF series

I think we're quite lucky this next generation. Both consoles will be really easy to develop for, compared to the last generation. And games developed for typical PC GPUs will port very very well to both consoles, as they both have PC-ish GPUs. The only problem will be maximising the multi-core CPUs, but then again, they can just ignore the multi-core nature of the CPUs and still get games running fairly decently, which i think will be the case for most multi-platform games anyway.

remember that VF game for gamecube? turned out to be an adventure of some sorts. just to give you an example

Alstrong said:
I don't recall that at all! :oops:

Well, it was released for GCN & PS2 and it was called Virtua Quest. The reason you don't remember it is that it was a real stinker and not worthy of the Virtua Fighter series.

Alstrong said:
I don't recall that at all! :oops:
Nobody want to remember Virtua Quest.

Your mind might have selectively forget about it all. It happens to a lot of folks after grave traumatism.
And Virtua Quest was, indeed, a severe traumatism.

The only thing that was actually fun about the Virtua Fighter RPG (VQ codename) announce, was to read the posts from the Nintendo fans, angry to see the game, said to be GC exclusive, be ported to PS2 as well.
Of course, the only folks angered by this, in the end, were the ones who played the actual game.

It was a terrible game. Terrible.

It would have been amazing if this was a launch title, but I'll take VF anyway that I can get it!

Hopefully that 360 game that Hey69 is refering too isn't of VF Quest variety :???:

Apparently they're not PS3 screens, the PR included a number of screens, but some are saying they're arcade shots. They did the same thing with Virtua Tennis. There are others here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=10172

I'd expect little else but a perfect port, basically, and that's what Sega is promising. I wouldn't expect it to be any better than the arcade version though, either.

edit - also, here's the word from the horse's mouth, if anyone wants it:

http://www.sega-europe.com/en/NewsStory/1172.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back