EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5 (rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what if Sony release their titles on Xbox?

Sony President Hiroki Totoki says he wants to go aggressive in improving margins by growing 1st party with multi-platform #PlayStation

In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the 1st party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, 1st party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on.

I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance
.” - Hiroki Totoki

Yep. The PC market is big and often has a lot of high disposable income people who'll buy day 1. This is a smart move.

The consoles eventually will just become a closed boxed experience for those looking for simplicity etc

I could be wrong and MS is effectively quitting hardware after all. Not that they said that, apparently they said they'll continue. But putting someone that doesn't understand the basic concept of "Razors and Razor Blades" business model in charge of doing console hardware means you're not doing hardware anymore pretty quickly.
Let’s say that all their games go multi, they would compete on hardware and platform.

They would probably leave the traditional console market as it is, but they wouldn’t leave hardware. They can offer a compelling reason to own Xbox, as long as it is more than just an Xbox. People are spending thousands on tablets, laptops etc.

There is opportunity to compete in other technology verticals that can double up as an Xbox.

Yep. The PC market is big and often has a lot of high disposable income people who'll buy day 1. This is a smart move.

The consoles eventually will just become a closed boxed experience for those looking for simplicity etc
talking of which, the ideal console/PC, a hybrid device, would be ideal, imho, I'd buy it day 1 if that existed, but it doesn't. Steam Deck is the closest but Windows has more potential.

A console/PC with a mobile version and a desktop version, Windows below, with the best thing about consoles, so frontend console UI that could be managed by a 5 years old, running on Windows, and a layer below where you could go deeper or use it as a typical Windows experience for productivity, or things like using mods that improve the experience -the best of PC-, with some decent specs for a decent compatibility with any game.

Last edited:
It's smart. I applaud the messaging strategy.

We all know this isn't the end, but I'm not spending the rest of this gen speculating on whether or not the following games are eventually going to PS:

Starfield
Hellblade 2
MS Flight Sim
Avowed
Indiana Jones
Fable
Perfect Dark
Clockwork Revolution
South of Midnight
Towerborne
Outerworlds 2
Contraband
State of Decay 3
Gears 6
Doom Zero
Halo Next
Forza Horizon 6

I'll be playing them Day 1 on GamePass instead. 😀

What that can't show, is if there's a persistent impact from having a range of exclusive titles available on a platform. There's still the general consensus of that being the source of Sony's lead over Xbox. It might not actually be true. Anyone posting on gaming forums isn't actually a typical console customer.
food for thought..., where the big unknown is. is in the actual impact of hardcore players over the whole market. Casual people says things like a man once told me: "Dunno what happened, this console {Gamecube} fell in disgrace". But they don't know much, they just use terms related to the hearsay.

That initial impact of exclusives drag casual players where the sales, caused by hardcore players, are.

I live in a very small village, with 20 to 30 inhabitants, and several small families here got the PS4 for their children, 'cos it was popular and fashionable, which is the message the hardcore players end up transmitting initially, creating a market tendency and casuals follow suit.

Last edited:
I live in a very small village, with 20 to 30 inhabitants, and several small families here got the PS4 for their children, 'cos it was popular and fashionable, which is the message the hardcore players end up transmitting initially, creating a market tendency and casuals follow suit.

Yeah, it's always interesting how people buying stuff works. Randomly:

My daughter ended up with a OneS around 2018 as her Uncle bought her one. I don't think he really thought about it beyond them being able to play together. I ended up using it too for Gamepass. The generation seemed entirely pointless until that point. Ended up doing Series S and X purchases as upgrades.

My daughter recently had a Switch for her birthday, as she has friends that are obsessed with Animal Crossing. She also loves playing all sorts of crappy cheap games she buys with her pocket money. :)

For the mean time....;)
You wouldn't expect them to announce everything in one go, would you

Starfield coming to PS5 is just a question of when, not if. I think at this point PS gamers would be happy with more different games on their platform, it's not like they are currently drowned by single player games from Sony first party studios.

I'd be personnaly glad if they release some of their Rare stuff there!
Draw a long enough line and the whole landscape will be changed. Draw a line long enough and perhaps we would have suffered another global flu that really decimates our population. If it’s not announced to port within the next year or 2 is it really worth insinuating that it’s coming right now? I’m in a bit of agreement that if there is no real indication that it’s arriving anytime soon, such as we had the rumours earlier, there’s not really a point in discussing it.

The LT at Xbox shut down the Indiana Jones and Starfield rumors, as of this moment it’s pretty shut and dry until someone else is able to actually find out otherwise.

Draw a long enough line and the whole landscape will be changed. Draw a line long enough and perhaps we would have suffered another global flu that really decimates our population. If it’s not announced to port within the next year or 2 is it really worth insinuating that it’s coming right now? I’m in a bit of agreement that if there is no real indication that it’s arriving anytime soon, such as we had the rumours earlier, there’s not really a point in discussing it.

The LT at Xbox shut down the Indiana Jones and Starfield rumors, as of this moment it’s pretty shut and dry until someone else is able to actually find out otherwise.
Nothing was shut down. MS said more games are under consideration

Nothing was shut down. MS said more games are under consideration
They literally said on the podcast nothing else is coming other than these four and they had distinct reasons for these to be the 4.

