RSX exists (as does PS3 Reference Tool)

Bobbler said:
It's all code! Brown Sauce = RSX. Ketchup = GTX. Obviously.
OMG that means...
Edge said:
Lots of Ketchup and brown food coloring. ;)
...Edge is the new insider, RSX = GTX in disguise!

PS3 am cry :( :( :(

Or maybe...lots of ketchup....4x SLI confirmed!

I dont think that Michiel is even close to hinting the existance of RSX. Someone saying RSX is cool doesnt mean it exists. Also he says he isnt even close to breaking any NDAs.

Michiel said:
1. Actually, the EE on the PS2 had vector units we *had* to use for graphics, with Cell you can write to the RSX from any part of Cell, but you don't have to. It's more of an option, so that's cool, it makes it easier. /../

3. We'll sure be maxing out the RSX and be pushing a number of SPU's in succession, but it all depends a bit. Sorry, have to be a bit vague there.

All he is saying is that they will push RSX, not anything about whether they have it or not. Assuming he means they have RSX and will max it out is just wrong since he hasnt said anything of the kind before (as far back as I read anyway). Also he is informing us about the PS3 architecture, which we already knew of, in which he mentions RSX.

2. There's always wishes, where would we be if we were satisfied.. But no, nothing that springs to mind immediately that's lacking. Of course, MORE and FASTER always sounds good to me.

But this is _teh_ confirmation that PS3 doesnt have enough RAM and is too slow. (<-- sarcasm over there)

I just think some of you are grasping for straws. :-?

Straws said:
About those dev kits. Well. We've made a pretty good PS2 game, a PS3 game is in the works for some time now, and we're a Sony first party. Do the math

Math: first party developers + doing a ps3 game = they have a ps3 dev kit

Had they just been a first party developer not developing a ps3 game they wouldnt have had ps3 dev kits.

Cheers!

dubyateeeff said:
I dont think that Michiel is even close to hinting the existance of RSX. Someone saying RSX is cool doesnt mean it exists. Also he says he isnt even close to breaking any NDAs.

All he is saying is that they will push RSX, not anything about whether they have it or not. Assuming he means they have RSX and will max it out is just wrong since he hasnt said anything of the kind before (as far back as I read anyway). Also he is informing us about the PS3 architecture, which we already knew of, in which he mentions RSX.

But this is _teh_ confirmation that PS3 doesnt have enough RAM and is too slow. (<-- sarcasm over there)

I just think some of you are grasping for straws. :-?

Math: first party developers + doing a ps3 game = they have a ps3 dev kit

Had they just been a first party developer not developing a ps3 game they wouldnt have had ps3 dev kits.

Cheers!

But he's inferring that they have the latest dev kits...the ps3 reference tool (which was stated in the question asked to him).

Key words being : PS3 Reference Tool....whether they changed what was going into the refernce tool...I don't know (or whether or not there are a number of iterations of the reference tool)

ROG27 said:
Key words being : PS3 Reference Tool....whether they changed what was going into the refernce tool...I don't know (or whether or not there are a number of iterations of the reference tool)

You are also being way too literal, IMO.

When we speak of the "PS3 Reference tool" here on this message board, (and tech ******s in general), we know it means that "slim, shiny thing on some slide presentation that includes final hardware...including the RSX".

Someone else hearing "PS3 Reference tool" may very well just interpret that as "PS3 Dev Kit."

Based on all the hints being dropped in this thread, there certainly is not a "slim, shiny rack-mount" type kit available, so it stands to reason that the "PS3 Reference tool" we speak of either does not exist, or is not in the hands of devs yet. (Whether or not the current dev kits contain an RSX is a different question).

Joe DeFuria said:
Based on all the hints being dropped in this thread, there certainly is not a "slim, shiny rack-mount" type kit available
Huh?! Hints? What hints? That meat pie is best served with brown sauce? All we have in that department is a guy who's friend has a large grey PS3 kit, only he doesn't know his friend got it before December or not, so it could just be the SDK prior to the Reference Tool. There's absolute no actually info for or against on the existence of a slimline rackmount SDK.

Yes, I take this as a legitimate "hint" about the size / "rackmount" formfactor of the current kits:

DeanA said:
I call shenanigans. The quote above is like saying a meat pie from Old Trafford is 'something like a fine steak dinner'.

Along with

DeanA said:
Infact, comparing even the current crop of CEB-20x0 units against a rackmount is something only Stevie Wonder could do with a straight face.

Again, this says nothing about RSX itself....but it does tell me that the "PS3 Reference Tool" we have come to know from that power point presentation is just not out there in developers hands.

Another question then...

...is Sony fabbing the RSX in their own plants or are NVidia fabbing it in their plants? Are either of the 2 currently using a 90nm process? And I mean CURRENTLY as in right this moment.

:devilish:

Another thing...PS3 reference tools may not yet have been distributed externally ... could Sony internal dev teams be the guinea pigs until production of the SKDs kicks up and kinks worked out? Is this not a reasonable assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
ROG27 said:
...is Sony fabbing the RSX in their own plants or are NVidia fabbing it in their plants? Are either of the 2 currently using a 90nm process? And I mean CURRENTLY as in right this moment.

Another thing...PS3 reference tools may not yet have been distributed externally ... could Sony internal dev teams be the guinea pigs until production of the SKDs kicks up and kinks worked out? Is this not a reasonable assumption?

Well, NVidia doesn't have full-scale fabs, so I doubt it's coming from TSMC or IBM or anywhere NVidia usually uses. Sony will be the ones fabbing the RSX ultimately, so I wouldn't see why they wouldn't be the ones doing the sampling.

ROG27 said:

Sony's baking them on a 90nm process. Not sure if they're baking them NOW, but they definately will if they haven't started yet.
Also, Hirai said Sony sent off 4000 devkits to developers, so i guess they have been distributed alright..

ROG27 said:

I don't believe nVidia has any plants -- they go the tsmc route.

Sony has a few plants, and yes they have 90nm going on (the PSTwo's and PSP's chips).

maybe the reference tool is in dev hands but doesn't look like that powerpoint slide.

like a visual representation of the various stages of dev kits that the "suits" could understand...

could be going a bit mad thou...not suprising reading this thread.:LOL:

Ik think devs don't have the final kits yet. We haven't heard any informal (reliable) info on the RSX yet. I'm sure someone would leak it if it existed.

Back