SE Yoichi Wada Has High Hopes for PS3, expects Sony market to take off in 2008

Well it is a bit shabby considering how big the title is in Japan and that the ps2 has a 20million uberbase over there. For example, pokemon on the DS sold 5million times already I believe with a userbase not even half as big as the ps2 has in Japan.

DQ from what I recall though didn't have nearly the amount of production value/polish that a typical FF game gets these days though. Could be the populous rejected* their effort.

*if you can call 4 million or 25% of the userbase a rejection

DQ from what I recall though didn't have nearly the amount of production value/polish that a typical FF game gets these days though. Could be the populous rejected* their effort.

*if you can call 4 million or 25% of the userbase a rejection

You mean 4% of the userbase. Almost all of that 4% are Japanese. It did well in Japan thats why it reached that mark but terribly in North America and Europe.

You mean 4% of the userbase. Almost all of that 4% are Japanese. It did well in Japan thats why it reached that mark but terribly in North America and Europe.

I blame it on poor marketing and undesireable art direction..

I think it's possible that the artistic simplicity of the game didn't really lend itself to the depth fo the experience that one would only know was present in a dragon quest game if one was familiar with the series.. And for example, since i'd never even heard of dragon quest until suddenly hearing how number 7 did so well in Japan when it came out i wasn't immediately overwhelmed with excitiment when the game hit the market over here..

And it doesn't help that the visuals liken the game alot to some of the dragon ball Z games (which have a bad reputation for sucking..)

I'm sure if you didn't know what it was you might think the two franchises were connected in some way..

I have to agree with that.

And this isnt a problem in the latest one either. Previous DQ games also didnt have an attractive art direction for Europeans and Americans

I thought ps2 sold 20 million in Japan? 4 million units sold out of 20 million would be 20%. Or was 4m worldwide? Eitherway 4 million isn't bad and if the titles was given firstclass treatment it likely would have sold better.

I thought ps2 sold 20 million in Japan? 4 million units sold out of 20 million would be 20%. Or was 4m worldwide? Eitherway 4 million isn't bad and if the titles was given firstclass treatment it likely would have sold better.

It sold 4 million worldwide but indeed most of them are japanese. It sold around 1 million in all other territories combined.

No it was the demo for xb360 (no name)

The FF7 demo was nice and it would be great if they redid it (extended the story) proper for nextgen.

First time I see this one. Another mmorpg FF spin off?

Very interesting. Looks good too

Very interesting. Looks good too

If they stamp FF anywhere on a title that looks that good It will instantly add cred to the title and maybe even sell a game or two.;)

Biggest thing support like that would bring isn't in the game itself but the credibility of the platform to support games of the calibre and class of a FF which would open up further support of the same type.

A true FF would be much better of course but any nextgen FF is better than no ng FF.

What makes you think it's an MMO?

It's not anything in particular. It was called a tech demo, just seeing what the XB360 could do. What SE then go on to do with the hardware wasn't ever hinted out.

It's not anything in particular. It was called a tech demo, just seeing what the XB360 could do. What SE then go on to do with the hardware wasn't ever hinted out.

Seemed pretty detailed to just be a tech demo. A lot of time/money wasted if that was the extent of it's purpose don't you think?

If they stamp FF anywhere on a title that looks that good It will instantly add cred to the title and maybe even sell a game or two.;)

Biggest thing support like that would bring isn't in the game itself but the credibility of the platform to support games of the calibre and class of a FF which would open up further support of the same type.

A true FF would be much better of course but any nextgen FF is better than no ng FF.

Well the characters look like the ones in FF11 and the youtube video title sais "Final Fantasy Next-Gen MMO Concept Video".

The video also doest seem to be like the typical FF games. It just shows various common looking characters walking here and there.

The text that was submitted with the video says so:
Youtube said:
Japan's Nikkei Net news service reports that Square Enix is currently at work on a next generation massively multiplayer online RPG being developed for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Windows Vista formats.
These guys apparently, but unfortunately their search function requires registration.
If SE gave official commentary on the vid, it should have been covered at other places as well.

Well the characters look like the ones in FF11 and the youtube video title sais "Final Fantasy Next-Gen MMO Concept Video".

The video also doest seem to be like the typical FF games. It just shows various common looking characters walking here and there.

Ah - Well serves me right for not smacking IT out of this whole "access denied " phase. Who needs firewalls these days anyway? :D

Does anyone have an update on this "title"? -thanks zeckensack :)

Seemed pretty detailed to just be a tech demo.
Many tech demos are. If you're testing the hardware, you want to try and stretch it. If you want to see how well it handles an ornate architecture with free-roaming AI characters, you build a scene with all that in. Doubly so if you're intending a public showing.

I don't see any reason to think what was shown here was a WIP for a particular game. It might find it's way into a game, and may be assets they had from elsewhere. I'm pretty sure an interview said it was just a tech demo and nothing was planned. It's certainly not an FF title or FF MMO. At least there's never been any official or unofficial branding of the tech demo as as much by anyone but reporters.

Back