Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Having played through AC before Uncharted, my immediate impressions of Drake's animations were very similar to yours. Particularly when it comes to jumping. Altair is just simply much smoother, much more seamless. I too was rather surprised to see how Drake's animations faired against Altair's.
That's a bit unfair though, because Altair's animations were very limited by comparison. You'd change from the one runnig animation to the one climbing animation, whereas Nate will mix his running up with lots of animations, adjusting his feet slightly, and so messing up the launch-point for any climbing animations. AC would be much smoother and seamless, because the animation system is so much tighter and constricted. What we end up with is a choice between perfectly smooth but somewhat robotic animations, or organic, realisitic, but prone to glitches animations. Personally I responded much better to Uncharted's system, but other people's mileage will vary, perhaps in good part to which game they played first and got a flavour for!

That's a bit unfair though, because Altair's animations were very limited by comparison.
Altair has 8000 motion capped animations... While drake has a lot of possible animations, how many "moves" do you think that Altair is lacking?

You'd change from the one runnig animation to the one climbing animation, whereas Nate will mix his running up with lots of animations, adjusting his feet slightly, and so messing up the launch-point for any climbing animations.
Altair has much more than just 1 running animation and 1 climbing animation, he has many many animations in between. He has lots of animations inbetween normal tasks that get run dependant on what you do, just like in drake. The difference being that Ubisoft motioncapped all "thinkable" moves that where needed, wheras drake tries to find a fitting animation in his library that can be combined with the current one.

The problem with nate is that he has to be at some predefined position for all his jumps to work, and since nate allmost never is right above that position he magically flies to some spot in order for the animations to kick off.

The organic result your talking about in the rest of your post, is more a case of you loving uncharted animation hype. There is nothing "organic" about mixing 50 animations when the actual movements are not based on physics, but upon scripting. Might aswell just run with motioncapture as that will give you a better result.

He is not moving more lifelike compared to Altair at all, while uncharted can mix around with several different animations at once, Altairs animations for everything thats happening are allready pretty motion capped perfect animations. I doubt that Uncharteds animations look better than Altairs more than on a few very rare occasions, whereas 99,9% of the time Altair will move seamlessly.

If uncharteds animations had physics in it, it would be much better, but right now the system is broken. there is no point in having animations being generated\mixed on the fly, when your not using phsyics but pre-scripted zones to make drake pull of his moves. The end result just insn't there. If it was physics based, hed try to jump the rock and maybe or maybe not he would make it, that would be more life-like and everything. But its not, he jumps, and he magically flies to the center and pulls himself up.

Try going up and down something a few times in uncharted, and you see how nate will magically fly to some "sweetspot" in the rock\whatever each time he climbs up, or down or whatever. Whats the point of being able to generate animations on the fly if there is only 1 way to climb everything?

Try jumping\climbing around in assasin, he never seems to be warped to the "sweetspot", the overall impression is that Altair seems to be moving very natural and true to life, whereas drake is being pushed around by the game to make things happening. Personally i think that uncharted system needs a lot more work for it to be better, because right now the pre-defined things in geometry and warping makes it look bad if you play assasins creed next to it.

Uncharteds system has a lot of things going for it, but it needs more work, and they need to get rid off all that warping and scripting.

But he's meant to trip over...that makes his animation look so great and realistic. He's an infallible hero. He's not a perfect spiderman who can climb towers at will.

He is not meant to be jittering and magically warping to the certain geometry points every time you try to climb something. Thats the point, Altair moves seamless and you have a very hard time spotting any form of warping between the jumps. Whereas nate is being warped to places every time he makes a jump or tries to climb something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Altair has 8000 motion capped animations...

Altair has much more than just 1 running animation and 1 climbing animation, he has many many animations in between. He has lots of animations inbetween normal tasks that get run dependant on what you do, just like in drake.

The problem with nate is that he has to be at some predefined position for all his jumps to work, and since nate allmost never is right above that position he magically flies to some spot in order for the animations to kick off.

The organic result your talking about in the rest of your post, is more a case of you loving uncharted animation hype. He is not moving more lifelike compared to Altair at all, while uncharted can mix around with several different animations at once, Altairs animations for everything thats happening are allready pretty motion capped perfect animations. I doubt that Uncharteds animations look better than Altairs more than on a few very rare occasions, whereas 99,9% of the time Altair will move seamlessly.

If uncharteds animations had physics in it, it would be much better, but right now the system is broken. there is no point in having animations being generated on the fly, when your not using phsyics but pre-scripted zones to make drake pull of his moves. The end result just insn't there.

