Sunset Overdrive: From Insomniac Games [XO]

The only Sony games on non sony platforms are from SOE and those are mmorpgs. I can't go and buy the last of us for my tablet or pc.

Neither will MS give you the full game on your tablet, but just a companion app. Thats what Insomniac wants to do too and is equally possible on the Sony side. Insomniac, Bungie, Ubisoft , practically everyone wants you to have some form of interactive app on your phone and tablet, so that you don't leave the game ever and so that the game can be seen on every device and can spread to more people.

Neither will MS give you the full game on your tablet, but just a companion app. Thats what Insomniac wants to do too and is equally possible on the Sony side. Insomniac, Bungie, Ubisoft , practically everyone wants you to have some form of interactive app on your phone and tablet, so that you don't leave the game ever and so that the game can be seen on every device and can spread to more people.

But Microsoft does give you the full game on Tablets. Just not on iPhone or Android tablets. Anything that runs on PC will run on a tablet just fine. Which means that a Microsoft published game that runs on PC will even run on Sony Tablets, assuming they are running Windows x86/x64.

Sony doesn't give you that option. It will run on Playstation and...Playstation. :p Granted, Microsoft limited some of the X360 exclusives to just the X360, but they seem to be allowing most if not all of the Xbox One exclusives to also launch on PC. Will be interesting to see if they allow their core IP, Halo, to get a PC launch again (Halo, Halo 2).

Regards,
SB

But Microsoft does give you the full game on Tablets. Just not on iPhone or Android tablets. Anything that runs on PC will run on a tablet just fine. Which means that a Microsoft published game that runs on PC will even run on Sony Tablets, assuming they are running Windows x86/x64.

Sony doesn't give you that option. It will run on Playstation and...Playstation. :p Granted, Microsoft limited some of the X360 exclusives to just the X360, but they seem to be allowing most if not all of the Xbox One exclusives to also launch on PC. Will be interesting to see if they allow their core IP, Halo, to get a PC launch again (Halo, Halo 2).

Regards,
SB
So you're saying windows 8 tablets will run your next gen console and PC games. I doubt it. It also means that there are essentially no XBO exclusives if you go this route, and god knows what you'd have to sacrifice to get the games running on tablet specs.

So you're saying windows 8 tablets will run your next gen console and PC games. I doubt it. It also means that there are essentially no XBO exclusives if you go this route, and god knows what you'd have to sacrifice to get the games running on tablet specs.

Depends on the game. And you'll likely have to turn down some of the effects, or maybe not as you could likely run them just fine at 720p or possibly even lower.

There's already a gaming centric tablet using power hungry parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-RZ09-00...8&qid=1372462592&sr=8-1&keywords=razor+tablet

The situation should improve in the future as Intel and AMD get more serious about low power computing. Haswell ULT already improves battery life between 35-60% over IVB ULT during idle as well as during load at similar performance. Combined with machines featuring Haswell ULT allowing for a larger battery while still maintaining the same form factor and weight as IVB ULT machines means that battery life is often more than doubled for the same form factor and weight. And that's only the first step.

AMD in a year or two could likely offer an SOC for mobile devices that is not only more powerful but uses less power than what is in the PS4/Xbox One which could power a gaming tablet.

Regards,
SB

@SB: all stuidos are going for a companion app route for tablets. I don't see Watch Dogs, destiny or titanfall playBle on tablets. But they will all have companion apps. With WD and BF4, you have a mode thats playable on the tablet but not without others playing the main game on consoles/PC. Both Sony and MS are on level ground regarding the possibility for that to happen.

Regards,
SB

Frankly, that was the reason a 360 never made it into my home. Practically all games were available on my pc too. I even reached a store with money once to buy a 360, but came back with a copy of Bioshock and Gears 1 for my PC instead.Except for Halo Reach, there was nothing that I missed a lot.

I tihnk having exclusive titles and then companion apps is a better route than losing exclusivity completely. Buthten, thats another topic.

@SB: all stuidos are going for a companion app route for tablets. I don't see Watch Dogs, destiny or titanfall playBle on tablets. But they will all have companion apps. With WD and BF4, you have a mode thats playable on the tablet but not without others playing the main game on consoles/PC. Both Sony and MS are on level ground regarding the possibility for that to happen.

All 3 of those will be playable (natively) on a tablet assuming you have a tablet capable of playing them. A Clovertrail tablet? Probably not. A Haswell ULT tablet with a dedicated GPU? Probably.

