SCE presentation from PlayStation Meeting 2005

The biggest offender of the PS3 jaggies seems to be Bandai and their Gundam game, which is still incredibly early considering it is still only using one of the SPEs. I don't recall see jaggies, or as much jaggies, in the Koei demo.

I was impressed with the Gundam thing cos a) it was obviously real, b) they'd used their own relatively new dev software, c) it was a very early build & d) as you said typo, it wasn't using the cell fully at all.

I was thinking more of Project Force that I had a look at over at IGN.

Does the dynamism (more movement and stuff) of a scene make applying AA harder? Again I'm thinking of the relatively sedate Getaway clip to Project Force robots blowing **** up.

slider said:
I was impressed with the Gundam thing cos a) it was obviously real, b) they'd used their own relatively new dev software, c) it was a very early build & d) as you said typo, it wasn't using the cell fully at all.

I was thinking more of Project Force that I had a look at over at IGN.

Does the dynamism (more movement and stuff) of a scene make applying AA harder? Again I'm thinking of the relatively sedate Getaway clip to Project Force robots blowing **** up.

The complexity of the scene will drain resources obviously, but with newer architectures claiming they have "free" AA that shouldn't matter, since the unit handling AA is a separate entity from the parts calculating geometry and shaders.

Obviously it still does though, for some reason i still can't fully grasp. Guess it all comes down to fillrate and bandwidth in the end. The more complex effects you use, the more fillrate and bandwidth you use, the less room you have for post-processing features like AA.

typoEDR said:
The biggest offender of the PS3 jaggies seems to be Bandai and their Gundam game, which is still incredibly early considering it is still only using one of the SPEs. I don't recall see jaggies, or as much jaggies, in the Koei demo.

I don't think it was using any SPE's, just the PPE core.

xbdestroya said:
typoEDR said:

I don't think it was using any SPE's, just the PPE core.

Putting it on the same level as a game running on a very powerful G4 (maybe G5) with a very powerful GPU. Bit like eating only the skin of a roast chicken.

london-boy: right, now I'm really confused. Not knowing much about this stuff I'd assumed that the "frames" outputted by the Xenos were then applied by... the...
No, hold on I'm about to talk gibberish. I'll start again. I understand the edram is an ultra fast, don't know the word, but link to the main Xenos part. And frames can be tiled to it. And this leads to the "free" AA, right? So how is this AA applied? Is there some logic on the daughter die?
If you find it easier to point me in another direction where I can get answers to questions like this I'd really appreciate it. I've searched for a site but with no luck - thing's like explanations of post-processing effects, various buffers... basically everything. Want to make a useful contribution at some point!

slider : Did the E3 stuff you see come at 1080 resolution? Chances are you saw downscaled images which supersamples out the jaggies a bit. Also a fair bit of material we've been seeing has been (or appears to have been) enlarged to 1080 resolution. Certainly the jaggies are larger than 1 pixel which isn't right. So either PS3 attains 1080p but rendering at lower res and upscaling REALLY badly (what does this suggest for XB360? Any links to the output we can expect given we know who their upscaler is provided by?) or these images are poor WIPs.

You can search this forum for all the info you need, or you can read the wonderful article Dave wrote on the Xenos. Right in this website. There's a thread about it too.

But to answer your questions, i thought we were talking about the RSX, not Xenos.

typoEDR said:
I don't think there's an official screen grab for the PS3 Gundam demo.

Shifty: Nope, it was lower quality - can't remember the exact place I saw it but I'd DL'ed to my pc & watched a couple of times.
Could the PS3, render internally at 1080p then output at lower res's - wouldn't that be a sort of AA?

london-boy: Yeah, sorry I was talking about the RSX. I only mentioned the Xenos cos you mentioned the free AA. And as a PS3 fan I feel slightly put-out by the more revolutionary approach taken by ATI.

Think I'll do a search of the articles on B3D then come back a while later...

slider said:
Shifty: Nope, it was lower quality - can't remember the exact place I saw it but I'd DL'ed to my pc & watched a couple of times.
Could the PS3, render internally at 1080p then output at lower res's - wouldn't that be a sort of AA?

That's the idea around here, but we've been through this many times before.

london-boy: Yeah, sorry I was talking about the RSX. I only mentioned the Xenos cos you mentioned the free AA. And as a PS3 fan I feel slightly put-out by the more revolutionary approach taken by ATI.

Even on Xenos it's not "free". It's never "free". Just very cheap. Using tiling helps, but we never get much for free.

one said:
typoEDR said:
I don't think there's an official screen grab for the PS3 Gundam demo.

You're right, and I wish they did post direct screen grabs, but I don't think Bandai will do that until the game is in better shape.

...Koei, on the other hand... I don't know what they are waiting for. Give us some direct screen grabs, because that demo looked absolutely awesome.

They already have let me try to find them.

Edited: Here they are. Notice the true colors of the character.
playstation_meeting_2005_02.jpg

Link http://www.koei.com/news/detail.cfm?id=86BC7EE0-D403-45E4-940F021EB738AA08

london-boy said:
Even on Xenos it's not "free". It's never "free". Just very cheap. Using tiling helps, but we never get much for free.

AA is effectively "free" on Xenos because the AA is applied by the logic on the daughter die, and doesn't effect the parent die's performance at all.

typoEDR said:

The jaggies was from the From Software mech game not the Bandai mech game.

Back