Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

The fact that Uncharted is more cartooney makes the animations more on par with everything else in the game. Also variety is a huge factor that the game has going for it. What I found very bad though, was the sliding... When Nate would just drag himself on to the right place for the animation to begin...

As for the similarities with Tomb Raider... I found none, other than the fact they are both 3d person and that the environments are ancient ruins and the likes...

I don't expect that to be in Uncharted 2

The fact that Uncharted is more cartooney makes the animations more on par with everything else in the game. Also variety is a huge factor that the game has going for it. What I found very bad though, was the sliding... When Nate would just drag himself on to the right place for the animation to begin...

More cartoony compared to what ? AC and TR look cartoony for me too. ^_^

As for sliding, I didn't really notice it until Ostepop flagged it out. I did notice the pirates doing baseball slides on my own. :p

My attention was focused on the pirates. I am sure you can find good and bad details throughout the game (unsmooth animation [bad] and Nathan's expressions and amateurish reaction to flying bullets [good]).

It is up. Mine is Japanese too and it updated fine as of last Thursday. Maybe if you were playing with another region's disc something got screwed up. Try deleting the Uncharted game data off the disc. Not your save data but the game data and try launching.

Yeah, I'd done the game data too. Sigh. I'm gonna have to wait for my mate to finish his attempt at a platinum trophy before attempting it again.

Shame it's not like a FW update - where I could force it somehow.

Just finished on hard . I don`t know if I want to go through again on crushing...
I think I will just play the chapters seperately on easy or normal and get the other trophies and treasure.

Well I finally played thorugh crushing and got my Platin trophy. Some parts I feared to be frustating went surprisingly smooth , f.e the second battle in the church.
So I`m basically done with the game , bring on UC2.

More cartoony compared to what ? AC and TR look cartoony for me too. ^_^.

They both are :smile:
But Unchrted with its vivid colors and contrast goes IMO for a more cartoon look.
Assassins Creed on the other hand goes for a more realistic tone...

Damn the trophies !
I finished Uncharted on Hard last night and was happy as Trophy after Trophy was popping on my screen, but when I came out of the game I realised that my trophy count has not increased at all !!!!The game shows all the trophies I got, my save file says so too, but my Trophy collection still the same as before.

I had my PS3 replaced recently, and I had restored it with the backup I had made and when I connected to network again, my profile showed the correct trophy info. But, I guess, since the save file was from my previous ps3, it is not taking it into account any more :devilish: ! Is the save file linked to the ps3? Is it linked to the account?

I can't play the whole game again, but why is this happening? :(

( How will stay heads up infront of deepbrown's profile without my trophies)

It could simply be that your trophy collection hasn't updated yet. It takes a while before the show up in the XMB. You can also update them manually under Trophy Collection in the game menu of the XMB.

It could simply be that your trophy collection hasn't updated yet. It takes a while before the show up in the XMB. You can also update them manually under Trophy Collection in the game menu of the XMB.

This. You can force the update by comparing yours to any other user's.

Nothing is working ! :(

I had to reinstall the game in the new ps3 as I had deleted the game data from my previous ps3 to reduce backup size. After installation, it updated again, naturally, and I think it must have discarded all the save files previous to the update, though my previous save file is with trophy support.

Does this mean, if I delete gamedata of a game, which will happen one day, and One day I feel like playing the game again and I re-install it, I won't be able to continue trophies on that ?!?! :???: Thats bad !

Isn't the one giant robe in Assassin's Creed much easier to animate than the multi-piece clothing in Uncharted?

There is no difference between animating a person one piece of cloth wrapped around your entire body along with some other rags, than animating a person with several different clothing pieces.

If anything its actually harder to animate the giant robe, as it has to flow naturally in the wind when you jump, or when its, windy.. Wheras the clothes in uncharted only "have" to react to body movements, which the robe allso has to do..

As far as the actual animations of the character goes, clothing makes no difference, as the entire body needs to move naturally all the time to look natural. (no matter what clothes you have on). You can with a mask, not animate face, but thats really insignificant (without thinking about lipsyncing, but thats really not related to this)

He's talking about the necklace and gun harness. In particular, the necklace appeared floaty during some initial shots but was corrected later.

There was a tech interview on this. ND had to make sure these pieces don't "eat" into each other during the on-the-fly blending process. Because the animation is not "fixed", they also need to prop up Nathan's body during the blending (Some sort of muscle emulation was done).

There is no difference between animating a person one piece of cloth wrapped around your entire body along with some other rags, than animating a person with several different clothing pieces.

I'm not sold on this. I mean, the full robe can have prerendered animations while a body with multiple pieces has to blend them. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not sold on this. I mean, the full robe can have prerendered animations while a body with multiple pieces has to blend them. Maybe I'm missing something.

Depending on how the clothing moves, yes and no.

Uncharted blends textures to give the appearance of folds in the clothing, but I do not believe the clothing actually folds and animates.

The cloth, however, is more difficult to fake, so generally would require more animations etc.

Personally, I think animating one robe WELL would be a bit more difficult to do, compared to what's going on in Uncharted. However, I think Uncharted pulls everything off and is still more visually impressive than AC ever was with Altairs robe.

Great read, they've really got a handle on the hardware and still have the best tech available on it, but obviously the game could have used even more fleshing out in terms of gameplay variety. They were very focused on the way they approached the core shooter gameplay, the AI was exceptional, obviously they were pressed for time but still delivered. I can't wait to see UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif
in action next year, they are by far my favorite developer at Sony.
gladtomeetya.gif

I'm hoping having shown they can "do" real life, they abandon it (for a game at least) and return to Jak and Daxter. The Jak series were some of the best games I've played on PS2 and it would give them more freedom to do what they want in the game rather than "restricting" it to realism,

I'm hoping having shown they can "do" real life, they abandon it (for a game at least) and return to Jak and Daxter. The Jak series were some of the best games I've played on PS2 and it would give them more freedom to do what they want in the game rather than "restricting" it to realism,

They should continue with Uncharted and work on something other than Jak, especially with so much of the Jak storyline fleshed out already with FOUR GAMES, there's really nothing else interesting to tell in the Jak universe, not to mention Uncharted actually gives you a climbing mechanics which Jak lacked.
angry.gif

To prevent derailing the Uncharted 2 thread, I decided to continue Ranger's discussion here:

Just played the original Uncharted demo (new PS3) really didnt care for it. Controls..lets say I dont like them and they dont feel solid to me at all, difficult to aim. Enemies are bullet sponges..graphics are hit and miss, some impressive vistas but also marked flaws (jaggies, shimmering, tearing). Overall I did not find the graphics that impressive.

The enemies feel like bullet sponge because the demo is an early level. Your initial weapons stink, especially the pirates' AK47 (They are very cheap weapons). The pistol and shotgun are more effective. As you progress, you'll get better ones. I seldom use the AK because it's arguably the weakest weapon in the game. Sometimes it comes in handy because I need to spray fire (No time to take better aim). In comparison, it takes about 1-5 pistol shots to kill a pirate -- depending on where you hit them.

The controls are fine once you get used to it. I didn't have a problem with it.

As deepbrown mentioned, the visuals belong to an earlier build. Uncharted is a very good looking game. The water levels were very well done ! In general when you zoom in, the textures still look good (Not entirely sure what they did there). Texture streaming was in-place in the final game. The textures were also hand painted and layered to give different parts of the level more unique look.

I believe the textures next to water have wet effects too.

Back