The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that.

The 22 participants were selected from 25,000 enthusiasts. If the show prize is more racing in the real world (instead of prize money), you'd think that only those who truly want to race would apply. Any more info on this ?

I would do ANYTHING to participate in a real race. ANYTHING! I wouldnt care about money. Real racing in Dubai?

God! I am so envious!

The thrill. The adrenaline!

On Oct, 16 there was a 10th anniversary event for GT in NY, Downshift Session 2008, produced by Staple Design and Polyphony Digital.
http://www.stapledesign.com/downshift08/

PD has uploaded an event report and apparently it had a couple of interesting demos using PS3, or multiple PS3 units.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/sp/d2774.html

The demo No. 1 is a time trial with GT5P, rendered in the 4K resolution (3840×2160) using 4 PS3 units. The output device is a Sony 4K digital cinema projector SRX-S110 and a 220-inch screen.

illustration1.jpg

nws12264791009112741.jpg

nws12264791009581987.jpg

The demo No. 2 also used 4 PS3 units, but this time to render 240 frames per second. The output device is a 19-inch nano-Spindt FED monitor developed by Sony and Field Emission Technologies that is capable to show 240fps video.

illustration2.jpg

Impressive :D!

But who counts the pixels now? :p;)

Wondering if those PS3 consoles were rendering four 1280 x 1080p anamorphic ingame images (horizontally scaled to 1920 x 1080p) like it's done in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue or if they were rendering four full 1920 x 1080p ingame images.

If they were rendering 1280 x 1080p ingame images, than the native resolution of the big image would 'only' be 2560 x 2160p (horizontally scaled to 3840 x 2160p) rather than native 3840 x 2160p.

But, still, impressive :D.

Maybe they switched off 2 x AA to gain real 1920 x 1080p ingame rendering instead of anamorphic 1280 x 1080p. Who knows.

Wondering further, if you could connect two PS3 consoles for example and get the full 1920 x 1080p image quality that is used in the replays from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. But for ingame this time, not only for replays. And with 60fps instead of 30fps. Or something similar to improve the quality of the graphics :D.

Do some of you know how they realised the connection between four PS3 consoles to let all of them render one big image or more frames per second?

Forza Motorsport 2 for Xbox 360 is cappable of doing something similar:

http://forzamotorsport.net/news/drivingtuning/triplescreen.htm

Wondering if Polyphony Digital will make such a feature available for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue or Gran Turismo 5, too. But this time for rendering more frames or a bigger image like they showed off on this even or whatever :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me want this

edit: what Forza2 did with three screens isnt anything new. You could do it with GT3 too

Me want this

edit: what Forza2 did with three screens isnt anything new. You could do it with GT3 too

Yeah, you could already do six screens with GT3 - 3 for the front, two for the sides, and one for the rear. I think the same with Forza 2?

Polyphony Digital also presented two technological trials for the next generation at this event. Both of the presentations, were founded on the philosophy of “achieving the highest possible quality” held over the years by Gran Turismo.

One of these, was a time trial competition using Sony’s newest digital cinema projector, the “SRX-S110”. Gran Turismo 5 prologue is already in Full HD resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels, providing the highest resolution possible in today’s TV content. However in this time trial, the Full HD image was increased to twice the resolution both vertically and horizontally (4x the surface area), enabling game play at an ultra high resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. This was performed by connecting and synchronizing four Playstation 3’s outputting a quarter of the image each at 1920x1080 pixels, but you must remember this demands an extremely high quality image from the source that can withstand the ultra high resolution. It can be said that this demonstration was only made possible, because the source image was Gran Turismo.

What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1) projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of breathtaking image expression introduced here.
The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.
[ http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html ] ...

But they also had 240 Hz mode running, so it is a linear scaling of performance. Seems a few people have missed one's colourful posts ;)

They should share their method with other dev, so we can get games that's 1080p and 60Hz using multiple PS3s.

