The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never understood how ping can report figures below 10 mS on operating systems where any given thread has a maximum timeslice of 10 mS. This at least was the case with Windows NT and I assume the later derivatives.

Anyway, I guess my nice, fat PS4 speculation is debunked then.

I'm starting to be of the camp where I'm wondering what the point of this really is, lol. Just give us more GT5 already. ;) Though yes, the quality of the car models does make this game more suitable for this than anything else probably, though the same can be said for the completely scripted nature of the game and the lack of anything exciting going on in terms of physics. Don't get me wrong, I love the handling of GT5 Prologue almost more than any other game ever, but in terms of being impressive, Motorstorm 2 has totally taken that crown for me.

Mind you I'm not saying that that GT5 should be like Motorstorm 2, but in terms of the above presentation, I would be an aweful lot more excited if they did something that shows Motorstorm 2 in a 4x higher resolution. But obviously that would also be an aweful lot harder - right now the MS2 devs don't even know how to make a replay, considering all the random physics that's going on. It's a shame. Maybe the youtube style feature as we have in Eden would be more feasible eventually, though I can imagine it would be hard considering how hard MS2 seems to be pushing the system.

I googled a bit about realtime ethernet systems. This paper cites 1ms processing time for each tcp/ip frame(for common controller).

GT5 prologue use case could do much better. The network is closed, only 4 machines, most likely no packet collisions -> all data could be shared via UDP etc. And they could optimize all the transfers for low lag instead of high streaming speed. They could always choose proper router that is fast too and not rely on the cheapest crap. So I don't see that 4ms as a problem. Especially as all the bandwidth consuming data goes to hdmi not network.

edit. If ping is to be believed I see 1ms roundtrip time for 32kB packets and 2ms roundtrip ime for 64kB packets. and this is in huge network not optimized for 4 playstations :)

Seems like the latency could be well below 4 mS even running over the virtualized NIC: http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lawnspdf/lawn185.pdf

Look at page 8, figure 3, around 200 microseconds in end-to-end latency running MPI in the PS3 cluster.

Well I guess that is the final nail in the coffin for my speculation then.

Physics calculation might be a problem as the next frame needs the previous frames state to be calculated. Though I think there could be smart/latency introducing solutions here. It also might be the case that physics run so fast(or are downgraded) that they can be calculated 240times a second. Transferring physics data over ethernet shouldn't be a big problem, there cannot be *that* much data attached to each cars simulation.

Physics simulations anyway are usually run several times more than the framerate is to get stable results. Perhaps these extra "invisible" physics iterations can be used in this 240fps mode making 240fps mode virtually free on computation point of view. Usual physics might run something like 2-4 times the framerate that is rendered on display

Forza 2 physics ran with 360 updates per second, i bet GT5 also has a similarly high number, so shouldn't be a problem.

This is just brilliant. It's the sort of bat-shit insane stuff that only tech-obsessed lunatics like Polyphony Digital would ever attempt. I just love the notion that deep inside their Japanese lair, they've got staff trying out stuff like this.

Maybe they should build an SLI link into PlayStation 4! In a world where people buy multiples of $400 graphics cards, why not entire consoles? (aside from the massive loss they'd make on each console!)

Wow, that's serious amount of physics iterations for each rendered frame.

It's about 25cm per physics update if a car is travelling at 200mph.

Grand Prix Legends (1998) is 288Hz, F1 2001 had an option for 400Hz. There's not much beyond that (diminishing returns), it's better to improve the physics calculations running per update than simply increase the simulation rate once you reach that ballpark.

I can already see a strategy forming...

...Sony to launch GT5 as a counter-attack to the launch of the new next-gen Xbox year 2011...

:devilish:

I can already see a strategy forming...

...Sony to launch GT5 as a counter-attack to the launch of the new next-gen Xbox year 2011...

