What is Microsoft's "Xbox 3" Exclusive Strategy?

and 300m is very much,you can make 7xHalo 3 or 25xGears of War
That GoW value is unrealistic. Epic clearly didn't factor in all the development costs such as creating the engine. And that was last gen. $35+M for a AAA title next gen seems very likely to me.

That GoW value is unrealistic. Epic clearly didn't factor in all the development costs such as creating the engine. And that was last gen. $35+M for a AAA title next gen seems very likely to me.
that's why i throw Halo AND Gears
and i don't think almost every AAA game for next gen will be 35+M,well,since no one know about this yet,let us wait and see

It's in Epics best interests to downplay the cost of GoW so they can demonstrate the value of buying the UnReal engine.
Internal development is also more expensive than having a 3rd party develop.
$30M sounds like a reasonable budget for a AAA game to me, but the final spend will always depend on how development goes.

Is it relevant to factor in the cost of developing the engine? Surely if they are creating their own it will either be licensed or reused, so doesn't removing from the creation costs make the most sense?

Unless you believe MS is going to have studios creating their own engines, not reuse them and not license them to others?

Is it relevant to factor in the cost of developing the engine? Surely if they are creating their own it will either be licensed or reused, so doesn't removing from the creation costs make the most sense?

Unless you believe MS is going to have studios creating their own engines, not reuse them and not license them to others?

As long as they factor in licensing and support costs for whatever engine is used that's somewhat fair. But you have to be aware that licensing a game engine isn't a plug and play affair, especially for AAA projects. There's also going to be extensive and quite often expensive modifications to the engine to support what you want to do with your game.

Those added costs for AAA projects are definitely not insignificant. It's quite likely to be cheaper and more cost effective for many projects than developing your own engine, but depending on the project it's impossible to say how much cheaper it may be. And there's always a chance that depending on how developement goes, a licensed engine could actually end up more expensive. But at the point the licensed engine is already a sunk cost so you just go with it until completion.

For smaller budget games with less cash for modifying or altering the licensed engine, then it's obviously going to be cheaper and closer to a plug and play (or plug and develope? :p) situation.

Regards,
SB

@kagemaru: This pic says nothing about *core* IPs (assuming I'm not blind). It's just some IPs. Besides - 300Mil isn't that much if you consider that ~4 obvious games are probably already in this mix and at 35Mil/title that's half of that cash POOF! disappearing like that. ;)

As it's been pointed out, I'm not sure how a profile about a "Partner Director of Core Gaming" would have anything to do with casual games. ;)

All of the games listed as examples could all fit within the "core" game category as well.

Also I understand that $300 isn't going to last you an entire generation, or however many games you had in mind, but there's nothing stating it needs to. We have no idea how far they have to stretch this $300million and how long until they get more money in their budget for other games. They do mention that it's there for 4+ titles.:p

Basically I think it's good enough to prove that they are investing into core IPs, which AFAIK relates to the OP's question.

Found that picture:

I would say that exclusives are more important early in the generation and become less important during the last years of a generation. By that time, the core demographic will have picked up your console by now and you're likely looking into the more casual/mainstream audience who really don't know about what is exclusive and what isn't since they don't keep up on gaming news.

A gears 1 in the hand is worth a MGS4 and Killzone 2 in the bush. :p

Anyway the problem with exclusives now is that the third parties are more than up to speed in terms of coming out with strong I.P. I don't think there will be a hiatus where there is a drought of games to make exclusives look more important. The third parties can rely on the current generation a lot more than they could in the current generation when looking back at the PS2 generation.

It's funny I was looking at an IGN article today about "top 20 Xbox exclusives in 2012" and, most of them are XBLA games. Minecraft, Fez, Alan Wake: AN, Sine Mora, Trials Evo, etc.

Also this one, Deadlight, that looks fricken amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlKEH8Kc3c But I digress

My point is, is the world switching to digital domination even quicker than we think? Is Xbox and it's exclusives almost already there?

Back