No need for companion app. Now if we're talking about PS4 exclusives then yes, the only way you'll be able to do it is via streaming or whatever is allowed in the companion app. For Xbox One exclusives, it'll depend on whether there's a PC version available or not. If not, then it's the same as PS4. If there is (Project Spark, Titanfall, etc.) then you'll be able to play them natively on a tablet if you wished.

Regards,
SB

, but I don't think MS would like to say we don't have any exclusives at all. For exclusives, both offer the same value and similar ecosystem to the developer. Be it a ps4 or an Xone exclusives, they will only have companion apps on tablets.

, but I don't think MS would like to say we don't have any exclusives at all. For exclusives, both offer the same value and similar ecosystem to the developer. Be it a ps4 or an Xone exclusives, they will only have companion apps on tablets.

Even if every single Xbox One exclusive was available on PC it would still be an exclusive.

While there are a few people that have a console AND a gaming capable PC the vast majority of consumers don't. PC's aren't really a competitor to consoles for the vast majority of people buying a console in the first place. Other consoles are the real competition who can potentially reduce sales of your console.

Something like that was more true when Microsoft originally launched the Xbox and a large majority of Xbox owners were disgruntled PC gamers that were fed up with the cost and potential complexities of PC gaming.

X360 Microsoft were probably expecting much of their userbase to still be disgruntled PC gamers moving to a more affordable and trouble free console. I think it probably surprised them that they got as many Playstation converts as they did.

Xbox One, I don't think Microsoft envisions losing many gamers to PC whereas losing them to Playstation 4 is a very real concern. Likewise, if someone is still gaming on PC they aren't likely to be buying a console just for the exclusives.

Hence, there's no real incentive for Microsoft to try to prevent exclusives from hitting PC anymore. It's not a threat to Xbox One in the way the PS4 is.

In fact, with the perceived threat of non-Windows tablets and smartphones, Microsoft is actually in a position where they would want to put exclusives on PC as well in order to boost sales of the Windows platform. Side benefit is that development between console and PC is now so similar that it's almost all pure bonus revenue and profit without giving a boost to your main competitor (other consoles).

Hell, one of the few reasons I'd have for buying a console would be to encourage the console manufacturer that takes the time to release games on PC. I've thought about buying an Xbox One just for that sole purpose. To reward the console maker who actually thinks about more than just their console.

Regards,
SB

If a console game ships on PC it's not exclusive. Aside from you, I don't think anyone buys consoles to support PC gaming. It would be a futile exercise if they did. Microsoft are savy enough to know that Forza and Halo are system sellers for Xbox, and of the four Gears games only the first was ported.

There's also nothing stopping a developer from going "console exclusive" with PS4 and shipping a PC version, so I don't see the supposed advantage Microsoft presents here. Blacklight: Retribution is console exclusive to PS4, receives funding from the Sony Pub Fund, and is also on PC.

Even if every single Xbox One exclusive was available on PC it would still be an exclusive.

Likewise, if someone is still gaming on PC they aren't likely to be buying a console just for the exclusives.

Hell, one of the few reasons I'd have for buying a console would be to encourage the console manufacturer that takes the time to release games on PC. I've thought about buying an Xbox One just for that sole purpose. To reward the console maker who actually thinks about more than just their console.

Regards,
SB

1.No. Anythings thats also on PC is not a console exclusive.

2. Why? I was a PC gamer all along and th eonly reason for me to buy the consoles was for their exclusives. I bought a PS2 for its exclusives, I bought the PS3 for its exclusives and almost bought a 360 but instead bought the games on PC, as they weren't exclusive to that console. Now, I am pretty much a console gamer, but I still play games I get cheap from Steam sales, Humble Bundle on PC. If the consoles offer me nothing special, I will just upgrade my PC.

3. So, you want to support devs that work on multiple platforms. Good ! Then buy their games, why spend on a XBOne console for that ? If you want to support MS for making their titles available on PC, then you should buy those games on PC to support PC development, buying their console will make them focus on the console development. Your logic is weird ! Anyways, you are going to be majorly dissappointed as MS will try and keep quite a lot of games exclusive to the XBOne.

Yeah, agree! How can someone come to the conclusion that a game releasing on two systems is exclusive to one of them???

Best thing: a PC and X1 release means that there is a very high chance the PC version supports gamepads perfectly...

As for Sunset Overdrive, Ted Price specifically mentioned that the technology MS presented to them was the motivation to go exclusive, as this was exactly what they wanted for their game. He already gave hints that they want to instantly adapt to user feedback and change the world accordingly.

I hope it doesn't take to long until we see actual gameplay!

