SCE interviews (Kutaragi, Kawanishi)

Bobbler said:
I was saying playing something on the PS3 that has been recorded by the PVR (in the PC) will be cake... there are free PVR programs that you can get on your PC, or cheap ones at least. Is there a browser on the 360 that allows you to control a PVR? Didn't know that (don't have MCE to try) -- unless Sony makes an app for the PC (which could well happen), you likely won't see that type of stuff. Browsing actual media and playing it transparently anywhere is what DLNA is all about.

Also, in reference to the rest of your post... the idea behind DLNA is that you don't need any sort of custom apps, because as long as it's DLNA compliant you can browse the media on it and play it wherever.

@patsu, XP MCE is DLNA compliant, and there is a patch for XP that allows DLNA features, if I remember correctly. Vista will obviously be. Not sure on the 360 situation -- could be something they add in the future? Would be neat if PSP/360/PS3 are all made to be DLNA compliant =o

Well, as a PVR enthusiast I can tell you that even the paid software solutions, like BeyondTV are pretty crappy. I can only imagine what the freeware stuff would look like. MCE really made my life easier as it includes all this stuff and is a snap to set up, it's very smart (i.e. it knows which programs are new and which aren't, seems minor but it's a major problem with many PVR software solutions) and it's reliable (again, seems obvious but it's a problem with many 3rd party solutions i.e. they crash at the worst times)

Ya the 360 basically extends the entire MCE interface, it's identical to the interface you would see on your PC, so that includes the MyTV (guide, keyword/title search, record scheduling, playback recordings, etc), online radio, my pictures, my videos etc, the whole works.

I'm anxiously looking forward to HDTV-tuner support with windows Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbler said:
I was saying playing something on the PS3 that has been recorded by the PVR (in the PC) will be cake... there are free PVR programs that you can get on your PC, or cheap ones at least. Is there a browser on the 360 that allows you to control a PVR? Didn't know that (don't have MCE to try) -- unless Sony makes an app for the PC (which could well happen), you likely won't see that type of stuff. Browsing actual media and playing it transparently anywhere is what DLNA is all about.

Also, in reference to the rest of your post... the idea behind DLNA is that you don't need any sort of custom apps, because as long as it's DLNA compliant you can browse the media on it and play it wherever.

@patsu, XP MCE is DLNA compliant, and there is a patch for XP that allows DLNA features, if I remember correctly. Vista will obviously be. Not sure on the 360 situation -- could be something they add in the future? Would be neat if PSP/360/PS3 are all made to be DLNA compliant =o

Bobbler, thanks for the info. I have a more up-to-date picture now (I think :) ). Microsoft is not claiming DLNA compliance publicly. Instead they chose to use the name "Windows Media Connect". However all the basic elements like (some form of) HTTP-based control protocol, UPnP, basic media profile are in WMC. Assuming that WMC uses compatible DLNA protocol (MS didn't claim this on their website), a DLNA compliant PS3 (if exists) should be able to interact with it. I guess we wil have to wait and see. It not, there are third party DLNA servers are available on Windows and presumably other OSes.

As for XBMC, it's using SMB file sharing and/or FTP to playback local files. So it won't be able to recognize any DLNA appliances on the network. The great thing is any SMB compliant server will be able to serve out files. The downside is the other DLNA goodies are not present (e.g., ability to work with a photo printer on the net when PC is off, interact with any DLNA remote control and browser).

I hope PS3 supports DLNA from the get-go. But really nothing solid is known yet since Sony didn't say anything during the last E3. The built-in gigabit port will come in handy when (*IF*) it handles streaming a few years down the road.

Back