The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently I'm going mad or something, but the latest car select screenshots which Polyphony put out alongside the supersampled replays look to be upscaled to 1080p. A noticeable contrast to the car select images they put out just last week!

Exhibit A - E3 2007
GT-R Prototype:
http://photos.digitalrave.net/images/1730GT-R Proto \'05_CarSelect_E3_04_C.jpg

Exhibit B - PlayStation Premier 2007
GT-R Prototype:
http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5898/1316_0003.jpg

And yet, these are the kind of screenshots I would prefer to see.

Well those trees sure look dead ugly. I wont be seeing them during gameplay but I ll be seeing them in replays and I love GT's replays. I sure wouldnt want a 2D tree to ruin it for me.

The game looks and will look brilliant nevertheless though

There was a video of people driving special Audi demos at the Le Mans 24 hours event. The trees there looked absolutely fantastic. So I'm going to guess that they are placeholders.

(However, if I had to choose between better trees or more cars on track for online races, then definitely more cars.)

@Ostepop: the status of damange is still very much uncertain. The last on it is that race cars would get it, but regular cars wouldn't. Also, I don't think GT5 Prologue will have it, but the original idea was to maybe include it in a later update. But I think we should best consider it 'TBA'. ;) We'll see. So far though I really like what I see of GT5 Prologue! Indeed, all that remains to be announced now is how many tracks. Probably not too many, but we'll see.

Oh, and the animation of the drivers was already pretty much this good in GT4, but not that many people even noticed I guess. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The effect of the waving grass is already present in the GT: HD demo. You don't really notice t during gameplay, but you can see it in the replays.

Two words: Memory bottleneck.

There is a reason for why the cars in Gran Tursimo, allways looked great, and that reason is because the environments did not (compared to other racers). The same reason applies here, even for the allmighty PS3 with its Cell cpu.

I have to disagree on that. Some stages in GT looked highly detailed and easily comparable to other racing games

Those where the stages where you had two cars on screen instead of 6 or 8 or whatever it was.

You mean like the New York stage? Or the Hong Kong stage? Or the Opera Paris?

You didnt have much experience with GT, did you?

You mean like the New York stage? Or the Hong Kong stage? Or the Opera Paris?

You didnt have much experience with GT, did you?

Actually i got GT4 to about 80% before i called it quits.

I mean like the Italian stage, with only 2 cars racing eachother.

There is a reason for why the cars in Gran Tursimo, allways looked great, and that reason is because the environments did not (compared to other racers).

Actually, many environments in GT4 easily match or surpass the environments seen in other racers.

GT4 is the best looking and most technically impressive racer last-gen. GT5 won't be any different and can only be surpass by GT6

Actually i got GT4 to about 80% before i called it quits.

I mean like the Italian stage, with only 2 cars racing eachother.

I think it would have been a wee bit difficult on that stage with anything more.

As others have stated, GT4's environments are not lacking, especially when compared to other racers.

Actually, many environments in GT4 easily match or surpass the environments seen in other racers.

GT4 is the best looking and most technically impressive racer last-gen. GT5 won't be any different and can only be surpass by GT6

I disagree, project gotham 2 had much better lighting, textures, environments damage modelling, extremely detailed backgrounds, and a much nicer artistic direction; though that last point is subjective.

GT4 was ok, nice for a PS2 game, but in no way was it the nicest game last gen. Even PGR 1 had far more detailed environments and higher poly cars (Though polyphony have the best car paint shaders in the world, it is magic what they do)

(I also finished GT3 and GT4. I'm not a fan boy of any games company or publisher, this is just how I see it)

I disagree, project gotham 2 had much better lighting, textures, environments damage modelling, extremely detailed backgrounds, and a much nicer artistic direction; though that last point is subjective.

