SE Yoichi Wada Has High Hopes for PS3, expects Sony market to take off in 2008

Who knows? SE likes to makes spinoffs, so maybe KH will get a Wii version while the main KH franchise remains on a Sony platform.

Depends on how well ps3 does in Japan. As it is they're selling about 1/3 the rate Wii is so if that continues, I imagine it will be pretty hard for jrpg devs to ignore that userbase.

My prediction is if PS3 does get KH3 it will be a port from Wii. Jrpg's will be mostly on Wii this gen and ported with a bit of polish in certain cases on ps3 (and some to xb360 too just out of ease of development).

All dependant on how well ps3 does in Japan of course. If they turn it around we could be looking at the reverse but Japan seems to bet heavy on one horse early and ride it to the finish line. We'll see.

Fair question -
Is it people who spend $600 on a console/Bluray Player or people who spend(receive) $250 on a console with a myriad of games targeted at the demographic that appreciate Disney characters?

So I guess people who spend $400 on a 360 won't play Viva Piniata, maybe they should port it to the DS? Last I heard you can buy a PS3 for $500.

Depends on how well ps3 does in Japan. As it is they're selling about 1/3 the rate Wii is so if that continues, I imagine it will be pretty hard for jrpg devs to ignore that userbase.

My prediction is if PS3 does get KH3 it will be a port from Wii. Jrpg's will be mostly on Wii this gen and ported with a bit of polish in certain cases on ps3 (and some to xb360 too just out of ease of development).

All dependant on how well ps3 does in Japan of course. If they turn it around we could be looking at the reverse but Japan seems to bet heavy on one horse early and ride it to the finish line. We'll see.

You are underestimating PS3, KH's attachment to the PS platform and SE's motives as a whole

+PS3 userbase will increase
+KH development wont necessarilly start soon so all consoles ight have a big enough install base
+Most KH fans probably arent kids and its by no means an easy game for kids

Perhaps if they are able to get to the <$200 price by the time KH is ready I'd agree it would be a good option but certainly no better than Wii. In fact I'd argue Wii would be an even better fit due to the hype, family friendly image, and lower dev costs. From this point I would port the game to xb360/ps3 from Wii. Assuming N doesn't give them a sweetheart deal for a franchise of their own.;)

Exclusives are always nice and I'm sure N would like an exlusive SE game again. However with the design of their system pretty much every game is an "exlusive" of sorts as it is distinctly different on Wii regardless.

*Are you sure most KH fans aren't kids? Do you have a link? I know it is a difficult game but how many parents just bought the game for the kids because it looked "safe"?*

So I guess people who spend $400 on a 360 won't play Viva Piniata, maybe they should port it to the DS? Last I heard you can buy a PS3 for $500.

How did Viva do at retail? ;) ...Speaking of Viva and DS, I heard they may be looking to do just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are underestimating PS3, KH's attachment to the PS platform and SE's motives as a whole

Based on what? SE's motives are to make money, make money, and make money.

FF's fanbase was attached to Nintendo at one time as well. Fans move with games. It's not like the Wii is prohibitively expensive or anything.;)

So has anyone heard if SE is going to do another Chrono Trigger/Cross sequel? I was looking at wiki and it looks like there were some patents applied for Chrono Break.

That and another Secret of Mana (I know there is a DS game in the works). Ohhh, a better version of The Bouncer!!! :oops: I would be all over that like white on rice....

Perhaps if they are able to get to the <$200 price by the time KH is ready I'd agree it would be a good option but certainly no better than Wii. In fact I'd argue Wii would be an even better fit due to the hype, family friendly image, and lower dev costs. From this point I would port the game to xb360/ps3 from Wii. Assuming N doesn't give them a sweetheart deal for a franchise of their own.;)

Exclusives are always nice and I'm sure N would like an exlusive SE game again. However with the design of their system pretty much every game is an "exlusive" of sorts as it is distinctly different on Wii regardless.

*Are you sure most KH fans aren't kids? Do you have a link? I know it is a difficult game but how many parents just bought the game for the kids because it looked "safe"?*

I ve visited many forums and I was surprised that most of the biggest fans werent kids. They dont differ from GoW, FF, Resi, DMC, MGS, Tekken, VF fans in ages.

The game despite the "disneyish" looks it also had a dark theme, and a story that is not that easilly understandable by kids. The plot actually reminded a lot in many parts the complexity of the Final Fantasy series.

Also after experiencing the game myself the work SE put into it shows that they arent the type that will just turn KH into a game that will easilly sell. They want to make a game that not only will sell but will keep itself high comparatively to the best out there. And Wii is the perfect console for a spin-off not for that. Not saying ofcourse that chances of it being exclusive on Wii are zero. But thats how I see KH as a franchise.

Based on what? SE's motives are to make money, make money, and make money.

FF's fanbase was attached to Nintendo at one time as well. Fans move with games. It's not like the Wii is prohibitively expensive or anything.;)

FF moved to the PS because N64 didnt offer the appropriate hardware for Square to make the game they envisioned.

