Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

The enemies feel like bullet sponge because the demo is an early level. Your initial weapons stink, especially the pirates' AK47 (They are very cheap weapons). The pistol and shotgun are more effective. As you progress, you'll get better ones. I seldom use the AK because it's arguably the weakest weapon in the game. Sometimes it comes in handy because I need to spray fire (No time to take better aim). In comparison, it takes about 1-5 pistol shots to kill a pirate -- depending on where you hit them..

Huh, i found the AK47 just fine, certainly better than the rubbish pistol you start with.

:LOL: That's why I said "arguably the weakest". I hated the AK's recoil on top of the many bullets I needed to lay down a pirate.

I stuck with the pistol (and the rocket launcher or shotgun) until I get a M4 or the mercs' pistol. Can't remember the advanced pistol model now; no, it's not the Desert Eagle (Hard to find bullets).

Huh, i found the AK47 just fine, certainly better than the rubbish pistol you start with.

Really? that was easily the worst AK47 model I've used in a shooting game as far as I can recall. The sound, power and grouping were all impressively horrible.

Really? that was easily the worst AK47 model I've used in a shooting game as far as I can recall. The sound, power and grouping were all impressively horrible.

I pretty much only used it to shoot people in the head at long range with single shots, but i found it fine. I agree that sound and power was horrible, but if you aimed for the head and fired one and one round it was rather accurate, atleast more so than the pistol.

The pistol was insanely accurate, though, I'd use it to plug the laser-sight snipers at the end of the game, when I didn't have a sniper rifle of my own. I wasn't playing on super-duper hardcore, though.

As to weapon quality, I actually liked all of them, even the AK47 (I didn't notice much about the sound). Yeah, it had poor grouping, but I can live with that -- wasting ammo and sometimes being forced to leave cover to pick up your fallen enemies' guns made that combat that much more tense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ostepop, you used the AK in Uncharted to snipe ? Are you a Jedi ? :devilish:

In any case, I don't think the AKs are meant to be used that way. I might give your Jedi play style a try some day.

EDIT:
I think the other pistol is the 92FS?

No clue. ^_^

that is the case for absolutly all games existing.even if you past heavily tiled highfrequency noise NM into base diffuse.

Mostly. But even in that category there is a large difference between a 'crappy-more' and 'crappy-less' texture(s).

Well, Uncharted has some of the best, if not the best, texturing I've seen so far on next-gen consoles, so I don't really understand where you're coming from.

I'm sure the tune would be different if it was not exclusive. Regardless the screenshots minus the last one I posted kinda disagrees with you. And dont bother posting downscaled offscreen photos if you whant to neglect them.

Mostly. But even in that category there is a large difference between a 'crappy-more' and 'crappy-less' texture(s).

I'm sure the tune would be different if it was not exclusive. Regardless the screenshots minus the last one I posted kinda disagrees with you. And dont bother posting downscaled offscreen photos if you whant to neglect them.

You wouldnt put UDF in the top 10% of games texture wise? just out of interest what console games go you think have significantly better textures than uncharted? would just like to know what your point of comparison is.

Dont think it has anything to do with what console it is on and if its exclusive. It would look just as good on the 360 and would still be considered a great looking game.

Why do you have to bring in the exclusive point in? you nullify the whole discussion by bringing-in the fanboy factor !
I agree that it is a TPS and not an FPS, and the same textures might have looked bad had it been a FPS, but , really, even if "all of us" don't favour a console, which games would you say have better environment textures than Uncharted? Having played Uncharted three times, i can't think of any on a console..............
Pleasee don't mention fanboyism anymore, we have lost almost two years of forums due to the nonsense that it generated, let it die a ignored death now.

I'm happy to play the screenshot game Nebs.

I agree that it is a TPS and not an FPS, and the same textures might have looked bad had it been a FPS, but , really, even if "all of us" don't favour a console, which games would you say have better environment textures than Uncharted? Having played Uncharted three times, i can't think of any on a console..............

So you are even saying the textures are not the best then. Since you say "textures might have looked bad had it been a FPS". How can you claim it to be the best textures for a console game then?

There are several console FPS games with texture balance that are good. How innapropiate my 'exclusive' comment was it kinda glows right now.

As a TPS game I would put Mass Effect in a chair at the same table where Uncharted is texture wise and having large environments for example.

Pleasee don't mention fanboyism anymore, we have lost almost two years of forums due to the nonsense that it generated, let it die a ignored death now.

You lost me... it still going strong. admittedly we all have some fanboyism in us, but some have far to much *no figner pointing done*. This specific part goes OT anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to play the screenshot game Nebs.

Go ahead I already seen the game personally and there are screenshots that match it up 1:1. But anything besides a buffer grab or good capture card grab would really skew the "results" as they tend to have the texture in question 3m or more from the POV and offscreen at distance with TV sharpening feature on max.