GT4 was ok, nice for a PS2 game, but in no way was it the nicest game last gen. Even PGR 1 had far more detailed environments and higher poly cars (Though polyphony have the best car paint shaders in the world, it is magic what they do)

(I also finished GT3 and GT4. I'm not a fan boy of any games company or publisher, this is just how I see it)

PGR2 looks nice, but, it isn't anywhere near as technically impressive as GT4. PGR2 looks way too fake and plastic like, the cars are wierd looking, the environment look lifeless and boring, plus, the lighting is nowhere near as realistic as GT4. And let not forget that PGR2 only run at 30fps, where GT4 is running at 60fps!. GT4 is just photo-realistic.

And not trying to be rude, but, please don't even talk about PGR1:LOL: :LOL: . GT4 FAR surpass it.

Some racers might looks better than GT4 in some area. But as the whole package, GT4 is the KING when it come to graphic, technical and realism. I haven't see any last-gen console racers looking as beautiful as GT4.

GT4 have..

-Photo-realistic looks
-most realistic looking cars models
-realistic physic
-highly detail environments
-60fps
etc...etc..

The list go on and on, GT4 just have the whole package. PD is a GENIUS!

^Just IMHO

PGR2 looks nice, but, it isn't anywhere near as technically impressive as GT4. PGR2 looks way too fake and plastic like, the cars are wierd looking, the environment look lifeless and boring, plus, the lighting is nowhere near as realistic as GT4. And let not forget that PGR2 only run at 30fps, where GT4 is running at 60fps!. GT4 is just photo-realistic.

And not trying to be rude, but, please don't even talk about PGR1:LOL: :LOL: . GT4 FAR surpass it.

Some racers might looks better than GT4 in some area. But as the whole package, GT4 is the KING when it come to graphic, technical and realism. I haven't see any last-gen console racers looking as beautiful as GT4.

GT4 have..

-Photo-realistic looks
-most realistic looking cars models
-realistic physic
-highly detail environments
-60fps
etc...etc..

The list go on and on, GT4 just have the whole package. PD is a GENIUS!

^Just IMHO

GT4 also doesn't have self shadowing, 3d wheels in gameplay, it environments simply aren't that detailed. They are low poly in many places, very sparse with blurry textures. Also the physics model is a pile of junk, but isn't what is being discussed.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good game, simply that it in actual reality it doesn't have the most advanced visuals (though the visuals it does have are very refined), the
best or even a good physics engine (just ask any sim fan).

I don't wanna turn this into a thread on the merits of GT4 and its place in the last gen of racers so this will be my last post. But you can't deny that gt4 is pretty much crippled by the PS2 hardware and it leaves other racers from other platforms to outshine it in a number of areas.

But you can't deny that gt4 is pretty much crippled by the PS2 hardware and it leaves other racers from other platforms to outshine it in a number of areas.
GT4 is most of the time BARELY using PS2 hw (believe me or not)
edit: CPU wise

GT4 also doesn't have self shadowing, 3d wheels in gameplay, it environments simply aren't that detailed. They are low poly in many places, very sparse with blurry textures. Also the physics model is a pile of junk, but isn't what is being discussed.

Many environments in GT4 are awesome looking, like the New York Stage, Hong Kong, Paris, Catital Aria, Gran Canyon, just to name a few. Poly count doesn't mean much, GT4 is able to have photo-realistic visual WITHOUT the high poly count:smile:

And oh, the wheels in GT4 ARE 3D during gameplay

Many environments in GT4 are awesome looking, like the New York Stage, Hong Kong, Paris, Catital Aria, Gran Canyon, just to name a few. Poly count doesn't mean much, GT4 is able to have photo-realistic visual WITHOUT the high poly count:smile:

Actually it means alot. GT4 looks great, because PD managed to make the most convincing lightning model last generation, imo. Technically, its not as good as you think, if you look at background textures etc, you do notice that the cars have had very high priority compared to the rest.

And oh, the wheels in GT4 ARE 3D during gameplay

He means the rim's on the wheels are 2d.

GT4 is most of the time BARELY using PS2 hw (believe me or not)
edit: CPU wise

Not surprising considering what Mintmaster has been repeteadly telling us about how physics in racing games barely stress the CPU. Hopefully on the PS3 this means the SPUs can aid in some rendering work for better graphics.

QFT, PGR2 really eclipsed GT4 technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back