Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

There is still a lot of scripting behind Uncharted's AI. If you play the same part over and over again, you'll notice the same enemies will always try to flank you, while others will stay back and only move between a few spots of cover. The former is moving most of the time, while the latter will be more stationary.

I got another question about these trophies. A friend of mine has been playing Uncharted, and when he beat the game on hard, he got 3 medals for easy, normal and hard, but no trophies. He has been able to get trophies before and after that. So how is this possible? Do you need to be signed on to PSN to recieve trophies? And does he still get the trophies for easy, normal and hard if he beats the game on crushing, even though he already has the medals?

For those of you that didnt catch my little rant on the Podcast this week about Uncharted's anti-cheat Easter Egg, and are interested in playing (or replaying) the game--heads up! I figure it's my duty to warn my fellow gamers that there is a anti-cheat system in place that could lead to some serious frustration and head scratching for some of you. If you're not even slightly interested in Trophys, then feel free to move on, but for those that are, please read on.

Naughty Dog recently released a patch for Uncharted that supports Sony's new Trophy system--basically converting Naughty Dog's already included "Medal" system. It's important to note that the patch does not take in to account what you've done in the game pre-patch. If you've already beaten the game in the past, you will not suddenly get a bunch of Trophys unlocked once the patch is installed. Naughty Dog has stated that this was done to help prevent cheating (people sharing saves, etc.), but in this honorable attempt they've inadvertantly causes a headache for the honest.

If you create a new game (start over) and then save that game OVER one of your older saves (as in, pre-patch saves)--your game will suddenly be "tainted" and will have the Trophy system disabled without warning! No pop-ups exclaiming what has happened before or after this happens. Yes, the game plays fine, but for folks like me who have been looking forward to replaying the game and waiting for the Trophys to compliment that experience--this kind of sucks.

So you have two options here to prevent this from happening (until Naughty Dog patches this--which I doubt).

1) You can delete all your Uncharted save games once you patch the game up. Do this by going in to "Game Data" on the XMB. Then start the game up, start a new game and create a new save.

2) Or, once you've installed the patch, load up Uncharted and create a "New Game", but do not overwrite an old save game from pre-patch game play. This is improtant as it will automatically disable Trophys!

I found this out first hand, about 5 hours into the game (that's roughly 1/2 through the game).

To determine if the Trophys are still active and have not been disabled, simply go to the Options menu, Medals, and look in the lower left-hand corner. You should see a little Trophy icon. If it has a little "X" underneath it, that means that the Trophy's have been disabled because the game has determined that you're trying to pull a fast one.

Now that that's out of the way--I just want to say that I completed the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed the whole expereince--again! It's a slick, fun, popcorn-style game that really deliveres. It has it issues, but who cares! They're not glaring enough to bring up at this time. Besides, I kind of feel like everyone who's playing, or going to play this, knows what they're getting in to.

Hope this helps some of you out.

For those of you that didnt catch my little rant on the Podcast this week about Uncharted's anti-cheat Easter Egg, and are interested in playing (or replaying) the game--heads up! I figure it's my duty to warn my fellow gamers that there is a anti-cheat system in place that could lead to some serious frustration and head scratching for some of you. If you're not even slightly interested in Trophys, then feel free to move on, but for those that are, please read on.

Naughty Dog recently released a patch for Uncharted that supports Sony's new Trophy system--basically converting Naughty Dog's already included "Medal" system. It's important to note that the patch does not take in to account what you've done in the game pre-patch. If you've already beaten the game in the past, you will not suddenly get a bunch of Trophys unlocked once the patch is installed. Naughty Dog has stated that this was done to help prevent cheating (people sharing saves, etc.), but in this honorable attempt they've inadvertantly causes a headache for the honest.

If you create a new game (start over) and then save that game OVER one of your older saves (as in, pre-patch saves)--your game will suddenly be "tainted" and will have the Trophy system disabled without warning! No pop-ups exclaiming what has happened before or after this happens. Yes, the game plays fine, but for folks like me who have been looking forward to replaying the game and waiting for the Trophys to compliment that experience--this kind of sucks.

So you have two options here to prevent this from happening (until Naughty Dog patches this--which I doubt).

1) You can delete all your Uncharted save games once you patch the game up. Do this by going in to "Game Data" on the XMB. Then start the game up, start a new game and create a new save.

2) Or, once you've installed the patch, load up Uncharted and create a "New Game", but do not overwrite an old save game from pre-patch game play. This is improtant as it will automatically disable Trophys!