Actually come to think of it, this is SRX-S110 that's doing the job isn't ? Polyphony just need to tweak the viewport so the four picture match up. If I am not wrong the SRX can merge 4 images into one large image that is seen on that demo. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I like what I am hearing on the 240 Hz demo. It would make a nice PC gaming monitor.

But they also had 240 Hz mode running, so it is a linear scaling of performance. Seems a few people have missed one's colourful posts ;)
Hi all, first post for me, but I've been reading the forums for quite some time.

Can one really do linear scaling at 240 Hz over virtualized NICs, with the latency involved and all? I think 3 of the boxes are not doing anything and the fourth contains a new Cell configuration. Could this new configuration and the associated GPU be a PS4 prototype?

Hi all, first post for me, but I've been reading the forums for quite some time.

Can one really do linear scaling at 240 Hz over virtualized NICs, with the latency involved and all? I think 3 of the boxes are not doing anything and the fourth contains a new Cell configuration. Could this new configuration and the associated GPU be a PS4 prototype?

Ah conspiracy theories are awseome, and no there isn't anything stopping you from doing what they are doing hell they did something similar in GT:4 where you could have different views on different screens with multiple ps2's.

I don't really care about the multiple viewports, it's the rendering at 240 Hz that is the interesting fact.

240 Hz would roughly be 1 full frame rendered and synchronized over gigabit ethernet in 4 mS. Perhaps someone could tell us if this is really possible?

Shouldn't be too difficult as all the boxes have identical hardware and data sets. Also the data sets and engine is build to handle stable 60fps 1080p resolution.

Only information on super resolution case that needs to be shared is user input and displaying/merging of the images which is kind of small potatoes assuming 1GB ethernet on lan to distribute user input and hdmi connection to dispay images.

There is around 16.7ms of time to share the user input and display/merge the previous image on super resolution case and 4.2ms on the case of 240fps. Latency(on lan) shouldn't be a problem and I assume the images are outputted via hdmi and displayed/merged on the projector. Though moving the images as jpeg to single ps3 and displaying/merging there wouldn't be a problem from network bandwidth point of view either. Memory and hdmi bandwidth on the other hand would be problem on super resolution case(for 240fps memory is not a problem but hdmi bandwidth is, single hdmi link supports only 1080p60).

Physics calculation might be a problem as the next frame needs the previous frames state to be calculated. Though I think there could be smart/latency introducing solutions here. It also might be the case that physics run so fast(or are downgraded) that they can be calculated 240times a second. Transferring physics data over ethernet shouldn't be a big problem, there cannot be *that* much data attached to each cars simulation.

Physics simulations anyway are usually run several times more than the framerate is to get stable results. Perhaps these extra "invisible" physics iterations can be used in this 240fps mode making 240fps mode virtually free on computation point of view. Usual physics might run something like 2-4 times the framerate that is rendered on display

I guess we're posting almost simultaneously :) .

Ok, I was under the impression that 4 mS was really below the latency of an ethernet-connection (especially after reading a paper about the high latency of the virtualized NIC in the PS3), but I really pulled that one from the top of my head.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing up that at least the rendering should be possible then.

I guess we're posting almost simultaneously :) .

Ok, I was under the impression that 4 mS was really below the latency of an ethernet-connection (especially after reading a paper about the high latency of the virtualized NIC in the PS3), but I really pulled that one from the top of my head.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing up that at least the rendering should be possible then.

I googled a bit about realtime ethernet systems. This paper cites 1ms processing time for each tcp/ip frame(for common controller).

GT5 prologue use case could do much better. The network is closed, only 4 machines, most likely no packet collisions -> all data could be shared via UDP etc. And they could optimize all the transfers for low lag instead of high streaming speed. They could always choose proper router that is fast too and not rely on the cheapest crap. So I don't see that 4ms as a problem. Especially as all the bandwidth consuming data goes to hdmi not network.

edit. If ping is to be believed I see 1ms roundtrip time for 32kB packets and 2ms roundtrip ime for 64kB packets. and this is in huge network not optimized for 4 playstations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back