Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

That must be real, the attention to detail is just too much to be a fake.
See those three X, triangle and O on the bottom, they're everso slightly higher than the rest of the symbols, so that the unit would stand on these three and not wobble when placed on a surface.
There doesn't seem to external psu, which is nice.

Side by side to an OG Ps4

CqaI7pOWAAACIqm.jpg

That white PS4 is a beauty :love: hope they make the Neo something nice to look at instead of utilitarian and unobtrusive like the slim :/

PS4 Slim is nicely timed for PSVR. At the right price point, a VR bundle needn't be too pricey. Maybe $650 for a complete solution? Probably more with a markup for early VR pioneers. That'd compare very favourable with PC alternatives - basically the only entry level 'real' VR solution solution for most. Could be an amazing holiday for Sony. Neo, PSVR and Slim, covering something for everyone (if Neo comes out then).

PS4 Slim is nicely timed for PSVR. At the right price point, a VR bundle needn't be too pricey. Maybe $650 for a complete solution? Probably more with a markup for early VR pioneers. That'd compare very favourable with PC alternatives - basically the only entry level 'real' VR solution solution for most. Could be an amazing holiday for Sony. Neo, PSVR and Slim, covering something for everyone (if Neo comes out then).
Seems like AMD comments don't appear to be lining up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it looks great! It has same black matt plastic as regular black PS4s, although comparing it directly with white PS4 [which has a bit of gloss on it] in a dark environment makes the PS4 Slim look a bit more "rugged".

They did not risk much with this design. The customers will most likely only care that it plays PS4 games for a cheap price. Hopefully we will get more info soon.

Last edited:
There's a lot of interesting design choices to be seen from the few photo's that have been linked in this thread.

The motherboard has been moved to the bottom of the case rather than being at the top.

Rear ventilation has been severely restricted. But ventilation slots have been added to the right and left sides of the device (front/back right and rear left as you're facing it). Overall there's far less ventilation in the slim. Can't wait to see the teardown to see how they've routed their airflow in the device. I'm going to guess that the back right vents are for air intake (it's above the HDD cage) while the back left is where the PSU exhausts it's air. So the front right is likely where the CPU cooler is exhausting its air. What remains of the rear vents are possibly air intake as well. All guesswork, and I question it at the moment. As what I just stated doesn't make for very direct airflow for the CPU cooler. Maybe there's a few vents at the front left side of the device? The picture is pretty dark in that area.

Meh, doesn't make sense at the moment. Can't wait to see the teardown to see how they've designed the airflow. But looking at it, unless they've greatly reduced the power consumption of the device, then I can't help but think that the slim is going to potentially be noticeably louder than the PS4 fat. Man I wish that guy had demanded photos of the inside of the device as well. :D That's far more interesting than the external features. :)

Looks like the HDD cage has been relocated from the left front to the left rear of the device. And likely aligned to pull out from the side of the device to allow it to be positioned directly behind the optical drive.

Regards,
SB

Yay! It's real!

My guesses...

Motherboard on the bottom, they claimed some space removing airflow under the board, which means GDDR5 must be on the the same side as the soc now (so all pointing up). No need for the previous embossed shielding allowing any flow on that side anymore, making it slimmer just by that side.

Board might be clearing the ODD this time.

If thet kept the very sparse power supply components, it allows low flow because it can have a high outlet temperature.

I have a thing for high static pressure, low flow designs. It's efficient. Means compact and very tight fins heat sink.

Fan intakes must still be the entire left and right sides, in addition to the front side this time. Laminar flow would still cool the top side, bottom heat will convect toward the top.

Outlet still have to be on the back. The inset increases the effective area, at least compensates the structural separators. High static presure makes this a non issue.

Bottom and back vent will be hot, people will once again jump to conclusion using a FLIR gun without understanding shit.

The fan will probably have changed to be mostly single sided inlet instead of simultaneous top and bottom. But overall flow would be less anyway if it's 14nm. Wild guess is +3 to +6db from single inlet air speed, -6 to -12db from lower rpm and lower tip velocity turbulence.

.. It's possible everything I said is random bulshit. Or everything is correct and well thought out.

GDDR5 is already only on the SoC side, MrFox. The CUH-1200 has just 8 1GB/8Gb chips. One thing I'm wondering about is cooling and whether heat pipes are in there given how slim it is (~35mm high vs PS4 53mm?)

Oh...My bad. Not sure why I forgot the RAM chips were still on the back! Be interesting to see the motherboard layout and cooling system as it really does look laptop thin now.

Seems like AMD comments don't appear to be lining up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're talking about the 3 new design wins for AMD... I think it does line up. I'm almost sure AMD isn't factoring in shrinks of previous SOCs (PS4/XB1) as "new" design wins. The older SOCs were bound to get smaller just by the nature of better / more efficient manufacturing capabilities. I believe these new design wins are specifically new SOCs for NEO, Scorpio, and possibly an unannounced portable gaming device.

Factoring in the shrinks (older SOCs) as new designs would make AMD statements puzzling.

Back