SCE confirm 80GB PS3 in Japan (Oct. 30) has 65nm RSX

Finally managed to get my PS3 sorted out after a nightmare earlier this week. I initially couldn't connect to the PS3 wireless so decided to update the (router) firmware. Unfortunately, the upgrade failed and bricked my router! Took me about 10 hours pissing around to sort out and then it became apparent that the reason I couldn't initially connect by WiFi was due to poor support of WPA2 by either Sony or the router! Aaargh!

Anyway, on the the hardware. The PS3 package I eventually got was the 80GB Movie bundle including "300". The outer box was marked CECHL03 but this was just a shell around an internal box which is marked CECHM03.

I haven't had time to check anything but idle power consumption so far but, according to my el cheapo power meter, it idles at around 107W. I'll update this post with figures for load once I've found the time to do something which gives the system a bit more of a workout!

I have a 80gb CECHL01 and I opened it up and can confirm it does have the new 65nm rsx in it. along with redesigned heatsinks that i have not seen before. I took some pictures of the motherboard,heatsinks, and rsx chip. they are not very good quality (old 4mp camera) but you can still see it pretty well. I don't know how to post pictures, but if anyone wants to see them or post them for me you can message me.

No that I didn't do. I didn't even think about it when I had it apart. I just compared it to other pictures I have seen of the old 90nm chip. There is a difference in the size compared to the 90nm chip though Its probably 25-30% smaller just estimating. I took my ps3 apart because it was wanted to see if it actually did have the 65nm rsx chip and I'm pretty sure it does. So I'm happy with it now. Also are the heatsinks a new style, I have not seen them in any of the other ps3's I have owned.

Thaks for the pics! Nice that someone made the sacrifice for the greater good. So the heatsinks were two separate pieces in this one? I thought all previous designs were large dual-chip covers.

Back