1.No. Anythings thats also on PC is not a console exclusive.

2. Why? I was a PC gamer all along and th eonly reason for me to buy the consoles was for their exclusives. I bought a PS2 for its exclusives, I bought the PS3 for its exclusives and almost bought a 360 but instead bought the games on PC, as they weren't exclusive to that console. Now, I am pretty much a console gamer, but I still play games I get cheap from Steam sales, Humble Bundle on PC. If the consoles offer me nothing special, I will just upgrade my PC.

3. So, you want to support devs that work on multiple platforms. Good ! Then buy their games, why spend on a XBOne console for that ? If you want to support MS for making their titles available on PC, then you should buy those games on PC to support PC development, buying their console will make them focus on the console development. Your logic is weird ! Anyways, you are going to be majorly dissappointed as MS will try and keep quite a lot of games exclusive to the XBOne.

In which case you're one of the very very very very small minority of players that not only owns a gaming capable PC but buys the majority of your games on PC as well.

That, however, isn't at all relevant to the vast majority of console owners who only have a choice between Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo for a gaming machine.

Likewise the vast majority of PC gamers don't own a console.

Hence, a title that is on only one console as well as PC is still an exclusive in the console space because the number of people that seriously game on PC as well as seriously game on console is likely in the very low single digit percent.

In other words, having an exclusive on PC isn't going to impact console sales in any significant way.

Regards,
SB

In which case you're one of the very very very very small minority of players that not only owns a gaming capable PC but buys the majority of your games on PC as well.

That, however, isn't at all relevant to the vast majority of console owners who only have a choice between Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo for a gaming machine.

Hence, a title that is on only one console as well as PC is still an exclusive in the console space because the number of people that seriously game on PC as well as seriously game on console is likely in the very low single digit percent.

In other words, having an exclusive on PC isn't going to impact console sales in any significant way.

Regards,
SB

But impact on sales has no relation to the game appearing on two distinct platforms. The word exclusive means that the game will appear on a single platform only. It's not implied, it's an absolute. If, say, titanfall is published on the pc as well as the xb1 then it's a multiplatform game not an exclusive. It is disegenuous to claim otherwise!

I don't see why developing a game for PS4 limits you to console + vita. It seems that a lot of games on both consoles are going to have companion apps on smartphones and tablets.

Sony owns the Ratchet IP so there's almost no chance of that happening.

I'm a huge fan of Insomniac games so I hope the game does well, but I don't see myself buying XBO anytime soon. I'd love a PS4 version at some point in the future.
Sigh. Well... I just hope then that Insomniac releases a Ratchet and Clank-esque game once again, whether it is exclusive.

They might want to reconsider something like that in the future. I rather prefer that than a game with a Gollum-like character. :eek:

Regards,
SB

Heh ! If that was the case we wouldn't see publishers delaying the release of the pc version of games. I am not a minority, people play on pc too. And frankly, medium range PCs are very capable nowadays. My PC is 5 years old but still can play every console port out there. My neice's pc has on board grpahics and an i3 processor. She enjoys her Batman Arkham asylum pretty well on it.

But she is one of the biggest fans of Uncharted and she has to borrow my ps3 for it. An exclusive makes you buy a console even if u have a PC for games.

Your decision to support XBone because its games are also on PC still doesn't hold, though. If you want PC versions of maximum games, buy PC versions and support the platform.

The start of the gen is different than the end of an 8 year old cycle.

I doubt there will be many people out there with the hardware to run xbox one designed games at the same settings as the one at launch. I'm sure as the years go on more and more will have systems tat powerfull but it will be a slower climb.

The start of the gen is different than the end of an 8 year old cycle.

I doubt there will be many people out there with the hardware to run xbox one designed games at the same settings as the one at launch. I'm sure as the years go on more and more will have systems tat powerfull but it will be a slower climb.

I bought this PC about 6 months after my ps3 purchase. Its still holding up fine, with Alan Wake running maxed out on it, same for Crysis 2. I don't even have a particularly high end PC, I have a HD 4850.

The unified 8 Gb will definitely rejig the PC side too, as PC gfx cards don't usually have access to more than 1 gb of Vram. Yes, things will change and we will again reach a a point where a particular PC hardware will be able to sustain the next whole gen. I was just replyin to his logic of PC gamers don't buy consoles for exclusives. of course we do.

ALan wake does not run maxed out on a hd 4850. NO where even close

aw%20vh%201920.png

aw%20sli%201920.png

That test should be done at 540p resolution 4xMSAA as that's its settings on 360.

Back