Squaresoft stated their choice for FF on a certain platform is determined by its name+userbase and the hardware capabilities.

edit: also FF7 created a fanbase due to its quality on the PS1. It didnt just move it from Nintendo to the Playstation

FF moved to the PS because N64 didnt offer the appropriate hardware for Square to make the game they envisioned.

Carts. point is just because it was with one platform does not mean it will always be there. Heck look at all the heartbroken fans of Full Auto on xb360:LOL:

Didn't SE announce DQ was headed to DS recently?
I think that kinda goes against the theory of SE always shooting for the stars for their games.

For FF I agree. KH? - not so much.

KH ported to ps3/360? - possibly
Wii first though.

By next year it would have been two years between release and wii hardware isn't exactly mind warping. I'm sure they aren't fighting with dev kits to get the game up and running.

Oh I just rememberd, didnt SE sold KH to disney some time ago? Because disney also started a new studio that is only going to make Wii games so that would basically garranty KH on the Wii. Or did it stay at a rumor? I searched for it but couldnt find any news about SE actually selling it.

Squaresoft stated their choice for FF on a certain platform is determined by its name+userbase and the hardware capabilities.

edit: also FF7 created a fanbase due to its quality on the PS1. It didnt just move it from Nintendo to the Playstation

This is FF not KH3:smile:

Not that KH is a garbage franchise but to think they would not release it on wii because it isn't bleeding edge tech is a bit hard to believe. FF I can agree with though.

Carts. point is just because it was with one platform does not mean it will always be there. Heck look at all the heartbroken fans of Full Auto on xb360:LOL:

Didn't SE announce DQ was headed to DS recently?
I think that kinda goes against the theory of SE always shooting for the stars for their games.

For FF I agree. KH? - not so much.

KH ported to ps3/360? - possibly
Wii first though.

By next year it would have been two years between release and wii hardware isn't exactly mind warping. I'm sure they aren't fighting with dev kits to get the game up and running.
1)Exactly....CARTRIDGES.
2)Full Auto is not in the same leaque as FF or KH and neither is Sega the same as SE
3)Square isnt known for ports especially for its biggest franchises
4)About DQ:Handheld and Consoles are differemt markets and irrelevant to each other

Plus taken from Wada's comments in these very thread:

With Dragon Quest IX coming out for the DS, Wada fielded a question about this meaning a shift in Square Enix's development strategy towards the platform. This isn't necessarily the case. "Following portable machines, we see the market for the PlayStation 3 and other next generation consoles taking off, so we will develop for that."

In fact, nothing has apparently been decided for the next Dragon Quest. "Aside from the Dragon Quest titles that have been announced, nothing has been decided. We're not thinking about fixing [the series] on the DS."

And DQ was never attached to a cetain platform anyways and it didnt sell as much as it was expected on the PS2 despite the huge userbase

This is FF not KH3:smile:

Not that KH is a garbage franchise but to think they would not release it on wii because it isn't bleeding edge tech is a bit hard to believe. FF I can agree with though.

You brought FF into the subject shifting to the PS as an example so I replied to that

And no its not that hard to believe. Wii isnt just a little weaker in hardware. Its TOO weak.

Oh I just rememberd, didnt SE sold KH to disney some time ago? Because disney also started a new studio that is only going to make Wii games so that would basically garranty KH on the Wii. Or did it stay at a rumor? I searched for it but couldnt find any news about SE actually selling it.

That should make things different if true since Disney isnt SE

That will guarantee it for Wii

1)Exactly....CARTRIDGES.
2)Full Auto is not in the same leaque as FF or KH and neither is Sega the same as SE
3)Square isnt known for ports especially for its biggest franchises
4)About DQ:Handheld and Consoles are differemt markets and irrelevant to each other

Plus taken from Wada's comments in these very thread:

And DQ was never attached to a cetain platform anyways and it didnt sell as much as it was expected on the PS2 despite the huge userbase

Full Auto was a joke fyi and a good one too:smile:

SE ported FF11 right?

Look I'm just saying it makes sense for a lot of reasons. KH was not the best looking game on ps2 neither was kh2. Both looked ok but nothing to write home about. The theme of the game would sell well to kids regardless if it has or not historically. Wii has a lot of hype and is easy/cheap to develop for and fits the demographic to a T. All the evidence added up to me suggests a perfect marriage.

You say it won't come to Wii based on it being a Playstation franchise, I say it will based on my previous comments.:smile:

Oops didnt get the joke :oops:

F11 felt more like a spin off. It was pure online game that needed people which due to its HDD support it didnt do well on the PS2. Its an exception for obvious reasons which still doesnt make SE known for making ports

I d say it wont be a port and being a Wii exclusive isnt very sure for many reasons

If rumors are true though that Disney took over it then all you described fit perfectly to Disney but not completely to SE and so it will be a Wii game

Well it is a bit shabby considering how big the title is in Japan and that the ps2 has a 20million uberbase over there. For example, pokemon on the DS sold 5million times already I believe with a userbase not even half as big as the ps2 has in Japan.

Back