Try going up and down something a few times in uncharted, and you see how nate will magically fly to some "sweetspot" in the rock\whatever each time he climbs up, or down or whatever. Whats the point of being able to generate animations on the fly if there is only 1 way to climb everything?

Try jumping\climbing around in assasin, he never seems to be warped to the "sweetspot", the overall impression is that Altair seems to be moving very natural and true to life, whereas drake is being pushed around by the game to make things happening. Personally i think that uncharted system needs a lot more work for it to be better, because right now the pre-defined things in geometry and warping makes it look bad if you play assasins creed next to it.

He is not meant to be jittering and magically warping to the certain geometry points every time you try to climb something. Thats the point, Altair moves seamless and you have a very hard time spotting flaws in the animations, whereas nate is being warped to places every time he makes a jump or tries to climb something.

Well you appear to be talking about glitches when running around over a rock...something that doesn't exist in AC. That's the only time I've experienced these glitchy warping that you're talking about. Generally though, the Uncharted animation looks more realistic and less robotic. And just to note, the glitcher game is AC by a long way.

Best way to prove your point is to make a video..showing more than trying to make Nate do some weird glitchy move by walking over uneven rocks.

Well you appear to be talking about glitches when running around over a rock...

You obviously dont read what i say at all.

Its not just running over a rock, im talking about when your climbing, when your jumping stuff, alot of the time, Drake is magically moved into place by unexplainable physics. Its not a glitch, this is the way the system is build, drake is pulled into place magically when he is doing a lot of things

And just to note, the glitcher game is AC by a long way.

I dont see your point. Im not talking about which game is more buggier im talking about the animations.

Best way to prove your point is to make a video..showing more than trying to make Nate do some weird glitchy move by walking over uneven rocks.

I dont have time to make a ****ing video, nor do i have the proper setup to even capture my PS3. You have the game, if you haven't noticed that drake magically flies into position everytime hes not properly centered when doing certain moves, your blind.

You did have a gif that showed this perfectly in this very thread, but for some reason you edited that post to only show 1 gif instead of the 2 others that also where there. (a long time ago ofc).

I dont really think my Samsung U700 phone has the framerate to capture this in a proper way, but il try something smart tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Altair has 8000 motion capped animations...
Looks like I underestimated the scope of Altair's animation!

Altair has much more than just 1 running animation and 1 climbing animatio, he has many many animations in between. He has lots of animations inbetween normal tasks that get run dependant on what you do, just like in drake.
If you run in a straight line down the street, is there a mix in the running animations, or is it a totally uniform run-cycle? From my memory, every time he brushed past a peasant, the response was exactly the same.

The organic result your talking about in the rest of your post, is more a case of you loving uncharted animation hype.
Yes, absolutely. There is no reasoning in my head beyond my love of people telling me Drake looks good :yep2: :p

There is nothing "organic" about mixing 50 animations when the actual movements are not based on physics, but upon scripting.
You're right in that technically there's nothing really 'organic' about it, but in look, it is 'organic'. Those little flinches and mis-steps are far more natural than the typical robotic run-cycle that graces most games. I might be very wrong about AC though having not seen too much of it, and none whatsoever post-Uncharted.

If uncharteds animations had physics in it, it would be much better, but right now the system is broken. there is no point in having animations being generated\mixed on the fly, when your not using phsyics but pre-scripted zones to make drake pull of his moves.
Again, there's two different aspects to the animation system. One is transitioning from large body positions which, as you say, doesn't work very well. The other aspect is blending little motions - ducks, grimaces, head-turns, arm-waves - that works without issue from what I've seen. These little motions break up the monotony of large ranges of movement, so a long run with Nathan feels more convincing.

Try going up and down something a few times in uncharted, and you see how nate will magically fly to some "sweetspot" in the rock\whatever each time he climbs up, or down or whatever...
Try jumping\climbing around in assasin, he never seems to be warped to the "sweetspot", the overall impression is that Altair seems to be moving very natural and true to life, whereas drake is being pushed around by the game to make things happening.
That's all true, but is only the macro-motion aspect, not the micro-motion blends of Nathan which is where I'm saying the model is made more organic.

Any news on the supposed rumour that uncharted 2 might be revealed in GC?

