The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of how observant people are, I don't get what the big deal is with the graphics. GT5 prologue looks like GT HD looks like GT4. Am I missing something?

i can see how you would think GT prologue looks similar to GT:HD, but GT4? common! i think you need to play GT4 again.

I have to agree, GT5 looks similar to GT:HD (with improvements) but GT4 looks far worse.

WTF IS THIS :mad: :mad:

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5895/1316_0017.jpg

Someone tell PD to sort those tree's out. Honestly, seeing that in a game of this quality and hardware like PS3's and they are still using 2D tree's? wtf?????? dissapointed.

2D trees is something of the past and they should use 3D trees with optimized lod. Of course they are running 1080p at 60fps and that may limit them but I believe they can add some simple yet good looking 3D trees. :smile:

WTF IS THIS :mad: :mad:

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/5895/1316_0017.jpg

Someone tell PD to sort those tree's out. Honestly, seeing that in a game of this quality and hardware like PS3's and they are still using 2D tree's? wtf?????? dissapointed.

If this game was called "The Real Tree Simulator" I'd agree with you. But it's not.

The focus of this game is not to blow your mind by saying "my oh my, those tree's are pretty".

Most of this game, you'll be driving along at speeds in excess of 50mph. You won't have time to notice tree's. It's about racing, driving, and cars. Not about trees.

Maybe you need to go play Oblivion.

If this game was called "The Real Tree Simulator" I'd agree with you. But it's not.

The focus of this game is not to blow your mind by saying "my oh my, those tree's are pretty".

Most of this game, you'll be driving along at speeds in excess of 50mph. You won't have time to notice tree's. It's about racing, driving, and cars. Not about trees.

Well, maybe they shouldn't spend so much effort on developing replay/photomodes then.
I guess that industry should have stopped at the Atari2600 too..

Why should i play oblivion? In this generation theres NO NEED at all to have trees like that, they look like there straight from GT4 on PS2. Graphics come as a package, tree's a part of that package and so far they are very sub-standard. Id sooner they take 3-4 cars off the track and use there polygon budget on proper 3D trees so that the enviroment looks every bit as mind blowing as the car models. Heck id sooner they stick with 6 cars on track and spend the saved polygons on the enviroment and other things that contribute to the games apperance.

Well those trees sure look dead ugly. I wont be seeing them during gameplay but I ll be seeing them in replays and I love GT's replays. I sure wouldnt want a 2D tree to ruin it for me.

The game looks and will look brilliant nevertheless though

Well those trees sure look dead ugly. I wont be seeing them during gameplay but I ll be seeing them in replays and I love GT's replays. I sure wouldnt want a 2D tree to ruin it for me.

The game looks and will look brilliant nevertheless

Fingers crossed there just place holders :smile:

I hope so too.

Check the trailer btw.

Looks so real. The in car view is marvelous. Self shadowing inside the car is incredible.

But what I find highly unique in GT's in car view is the realistic motion animation of the driver. It is so natural. In other racing games the driver moves like a robot and shifts his moves too suddenly. They also never change their hand placement on the wheel. You will see the driver shift his hands while he turns the wheel more than 180 degrees realistically in this trailer. The driver also seems to be affected by the g-forces. Amazing :oops:
This is what I call attention to detail

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/857/857126/vids_1.html

16 cars?!

Knock it down to 12 and use the saving on the environments. Would it have much of an impact?

I think 12 cars is enough.

how about great environments AND 16 cars?
theres still lots of time for them to polish the game... its not coming out until sometime in 2008.

how about great environments AND 16 cars?
theres still lots of time for them to polish the game... its not coming out until sometime in 2008.

Two words: Memory bottleneck.

There is a reason for why the cars in Gran Tursimo, allways looked great, and that reason is because the environments did not (compared to other racers). The same reason applies here, even for the allmighty PS3 with its Cell cpu.

i can see how you would think GT prologue looks similar to GT:HD, but GT4? common! i think you need to play GT4 again.
Oh, I agree GT HD looks better than GT4, but it always seemed like a half-step to what next-gen GT should be. It does have sharper textures, renders in higher resolution, and there's HDR(or at least something like it). However despite all that it still looks a lot like GT4 with its sparse trackside detail, comparatively unimpressive textures, and the lighting is flat when you compare it to PGR4 for example.

The most impressive elements of the GT5 trailer looked like they were from replay mode, but aren't indicative of the race visuals. I dunno, this is as underwhelming as Halo 3 was before E3.

I was just reading this quote over @ ign:

The only question is cost. The game's pricing is listed as "TBA," which suggests that it might not end up being the free download that everyone was hoping for following last year's big demo gift.

:LOL: uhh, excuse me? I dont know what these guys are high on, but...FREE?

I've read the game is(?) based on microtransactions, still, you have to pay upfront for the game itself because theres guaranteed content on it.

I doubt the PD guys would bust their arse to making Prologue if it was just meant to be given away for free. Or would they? :oops:

Memory bottleneck? What do they store per car? geometry is cheap.. any ideas?

Well, each car in PGR3 was about 3.2 Mb big. Now, GT5 cars are more detailed and all that, lets say they are 4mb big. Isn't GT5 supposed to have damage? That means atleast 3-4 different damage models for each part of the car, this needs to be loaded in RAM at all times, otherwise damaging your car would look funny (you'd crash and a split second after the crash, the damage actually happend).

So lets say 12mb per car. 16 cars at the same time, means 192 mb of memory just for the cars.

This is of course assuming that GT5 has damage (which im sure Arwin could tell me if has been confirmed or not, i remember reading something about it) and that they don't have a purely physics based damage engine (deforming car models on the fly, seems like quite a bit of work)

Ofcourse im sure, your now going to tell me that im all wrong and that you could do damage models with some easy solution and thats the end of it ;)

I was just reading this quote over @ ign:

:LOL: uhh, excuse me? I dont know what these guys are high on, but...FREE?

I've read the game is(?) based on microtransactions, still, you have to pay upfront for the game itself because theres guaranteed content on it.

I doubt the PD guys would bust their arse to making Prologue if it was just meant to be given away for free. Or would they? :oops:

You never know, sony might pay PD to release it for free ;)

If there would be enough content, that would make me run out and buy a PS3 right away, instead of waiting to buy it when gT5 comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back