SE Yoichi Wada Has High Hopes for PS3, expects Sony market to take off in 2008

Angelcurio

Regular
Wada Has High Hopes for PS3
Square Enix exec expects Sony market to take off in 2008.

February 9, 2007 - Yoichi Wada is one of the most outspoken industry figures in Japan, often sharing his thoughts as one of his two identities: chairman of the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association or president of Square Enix. In a recent interview with Japan's Nikkei BP, Wada assumed the latter form as he discussed Dragon Quest and the future of the PS3.

With Dragon Quest IX coming out for the DS, Wada fielded a question about this meaning a shift in Square Enix's development strategy towards the platform. This isn't necessarily the case. "Following portable machines, we see the market for the PlayStation 3 and other next generation consoles taking off, so we will develop for that."

In fact, nothing has apparently been decided for the next Dragon Quest. "Aside from the Dragon Quest titles that have been announced, nothing has been decided. We're not thinking about fixing [the series] on the DS."

The Square Enix president seems to have a lot of faith in the PS3. "We have expectations from the PS3. However, it's still early. For us to do business [on the platform], it will take a bit more time."

Wada expects a shift to the PS3 to begin first with a more pronounced shift to high definition television sets. "Once the television environment is in place, at last the true game business will form. I see the PS3 market taking off starting around 2008."

"Some journalists don't understand that there's a difference in the amount of time hardware takes to spread and have taken the tone of 'the world of high vision, high quality gaming has come to an end.' However, once you see the world of high vision, there's no going back."

Closing up, Wada offered his vision for how gamers will split across all the various systems out there. "I believe casual gamers will go to the Wii, DS, or even PSP while those who want to have a fuller experience will go to the PS3 and Xbox 360."

Link: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/763/763512p1.html

He has a very nice view of where the industry is headed.

Spring 2008 should be a good time to examine where Sony stands in the console business. I think it'll tell whether Sony has loss it or gain momentum. Should be interesting.

The idea that casual gaming will conquer all is misguided in my personal opinion.

Like not everybody liking vanilla ice cream the most not everybody will like Wrio Ware and Mario Party games either.

There will always be a need for all flavors of gaming. Casual hardcore and kinda inbetween.

I think/hope PS3 will enjoy a lot of success. Probably not as much as PS2 which was kind of exceptional one has to say. But still. It will be successful even though it might look a bit bumpy initially.

I remember a lot f people dooming the original PS2 too when it was new. It was too hard to program it was too expensive etc.

Strangely all thos epeople have just shut up these days hehe. :cool:

Peace.

The ps2 is a whole other story though. The ps2 didnt had any competition for a year and when the competition arrived it had to compete with a purple cube and the first machine from a company alot of people wanted to see fail. Now sony is in the complete opposite position. They are a year late, have a more expansive console, far less (good) games and dont offer something the x360 doesnt have on the gaming side. I really do wonder how many devs want to go ps3 only by 2008 when ms has like 20 - 25 million units out and ps3 probably something around 10 million if they manage that.

Read this over at Elite Bastards the other day and it pretty much sums up my view on anything Sony has to say PR-wise about the PS3 lately:

Bobenis at Elite Bastards said:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/09/ce-oh-no-he-didnt-part-xxiv-jack-tretton-wants-to-give-you/

Electronic Gaming Monthly, in an interview with Sony's Jack Tretton in early January, mentioned the recent availability of his company's console: "...it seemed like about 50 percent of the people in line were there to make a quick buck on eBay. And now we're seeing a lot more units on store shelves." Jack seemed a tad surprised by this, but he put his money where his mouth is: "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1,200 bucks for it. I can get any retail buyer on the phone with you and get them to verify that there's not a single retail location in America where there's a PlayStation 3 on the shelf for sale. They've all been sold in a matter of minutes." After EGM let Tretton know they had indeed phoned 18 stores and found half of them had PS3s in stock, some stores with as many as 20 consoles, Jack held firm "if only nine of the 18 stores you contacted had supplies, that seems to be a clear indication that sales continue to be outstanding." So there you have it, Jack's not backing down. We're guessing our check is already in the mail.

Read this over at Elite Bastards the other day and it pretty much sums up my view on anything Sony has to say PR-wise about the PS3 lately:

Classic! Truly Classic!