I found this out first hand, about 5 hours into the game (that's roughly 1/2 through the game).

To determine if the Trophys are still active and have not been disabled, simply go to the Options menu, Medals, and look in the lower left-hand corner. You should see a little Trophy icon. If it has a little "X" underneath it, that means that the Trophy's have been disabled because the game has determined that you're trying to pull a fast one.

Now that that's out of the way--I just want to say that I completed the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed the whole expereince--again! It's a slick, fun, popcorn-style game that really deliveres. It has it issues, but who cares! They're not glaring enough to bring up at this time. Besides, I kind of feel like everyone who's playing, or going to play this, knows what they're getting in to.

Hope this helps some of you out.

I'll do a compression to this... Do not save new game over old save files or trophies will be disabled.

Got the 100 headshots trophy :D ! Well, it just happened, i wasn't even aiming for it( I mean the trophy;) ) I had just got -off my jet-ski and was popping people when it appeared on the screen! Just saying this to spread the happiness :LOL: !

Well, I'm finally past where I got stuck the first time I played this (and then became a father) after having restarted the game for teh trophers. Two things spring to mind: 1. what an awesome, beautiful game. 2. I showed it off a bit to non-gaming visitors and they just wanted me to keep on playing, because they were so entertained and excited to know what would happen next. The only thing stopping them from watching was my wife deciding it was time for them to go at half past midnight.

So after starting playing Uncharted again because of trophies i noticed that the anmiation really is poor.

I remember how much hype Naughty Dogs multi layer animation system got, but the end result in Uncharted 1 is pretty bad. The framerate is to low and the constant jittering and warping of drake kinda takes away the immertion imo. The fact that Drake isn't able to walk properly on any ground thats not perfectly flat is sad.

They actually explained that they had it better before, but that this introduced a bit of lag in the response, that people didn't like. So they had to make some concessions for instant reactions from Drake to the controller.

However, the fact that drake does respond properly, and you can jump onto a ledge to your side directly, with the animation fluidly blending in turning and jumping, being able to shoot and run in all directions, etc., makes Uncharted's animation still stand out a lot.

Just wait - initially when I started playing the game again I also thought 'hmm, maybe the game has aged a bit already' but then as I got a little further into the game again that changed to 'omfg, this game is just so much better looking than anything else!'

Well, I'm finally past where I got stuck the first time I played this (and then became a father) after having restarted the game for teh trophers. Two things spring to mind: 1. what an awesome, beautiful game. 2. I showed it off a bit to non-gaming visitors and they just wanted me to keep on playing, because they were so entertained and excited to know what would happen next. The only thing stopping them from watching was my wife deciding it was time for them to go at half past midnight.

Same here :cool: ! Happens with me every time I play uncharted or Stalker.My roommate(whichever one happens to watch me) would keep prepping me to play some more, for him its as if he is watching a movie! The same thing also happened with the Ghille(Stalker like) level of COD4. I was just not allowed to put down the mouse until I had finished the level! LOL!

They actually explained that they had it better before, but that this introduced a bit of lag in the response, that people didn't like. So they had to make some concessions for instant reactions from Drake to the controller.

The constant warping and jittering is something i doubt they implemented on perpus, and more a result of the way they have build up the game, the animation themselves are pretty good, its just that drake has to be in predefined places to pull them off that ruins the system completely. The reason for this ofcourse being the fact that since you control Drake, hes allmost never in the right space.

However, the fact that drake does respond properly, and you can jump onto a ledge to your side directly, with the animation fluidly blending in turning and jumping, being able to shoot and run in all directions, etc., makes Uncharted's animation still stand out a lot.

While uncharted animations looks good sometimes, most of the times it just looks jittery and your warping all over the place.

If you have to jump something or climb something, unless Drake is in the exact position he should be, he will magically be warped into place for the animation to begin, looks terrible.

If the ground is uneven, drake is unable to run, and will jitter\warp between animations.

Its to the point where its imo suprisingly bad, aspecially looking at games like Assasins Creed where its very hard to notice and the freedom of movement is much bigger than drake.

That being said, the more i play this game the more i like it :)
Just hate the monsters part, but monster enemies + guns usually have that effect on me. Thankfully that part is short.