I am sorry..what? How does that bring the "exclusivity" in? I was loosening up the argument a bit to accommodate your point of view by saying that the game has an advantage that the camera is a bit away than it would be in an FPS, but doesn't that increase the FOV of a player too. and are you saying the textures do not look highres in the way the game plays.

and my friend, MGS4 is on the ps3 too, "exclusive" too, has won "best graphics" awards too, but it has very low res textures in the environment while having the same view of the world. How does a game being an "exclusive" tilt the argument.

I personally think Mass Effect does not hold at all in front of Uncharted. Applying noise maps as normals doesn't make stuff high-res. But my experience of mass effect is on the PC and the "screenshots" of X360.

The "exclusive" argument we are having right now is exactly what I mean by "we have lost almost two years of forums due to the nonsense that it generated". For 2 years we have had mindless discussions regarding the "exclusives", undermining everything meaningful that could have been said or learnt.

Sorry for any harm this may have caused, coz I can sense a lot of "Stuff" coming after this :rolleyes:

I was loosening up the argument a bit to accommodate your point of view by saying that the game has an advantage that the camera is a bit away than it would be in an FPS, but doesn't that increase the FOV of a player too. and are you saying the textures do not look highres in the way the game plays

A 512x512, 256x256 or 1024x1024 texture is the same res whether in TPS or FPS mode, end. Being in TPS mode doesn't make the textures magically high-res, it just creates an illusion of it being. The illusion is broken when you get the game camera near the textures.

and my friend, MGS4 is on the ps3 too, "exclusive" too, has won "best graphics" awards too, but it has very low res textures in the environment while having the same view of the world. How does a game being an "exclusive" tilt the argument.

What does MGS4 have to do with this?

Who says MGS4 won the award based on textures?

Who is saying the textures in MGS4 are the 'best or 'never before seen' type?

I personally think Mass Effect does not hold at all in front of Uncharted. Applying noise maps as normals doesn't make stuff high-res. But my experience of mass effect is on the PC and the "screenshots" of X360.

It doesnt use noise maps to add detail patterns. You might be confusing the fullscreen grain filter with this.

Sorry for any harm this may have caused, coz I can sense a lot of "Stuff" coming after this :rolleyes:

Well we dont need to dwell more on the 'exclusive' part. But there is also no need at all for drama queen acts.

A 512x512, 256x256 or 1024x1024 texture is the same res whether in TPS or FPS mode, end. Being in TPS mode doesn't make the textures magically high-res, it just creates an illusion of it being. The illusion is broken when you get the game camera near the textures.

From what I gathered following this thread, this talk started in the Uncharted 2 thread when the latest screenshots showed some blurred textures. The point that was brought up, was that Uncharted 1 had some of the most impressive textures found in a console game to date and I'm not sure if there's any reason to disagree with this, regardless if it's a TPS or FPS game (U2 is not going to change that, mind you).

High res or not, the texture quality of Uncharted 1 is superb given the third-person-mode game it is. Even comparing it to other games of other genres, it matches up extremely well. Considering how much is going on with the lighting and the complex setting of the jungle, it's hard not to be impressed. Is there anything else to add to this really?

From what I gathered following this thread, this talk started in the Uncharted 2 thread when the latest screenshots showed some blurred textures. The point that was brought up, was that Uncharted 1 had some of the most impressive textures found in a console game to date and I'm not sure if there's any reason to disagree with this, regardless if it's a TPS or FPS game (U2 is not going to change that, mind you).

High res or not, the texture quality of Uncharted 1 is superb given the third-person-mode game it is. Even comparing it to other games of other genres, it matches up extremely well. Considering how much is going on with the lighting and the complex setting of the jungle, it's hard not to be impressed. Is there anything else to add to this really?

Thank you. THEREFORE, the quality of Uncharted DF's textures is very good evidence for U2's textures - and ND's goal to concentrate on the textures of everything, from characters to enviornment.

That is my only point.

Well, sorry for some of the stupid stuff in my earlier post. I had posted that from my office and looks like my stress level there poured out and showed :oops: ! reading it now makes me feel I said some meaningless stuff(seriously I dunno why I ranted about MGS4,sorry).
Back home now, and just wanna say Nebula I hold you in high regard over at the PC games forums and just forget that little , well what would you call it, "being too stressed" there !

Anyways, Fanwars are over for good and let them stay that way, and probably that was all I wanted to say there.

OK, back to UDC :) ! and those texture res some guys are stating, are those real numbers? Did we have 1K textures for Uncharted?

I just fired up Uncharted and played for a bit, cause I was curious to see how I'd feel about its visuals after investing about 25+ hours in Killzone 2 SP.
Certain elements dont seem as amazing as they did back in November of '07 ( textures, character animation), but the self shadowing and lighting is still very impressive.
In most situations, character shadows are quite smooth and sharp.
Come November, I fully expect Among Thieves to be the best looking shooter on the platform. (and quite possibly the best looking game on the platform)

Back