:devilish:

Well if Sony wait the next xbox for launched GT5… you probably don't see GT5 on PS3, but on PS4 around 2012…;)
Not a good strategy for them, they need "killer app" quickly if they want to have better chances to stay in the run for this generation. Or, may be they decide to cut this generation like MS did with the xbox.

I more thinking that they wait for FM3 release date…

There have already been two iterations of GT on the PS3, GT HD and GT Prologue.
No matter they were demos not complete games they have been advertised.
I think Sony wants to launch GT5 when the PS3 price will be lower so impact of the game will be maximised. GT fans not price sensitive have already bought the system along with GT HD/Prologue.

It makes sense for Sony to launch the game late but with a cheaper system.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here all this time I thought it would launch, when Yamauchi says it will launch, and actually launches it, because he has it like that, after creating a 20+ million seller franchise. :p

And here all this time I thought it would launch, when Yamauchi says it will launch, and actually launches it, because he has it like that, after creating a 20+ million seller franchise. :p

Your downplaying the franchise, GT3 and GT4 alone sold over 30 million copies.

As a franchise its sold over 50 million copies

I'm not sure that after the delayathon that was GT4 this would be considered acceptable by Yamauchi or Sony or whomever. This is partly why GT5 Prologue exists. If necessary, they will probably either roll out more features to GT5 Prologue, or release GT5 and roll out more features through DLC.

Your downplaying the franchise, GT3 and GT4 alone sold over 30 million copies.

As a franchise its sold over 50 million copies

Wow... I need to update my stats. :D

I'm not sure that after the delayathon that was GT4 this would be considered acceptable by Yamauchi or Sony or whomever. This is partly why GT5 Prologue exists. If necessary, they will probably either roll out more features to GT5 Prologue, or release GT5 and roll out more features through DLC.

I don't know, If Ostepop's numbers are correct, the sales alone would seem to more than make up for the numerous delays of GT4. Perhaps even proving the delays were worth it. I do agree about Prologue though. Although, I could only see them pushing GT5 out, with the thought of DLCed features to complete it, if they were really pushed by SCE to get it out the door. But with Prologue there (and updateable), and the success of past titles, I really don't see that happening.

Oh my numbers should be correct, GT1 was the most successful PS1 title, GT2 was the 2nd or 3rd most sucessfull title.

GT3 and GT4 where both just beaten by GTA:SA. (I think GT4 got beaten by Vice city aswell. both those GTA titles sold over 10 million anyway)

Oh my numbers should be correct

They are. There was a Press Release about it early this year.

GT: 10.85m (PS rank: 1)
GT2: 9.37m (PS rank: 3)
GT3: 14.89m (PS2 rank: 1)
GT4: 10.06m (PS2 rank: 3)
GTC: 1.56m (PS2 rank: ?)
GT4P: 1.36m (PS2 rank: ?)
GT5P: 2.23m (PS3 rank: 4)

Total 50.32m

They are. There was a Press Release about it early this year.

GT: 10.85m (PS rank: 1)
GT2: 9.37m (PS rank: 3)
GT3: 14.89m (PS2 rank: 1)
GT4: 10.06m (PS2 rank: 3)
GTC: 1.56m (PS2 rank: ?)
GT4P: 1.36m (PS2 rank: ?)
GT5P: 2.23m (PS3 rank: 4)

Total 50.32m

Concept and Prologue each sold over a million? lol! We're a gullible bunch, aren't we? :p :LOL:

I wonder what Prologue's digital to retail split was? Along with Warhawks, for that matter. When you give consumers the choice, what do they choose? A different discussion for a different thread, though.

Oh my numbers should be correct, GT1 was the most successful PS1 title, GT2 was the 2nd or 3rd most sucessfull title.

GT3 and GT4 where both just beaten by GTA:SA. (I think GT4 got beaten by Vice city aswell. both those GTA titles sold over 10 million anyway)

Are the GTA sales you are using on the PS2 only or multiplatform sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back