I think there's two different aspects to the animation system. Though what you say is in there and jarring at times such as jumping or stepping out over a cliff-edge, the other aspect is the variation in Nate's upper body when running or taking cover, which is very natural. I don't recall any issues with him ducking or reloading, and it did look very convincing and made the character more emotionally immersive I think. In that respect I think ND were right to trump up the animation system and its contribution to the experience. Hopefully they can greatly improve the adaption to large physical motions as well in future titles.

Well in certain aspects (just having played upto chapter 21) I think I'm just having a completely different experience from you :D Maybe it's a difference in play-style.

By the way, I hate that part you spoilered too. It's too stressful and that part also doesn't look that great anyway. I do like the idea though of the
monsters, enemies and you having a three-way battle.

Hmm i switched controllers and that seems to have solved drakes problem with walking over bumpy surfaces. Aparently one of my controllers left stick doesn't move as much "up" as it should or something, thus resulting in drake having severe problems with movement whenever the ground was slightly bumpy or more, with the other controler he manages to run around and not get bothered by every tiny bump.

Really made it much more enjoyable =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in certain aspects (just having played upto chapter 21) I think I'm just having a completely different experience from you :D Maybe it's a difference in play-style.

I think so too. I did see Drake sliding into a new position some times but not enough times to make it bother me.Most of the time I was just impressed by how He winces when bullets pass by and roll,reload and take cover smoothly, all in one go. I think you might be using very quick commands which might make him switch animations too fast causing warping and jerks. In my experience, I haven't seen warping more than once in all my playthroughs. I do see jerks when I press X to jump, there's a little jerk when he switches from walk to jump animation. I play games in a pretty relaxed manner, so, I am sure my control of Drake is pretty relaxed and slow during puzzles.Its only during a firefight that I concentrate on quick responses(specially in hard mode), so, my experience is bound to differ from yours.

Hmm i switched controllers and that seems to have solved drakes problem with walking over bumpy surfaces. Aparently one of my controllers left stick doesn't move as much "up" as it should or something, thus resulting in drake having severe problems with movement whenever the ground was slightly bumpy or more, with the other controler he manages to run around and not get bothered by every tiny bump.

Really made it much more enjoyable =)

Ah, that explains it. I thought you were harsh on Uncharted previously ;-)

Ah, that explains it. I thought you were harsh on Uncharted previously ;-)

I was getting frustrated that all of you where speaking so highly of uncharteds animations, when Drake moved like a cripple on acid whenever the road was bumpy\full of debris. Even my girlfriend commented upon it from across the living room last night.

With the new controller, overall impression is a lot better, sadly the jittering is still there, but as a whole its nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, to be fair, that's one flaw among the generally high quality work in the new engine. People will naturally rave about it.

The entire character system (e.g., character models detailed to the eyeball level, weight, expressions, and multi-layer animations) are consistent and organic from in-game to cinematics. It kinda weave the entire experience and story together. The devs were concerned that any small flaws would be made more noticeable in comparison.

Given more development time, I am sure we will see more improvements over the current system.

I was getting frustrated that all of you where speaking so highly of uncharteds animations, when Drake moved like a cripple on acid whenever the road was bumpy\full of debris. Even my girlfriend commented upon it from across the living room last night.

With the new controller, overall impression is a lot better, sadly the jittering is still there, but as a whole its nice.

Having played through AC before Uncharted, my immediate impressions of Drake's animations were very similar to yours. Particularly when it comes to jumping. Altair is just simply much smoother, much more seamless. I too was rather surprised to see how Drake's animations faired against Altair's. It was a bit jarring. Although I suspect that's more of an overall impression, including not just the animation, but the controls as well. Essentially, how the character "feels" when moving.

Also like you, the more I played the more I enjoyed it and eventually it stopped bothering me. :D And after my most recent play through (this is months after my initial impressions) for Trophy's I didn't even notice it.

Having played through AC before Uncharted, my immediate impressions of Drake's animations were very similar to yours. Particularly when it comes to jumping. Altair is just simply much smoother, much more seamless. I too was rather surprised to see how Drake's animations faired against Altair's. It was a bit jarring. Although I suspect that's more of an overall impression, including not just the animation, but the controls as well. Essentially, how the character "feels" when moving.

Also like you, the more I played the more I enjoyed it and eventually it stopped bothering me. :D And after my most recent play through (this is months after my initial impressions) for Trophy's I didn't even notice it.

But he's meant to trip over...that makes his animation look so great and realistic. He's an infallible hero. He's not a perfect spiderman who can climb towers at will.

Back