As for what Ostepop is saying, He is right.Whenever you try to jump down or jump up even, Drake moves to a specified point on its own for the next animation to continue.It is most visible while jumping down.
As for Micro level transitions, they are the best in uncharted as I don't see any other character reloading,ducking,wincing and running at the same time.His comical comments only add to the flow!But the transitions between two actions which change the complete body behaviour of Drake do produce jitters and warpings. I don't get bothered by it is my own prerogative, but they do exist.
Animation blend between different body parts is spot-on and top notch, but transitions between complete body animation change is not yet as smooth and perfect. Well, if Uncharted2's trailer does show up, then we might be able to chk out the next iteration of the tech ;) !

You obviously dont read what i say at all.

Its not just running over a rock, im talking about when your climbing, when your jumping stuff, alot of the time, Drake is magically moved into place by unexplainable physics. Its not a glitch, this is the way the system is build, drake is pulled into place magically when he is doing a lot of things

I dont see your point. Im not talking about which game is more buggier im talking about the animations.

I dont have time to make a ****ing video, nor do i have the proper setup to even capture my PS3. You have the game, if you haven't noticed that drake magically flies into position everytime hes not properly centered when doing certain moves, your blind.

You did have a gif that showed this perfectly in this very thread, but for some reason you edited that post to only show 1 gif instead of the 2 others that also where there. (a long time ago ofc).

I dont really think my Samsung U700 phone has the framerate to capture this in a proper way, but il try something smart tomorrow.

Well I'm sure you can search youtube for a gameplay video and point to exactly what you're talking about. I'm not blind, but owning both games...I've yet to see your point.

Nice comments on Altair's animation and Uncharted's shortfalls

A possible fix is to increase the basic animation library to match or exceed Altair's 8000. The blending system would have a richer library to tap on. The rest will depend on how and when the system blend individual animations. At this moment, I am not convinced it has to be entirely physics based (if that's what you meant). It could be just simple physics, plus script-based to suit the story.

One of the KZ2 AI programmers talked about AI-driven animation. He highlighted the importance of a rich base animation library. It's somewhere in the KZ2 thread.

Well I'm sure you can search youtube for a gameplay video and point to exactly what you're talking about. I'm not blind, but owning both games...I've yet to see your point.

Try playing the game and just try climbing up and down various spots from different angles, you will see drake getting pushed into the correct placement for his next animation to begin.. So say your trying to climb a rock, drake will fly until he hits the good spot on the rock and he will do the climbing animation, but the flying part makes it look bad, because drake can only do his animation in certain point on every rock\building whatever.

I've seen some videos of this game and, in my opinion, it looked gorgeous. But a friend of mine told me that textures are blurry when we look close. However, this is not the impression I got from the video. In fact, the textures of this game are among the best I've seen. Now I'm confused. Are textures in this game only good at distance? [I'm curious, but I don't have a PS3 yet]

Thank you

the textures are still good up close (some better than others). and you're right, Uncharted has some of the best textures in any game to date.

Uncharted's texture quality is awesome up-close, it's consistently awesome throughout the game. _Enigma you should get the game though it's an awesome game.
KlintIndifference.gif

textures dont come any better than in Uncharted, the character models also sport some of the highest poly count in a game. Do check that one out.

Yes, I'll try to play the game. I agree with you, it is very beautiful. Do you guys know the technical details? I did some google search and read somewhere that its textures are 2048x2048 with 8 layers. What does it mean?? :LOL: :oops:

Yes, I'll try to play the game. I agree with you, it is very beautiful. Do you guys know the technical details? I did some google search and read somewhere that its textures are 2048x2048 with 8 layers. What does it mean?? :LOL: :oops:
Layers likely means how many textures with different attributes they use for surfaces. (albedo, bump, specular strenght/shape/color, PRT/SH and so on..)

For general information about their tech, it is good to go to the source.
http://www.naughtydog.com/corporate/Press.html

BadTB25 said:
Definitley got to pick up this one! I will look for it this weekend if I get a chance.

For those that have played. Are there any incentives to replay the game once completed?

Can't say for you but I did. Second playthrough was to sight see and collect treasures. Now that Trophies are released, I supposed you could try to get the Platinum ones. I know some hardcore gamers enjoyed the Crushing level. Personally, I played through Normal twice.

Well, I played through normal twice and then halfway through hard. The reason fro stopping was that I got Ratchet & Clank ;), otherwise I would have finished my third playthrough too!
I found it a little difficult on hard for the first time, but it grew on me pretty fast. The reasons for the subsequent playthroughs are the same as Patsu's, mainly for sight seeing( I try to chk out every area) , collecting more treasures(chk out every area) and to try different strategies on the situations. Trophies are what set me off on my third playthrough though and some of the treasures I still hadn't found !

Back