Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

You know what's funny/sad is now that Sony doesn't support 4K Bluray movies is that some parents at Christmas are going to get confused that it doesn't have no Blu-ray drive at all & will pass it over.

Tommy McClain

Lack of UHD Blu-ray and HDR upgrade for original PS4 are surprising. Everything else was as expected. Anyone planning on trading in their existing PS4s for this or ???

Well UHD players are around 299 so you just get an Xbox One S if you want the player easy peasy. :) PS4Pro at the same price as the original PS4 seems like a pretty decent play and if you got UHD included for an extra 75 or 100 dollars would that make it a better deal for the vast majority of consumers ??

Dedicated UHD BR players cost more.

But they only launched within the past year so next wave should be lower in price.

Maybe Sony left it off to play nice with other AV cos.

There's no way I'll ever watch another BluRay movie. I'm just very surprised Sony, of all companies, isn't supporting UHD BluRay. I guess that shows what the future of the format is going to be.

As for the pricing. If PS5 is a clean-break generation, then PS4 Pro users are getting ripped off. If PS5 and PS4 Pro co-exist, then it's the best deal. The Pro is priced to kill PS4. It seems like they want people buying Pro as much as possible.

At least one longtime Playstation supporter was not happy with the PS meeting...was pretty shocked at the harshness of this tweet on my timeline coming from him (reality pales on Neogaf)

MY7CafP.png

Ouch. Is the conference being received that poorly in general? I haven't read that much Neogaf.
Are those supposed community leader paid? I mean there was no surprised but I don't see how Sony in a better or worst spot now than before the show. Or he is just a drama queen in brat/whining generation?

There's no way I'll ever watch another BluRay movie. I'm just very surprised Sony, of all companies, isn't supporting UHD BluRay. I guess that shows what the future of the format is going to be.

As for the pricing. If PS5 is a clean-break generation, then PS4 Pro users are getting ripped off. If PS5 and PS4 Pro co-exist, then it's the best deal. The Pro is priced to kill PS4. It seems like they want people buying Pro as much as possible.

Not really. $400 to play the latest games at 1080p+ for probably the next 4 years is not a rip off...

Not really. $400 to play the latest games at 1080p+ for probably the next 4 years is not a rip off...

If it lasts 4 years, that might not be so bad. If it lasts three years and then there's a clean break, I think it's a shitty price.

Edit: If it overlaps with PS5 and lasts about six years, then it's an amazing price.

Amazon US? What's the expected delivery date on your order?
No from amazon.ca, they say expected november 10, and guaranteed delivered launch day.

Amazon US still show a placeholder date, but they accept preorders.

Interestingly, it's only 499 CAD which is beating the horrible exchange rate right now.

Lack of UHD Blu-ray and HDR upgrade for original PS4 are surprising. Everything else was as expected. Anyone planning on trading in their existing PS4s for this or ???
I'm gonna wait for the first price drop and/or slim PS4 Pro. I'll keep my launch PS4 for now.

No from amazon.ca, they say expected november 10, and guaranteed delivered launch day.

Amazon US still show a placeholder date, but they accept preorders.

Interestingly, it's only 499 CAD which is beating the horrible exchange rate right now.

Yeah $499 CAD is actually not that bad.

Dedicated UHD BR players cost more.

But they only launched within the past year so next wave should be lower in price.

Maybe Sony left it off to play nice with other AV cos.

I saw this Philips player ... https://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDP7501-Blu-Ray-Player-Blu-ray/dp/B01HBYUYSU/ref=sr_1_7?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1473288410&sr=1-7&refinements=p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin:13686538011

... but that is one player on Amazon so I wouldn't doubt the average price is significantly more.

Well whatever gets them under $400 is what was going to happen I bet. Some mix of cost and playing well with others as well as selling their own brand of high margin kit. Whatever the machinations it is a good price for what you get and even if you got an OG PS4 you still get some sort of HDR and that optical audio out. Keeping the fans who bought the ps4 as happy as possible with all of this going on is worth looking a bit foolish WRT to the UHD drive.

I was expecting at least a $150 dollar premium to kind of ease the minds of early adopters that they still had a deal but something like this works as well I think.

Back