Another good one:
"once you see the world of high vision, there's no going back" - Wada
sponsored by: ClearEyestm

So it looks like FF will be out in 2008 and I noticed he mentioned xbox360 along with ps3 at the end of the interview. This in conjunction with a prior interview with SE about six months ago where they stated something like; we want them to succeed but we don't want to support Sony too much - interesting.

What ever happened to that realtime demo these guys did at e3 for xb360? It looked great from what I remember and this was a year and a half ago.:???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything in Japan is advertised as Hi-Vision not HD. I think they figured "definition" has too many syllables in it and is hard for Japanese to pronounce.

Everything in Japan is advertised as Hi-Vision not HD. I think they figured "definition" has too many syllables in it and is hard for Japanese to pronounce.

they can't even pronounce PLAYSTATION 3 properly in my opinion. Kutaragi's way of reading PS3 as "poo-ray-soo-tation free" was so funny :LOL:

Oh boy. Let's try and keep this on topic, not another SONY stoning session! Anyways...
Spring 2008 should be a good time to examine where Sony stands in the console business. I think it'll tell whether Sony has loss it or gain momentum. Should be interesting.
I agree. 2007 holiday period will really be interesting, and we won't see the full picture till the first month of 2008.

SE will play a big part in SONY's progression over the next 12months, and these recent statements bodes well for SONY and PS3 supporters alike. It's good to know that SE are quite confident about the PS3's future, and are keen to continue their support of the system.

Did they ever disclose that game they said would only work if released in 2007? I think it was tied to a FFVII remake rumour?

they can't even pronounce PLAYSTATION 3 properly in my opinion. Kutaragi's way of reading PS3 as "poo-ray-soo-tation free" was so funny :LOL:

Well if your opinions are going to come with such an air of bigotry then maybe you should keep them to yourself in future..

(I'm sure there are quite a few Japanese words that you'd struggle to even read let alone pronounce so I hardly think it's fair for someone like yourself to make such comments..:cry: )

It's humor, just like the site Engrish.com. Japanese invite this humor, as many seem obsessed with English/American language and culture and thus make many "mistakes" in the way they use them.

It isn't as if everyone else doesn't have loads of things to poke humorously at either... hell, if I tried to speak Japanese I'd sound like some, well, an idiot.

Well if your opinions are going to come with such an air of bigotry then maybe you should keep them to yourself in future..

(I'm sure there are quite a few Japanese words that you'd struggle to even read let alone pronounce so I hardly think it's fair for someone like yourself to make such comments..:cry: )

People shouldnt make fun of other people's language anyway. Especially if you only speak one language. Though Japanese sometimes ask to be made fun off with english. Reminds me of this blog of some guy in Japan and ''breast girl''.

wow are they that scarce, ie big shops with just 1-3 consoles, i was under the impression in the states that they were everywhere in numbers. im guessing each of those shops had 20+ ps2's/xb360s + perhaps also 1-3 wii's

Actually in the comic strip they claim that they still can't find a wii...

I remember when the PSP first came out. I imported myself a Japanese unit (from toysnjoys.com). Paid like 400 dollars for it. Now? It collects dust. Almost the same story with the 360. My wife would kill me if I spent 600 bones and then let it collect dust... I still want a PS3 and enjoy playing my dad's any chance I get.

Actually in the comic strip they claim that they still can't find a wii...

I remember when the PSP first came out. I imported myself a Japanese unit (from toysnjoys.com). Paid like 400 dollars for it. Now? It collects dust. Almost the same story with the 360. My wife would kill me if I spent 600 bones and then let it collect dust... I still want a PS3 and enjoy playing my dad's any chance I get.

If you told your wife that your father's acquisition of a PS3 before you getting one is an insult to your status as a tech geek, and that you must reclaim your honor, would she go for that? :LOL:

If you told your wife that your father's acquisition of a PS3 before you getting one is an insult to your status as a tech geek, and that you must reclaim your honor, would she go for that? :LOL:

Actually my wife would probably punch you if you mentioned the PS3 :oops:. Sore subject, cause my dad rubbed the fact that he has one and I don't in my face (we are both tech ppl, the only diff is he has a much bigger bank account :mad: ). My wife hated it, and was happy that he got one, cause then he stopped talking about it. I get the death look from her still (he has had one since like the beginning of January :cry: ) when we come across a store with one in it.

In other words, no :LOL: . Wii on the other hand, is looked upon favorably :???:.

Back