Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

Really, who needs optical for audio? If you could connect the PS4 with component or s-video I'd understand, but as HDMI carries sound also, the optical out is just totally redundant.
Only if you'd connect the PS4 direct to a projector and need to route audio to an older receiver that has no hdmi, then I see the need, but that's a rare case.

Really, who needs optical for audio? If you could connect the PS4 with component or s-video I'd understand, but as HDMI carries sound also, the optical out is just totally redundant.
Only if you'd connect the PS4 direct to a projector and need to route audio to an older receiver that has no hdmi, then I see the need, but that's a rare case.

you need it for surround headphones and surround speakers if you don't use expensive TV (expensive TV have HDMI ARC and able to pass-through anything)

I think that Sony was too kind not to further kill MSFT XB1S announcement (I mean more than they did them cf project Scorpio).

Man that thing is terrible ugly. WTF Sony. They have a history of really ugly, cheap looking Slim's. Remember the PS3 slim-thingy? The last low budget one?

Not that XBO slim is any great looker IMO (it's just a box) but at least it's not worse than original XBO (or wouldn't be if it was black).

They could hurt MS by clocking the GPU at ~900 mhz. That would put it over 2TF and almost double OG XBO. And more importantly, create the greatest percentage delta since the beginning (since XBO always had a GPU clock advantage 853>800 before, this would be the first time no XBO model did). All of these things seem a little less relevant with Scorpio looming anyway, but still.

They should be able to price it 299 comfortably I assume? Otherwise what's the point.

This could be why their ship numbers seemed out of whack to sales last quarter. Maybe they were already shipping a bunch of these. I speculated at the time a price cut or something might be in the works.

Last edited:
I disagree. PS1 slim was dinky. Not stylish, but not ugly. PS2 slim was cute and highly desirable. PS3 slim was ugly. PS4 slim is functional and in keeping with many CE entertainment devices (simple black TV boxes). I don't think it can be more stylish without being more expensive, which defeats the point!

As for pricing, where does this put PS3? PS3 is ~$250, right? Is that going to get a price drop, or be suddenly axed?

Man that thing is terrible ugly. WTF Sony. They have a history of really ugly, cheap looking Slim's. Remember the PS3 slim-thingy? The last low budget one?

Not that XBO slim is any great looker IMO (it's just a box) but at least it's not worse than original XBO (or wouldn't be if it was black).

They could hurt MS by clocking the GPU at ~900 mhz. That would put it over 2TF and almost double OG XBO. And more importantly, create the greatest percentage delta since the beginning (since XBO always had a GPU clock advantage 853>800 before, this would be the first time no XBO model did). All of these things seem a little less relevant with Scorpio looming anyway, but still.

They should be able to price it 299 comfortably I assume? Otherwise what's the point.
I think they'll price it 249.

They won't overclock it. PS4 doesn't need to compensate because of an inferiority complex. ;)

I bet PS4 Slim is cheaper to produce than PS3 (with hdd). It seems they do not produce PS3 with hdd for a long time already. 12Gb one is 199.

If you're talking about the 3 new design wins for AMD... I think it does line up. I'm almost sure AMD isn't factoring in shrinks of previous SOCs (PS4/XB1) as "new" design wins. The older SOCs were bound to get smaller just by the nature of better / more efficient manufacturing capabilities. I believe these new design wins are specifically new SOCs for NEO, Scorpio, and possibly an unannounced portable gaming device.

Factoring in the shrinks (older SOCs) as new designs would make AMD statements puzzling.
Yup that's the one. I just went back to read it I thought the article was specific that it would be all in 2016 but is has "and beyond" after that. I guess I read it too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Still has the fan bump on the right side.

Fan is probably a similar size, because the case width didn't change and the bump is there to maximize the fan diameter.

From that video the overall footprint of the console's size doesn't look that much smaller to me. It looks slimmer yeah but not as much of a reduction I was hoping.

This photo shows what appears to be a panel on the back -
http://www.huewire.com/wp-content/u...l-Matte-Finish-and-No-Optical-Out-300x302.jpg

HDD access?

There was a also a picture of one side (think left side) with a panel as well. I suspect the HDD cradle is on the side, like it has always
been (incl. {PS3).

My suspicion is that we get a "slim" and "Neo" version using one and the same housing using the same 14nm FinFET SoC... or maybe
the Neo has so much extra heat that the housing is a few cm higher to make room for better cooling.

The slim has a lower clocked CPU, downclocked GDDR5 and disabled CUs/ROPs.

I'm still "praying" that they found a few extra pins on this SoCs to have a real SATA3 interface instead of this lousy USB => SATA bridge
so you can have the benefits of a real SSD or hybrid HDD.

I'm leaning towards upgrading to the 2016-model of the PS4 if on a 1080p TV it has real benefits like better framerates (30-60 fps instead of sub-par 30 fps for some games) and improved PSVR support. Can't wait for the Sep 7 announcements.

Back