PS3 Cell, RSX, SDK, OS, Linux INFO

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by DieH@rd, Sep 26, 2006.

1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Coppied from neogaf thread :)

original japanese articles:
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0922/kaigai302.htm
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0926/kaigai303.htm
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0926/kaigai304.htm
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0926/kaigai305.htm

And a traslation by Doctor_No
    Comments?

2. babcat

Regular

The important thing to discover is you can run any application on the Linux OS. For example, could I go out and purchase a Linux based OS with a full graphical user interface and run it on my PS3? And if so, would it utilize the power of SPEs and not simply the PPE which is relatively weak compared to the SPEs? That is the important issue.

3. pcostabel

Newcomer

The Linux stuff will work exactly as with the PS2: a special PS3 distribution with no BD access. You will be able to recompile any apps that are open source. Of course no other distribution will work if is not ported specifically to PS3.

4. patsu

Legend

I hope for tighter integration between XMB and Linux.

I'm also interested to find out how Cure@Home works. Apparently, it can run while PS3 is idle. So there should be some sort of OS mechanism to schedule idle tasks too.

Thanks to DieH@rd for the OP.

5. SPM

SPM
    Regular

It will be different from PS2 because of the SPE reserved for DRM. Sony can allow Linux access to the BD drive without blowing the box open if they want. They may restrict the number of SPEs or reduce graphics rendering speed or something like that to discourage development of high end games running on Linux, although the fact that Linux will take up a lot of the available RAM will discourage this anyway.

6. PSman

Banned

Very interesting, especially on the RSX and Xenos part.

I think it is safe to say that RSX=Xenos, both GPU have their own advantage and disadvantage:smile:

7. joebloggs

Newcomer

Yeh they both have their advantages.

RSX has more shader power.
    Xenos has the EDRAM for bandwidth.

8. SPM

SPM
    Regular

Xenon/Xenos also has memory bandwidth issues.

Cell and RSX have separate 128 bit busses to XDR system RAM and GDR, hence not contention between RSX accessing GDR and Cell accessing XDR, and a little more than double the total bandwidth.

However Xbos360 has a 128 bit bus to the unified 512MB system RAM and both Xenon and Xenos have to contend access it.

How much of a bandwidth is this for both Xenon and Xenos?

9. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

and here is final part of translation:

and:

So, ps3 OS will be stored to flash memory... I wonder how big it is?

10. SPM

SPM
    Regular

The image actually shows Linux on the HDD http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/0926/kaigai303.htm
    - and a good thing too since flash memory is very slow compared to HDD for reads (and even slower for writes).

The PS3 OS they are talking about is the PS3 hypervisor, DRM and menuing system.

11. Angelcurio

Regular

So, the OS wont be using part of the main ram anymore?

12. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

You're confusing something...

physical storage != RAM use

13. KOA

KOA
    Newcomer

Where does it say RSX has more shader power??? It does say that X360 devs are having a hard time getting shader performance currently, but that it will change once they get more familiar with USA.

14. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

And I reckon the same goes for the bandwidth - except that 360 developers seem to have as much trouble getting much out of the EDRAM as the PS3 coders have getting used to making good use of the XDR/Cell bandwidth. Maybe more, we'll see today!

15. KOA

KOA
    Newcomer

Both consoles seem to be on an equal footing on paper. It's too close to call at this point. At this point, specs sheets are useless. We have to look at the games. After TGS it's Sony 1 Microsoft 0 (although Blue Dragon and Lost Odessey look better than some PS3 games at the show), but PS3 games have that "LOOK" that has less to do with technical stuff and more to do with the developers. PS3 developers know how to add that "next gen filter" while X360 devs outside of Capcom and Epic just add more polygons and textures and have that plastic look.

But, I don't want to make a fool out of myself before X06, so I'll just shut up about how "bad" X360 games look in comparison to polished PS3 stuff.

16. Bobbler

Bobbler Shazbot!
    Veteran

I'm not quite sure I really understand that argument... isn't the whole point of unified shading to alleviate any issues with having to match a specified ratio of VS/PS? There shouldn't be any inherent issues with trying to max out a unified architecture, it does that itself -- that's the whole point of it, it has an inherent flexibility so developers could throw whatever they wanted at it within a certain max amount of ALU performance (between VS and PS). If they are having ALU performance issues, that isn't likely to be the kind of thing that will drastically change (beyond the average change in programming competence that comes over the lifetime of a platform -- which is seemingly quite a bit). If they are having issues with USA, then they'd have equal or possibly more issues with a non-unified architecture; the same improvements would apply to both.

I'm not trying to say RSX is more powerful than Xenos or anything, I just don't buy the "leaning the USA" as any sort of special case that only applies to Xenos. I think both GPUs are pretty close to each other (different bottlenecks at any given point, but definitely same year parts).

17. SPM

SPM
    Regular

I always considered the "plastic" look of Xbox1 games compared to the PS2 was down to th fact that PS2 was good at particle effects, while Xbox1 wasn't. So PS2 developers used in particle effects a lot and Xbox1 developers didn't. It may be the same with PS3 vs XBox360. The SPEs should be good at particle effects while Xenon is less good, although it might also be handled by the GPUs in this gen.

18. Angelcurio

Regular

Sorry, i confused eveything when i read it this morning.

*notes that wont post anymore before drinking my coffee on the job*

Now, in a real note. I always thought that the OS was going to be located on a reserved space of the HDD. That was prior the sony announcement of the users being able to swap the default HDD for any SATA drive.

#18 Angelcurio, Sep 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  19. Dr. Nick

Regular

I wonder how many devs still use the Xenos in a non unified way. I remember it being implied that a dev could still use it in a non unified way.

20. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

There's a difference between system OS and the user operating system. It's like Amiga's OS was on it's kickstart ROMs, but the OS people used, AmigaDOS and Workbench, was loaded from disc. PS3OS system OS is in Flash, Linux or other user OS's is on HDD, and Linux (supposedly, still not confirmed!) comes preinstalled on the HDD.