Show me during the podcast they said that more games are under consideration without cherry picking a sentence and missing the context before it

This sounds exactly how PlayStation gamers felt and bargained with themselves about PS games heading to PC. A certain amount of denial that only a "few" and "selected" (and potentially, only multiplayer titles) titles will only be heading to the PC. But here we are, with a great deal of PS single player tentpole titles on PC and more heading it's way.

Microsoft is software and service company foremost, and having their software/games/services on EVERY GAMING PLATFORM is their goal, regardless of hurt feelings.

Last edited:
This sounds exactly how PlayStation gamers felt and bargained with themselves about PS games heading to PC. A certain amount of denial that only a "few" and "selected" (and potentially, only multiplayer titles) will only be heading to the PC. But here we are, with a great deal of PS single player tentpole titles on PC.

Microsoft is software and service company foremost, and having their software/games/services on EVERY GAMING PLATFORM is their goal, regardless of hurt feelings.
That is not what is at debate here. If we’re talking 10 years out someone drops a “I told you so”. This is an irrelevant conversation. We can’t have threads of people egging others on for years on end if nothing is happening. It’s unreasonable on moderators to deal with this. This is the Starfield is going to PS5 thread. And As it stands, it is not. And there is no indication it is.

none of the selected 4 titles are large tent pole titles, 2 of them require player bases to survive, 2 of them aren’t platform sellers nor were they ever intended to be.

We can cross that bridge when they start moving tent pole system sellers over to a direct competitor. But right now they have provided just reason as to why these 4 are being ported.

They literally said on the podcast nothing else is coming other than these four and they had distinct reasons for these to be the 4.

Show me during the podcast they said that more games are under consideration without cherry picking a sentence and missing the context before it
It is open to bring more if their efforts are fruitful.

As to the likelihood other first-party Xbox titles will come to PlayStation and Switch, it certainly seems possible. When asked if there'll be more multiplatform games, particularly if Microsoft's initial four releases prove successful, Spencer replied, "Yeah, but we haven't seen that yet. We want to see what happens, because going and doing the development work to bring them to new platforms is real work. We want to make sure that the return makes sense. We want to make sure the audience that’s there has an appetite, maybe they don't."

That is not what is at debate here. If we’re talking 10 years out someone drops a “I told you so”. This is an irrelevant conversation. We can’t have threads of people egging others on for years on end if nothing is happening. It’s unreasonable on moderators to deal with this. This is the Starfield is going to PS5 thread. And As it stands, it is not. And there is no indication it is.
There is plenty of indication that other titles are coming, and more than likely Starfield being one of them. If we need a separate thread on other potential XB titles coming to PlayStation and Switch, please let me know, so I can create one.

If a moderator can't handle simple banter of opinions or counterpoints, then they shouldn't be a moderator. If this place becomes a place where members are starting to feel like they're walking on broken eggshells not to upset another member (because of their opinion), then I'm out.

none of the selected 4 titles are large tent pole titles, 2 of them require player bases to survive, 2 of them aren’t platform sellers nor were they ever intended to be.

Yes, but this doesn't mean no other titles (or tentpole titles) aren't coming. Actually, Phil said exactly the opposite, that they're looking at other titles coming to additional platforms.

We can cross that bridge when they start moving tent pole system sellers over to a direct competitor. But right now they have provided just reason as to why these 4 are being ported.

They provided more reasons (while wrapped up in corporate speak and theater) on why PlayStation and Nintendo are important to XB (now, anyhow) and Microsoft's goal on providing more games across more platforms.

It is open to bring more if their efforts appear fruitful.

As to the likelihood other first-party Xbox titles will come to PlayStation and Switch, it certainly seems possible. When asked if there'll be more multiplatform games, particularly if Microsoft's initial four releases prove successful, Spencer replied, "Yeah, but we haven't seen that yet. We want to see what happens, because going and doing the development work to bring them to new platforms is real work. We want to make sure that the return makes sense. We want to make sure the audience that’s there has an appetite, maybe they don't."
Guys please,
don't make our lives a living hell moderating this topic.

Just discuss things when they happen. There's no line moderators can draw here, and if this continues on, we're going to get hundreds of reports where we need to make decisions based on ... nothing?
it's a he said she said moment where everyone is just going to create a bunch of noise over leaks and interpretations. Single to noise ratio is going to zero because people are just going to dissect and point at journalists who, honestly as per this announcement were all wrong. There's a reason why on other forums port begging is banned. And this honestly, I can of get why this is like a modified form of port begging, because it has some credibility, but it has all the drawbacks that come with, largely a discussion around nothing technical, nothing useful, just people taking up positions to port deny and to port over.

I don't have a problem with people having their opinions on these things, but all these statements were so very non-committal. There's virtually no change from the start of this thread where everyone was listing everything and Halo was going over. And now we get the word from the top and people are just cherry picking statements to keep it going.

I can clearly see both sides of the argument, but we can't have Schrodingers Xbox Exclusives dominating every single thread in the console forum. As per this original thread, as far as I can read, it no longer serves a purpose. If we want to keep it contained on the podcast thread, I think at least that would be manageable for us. I don't want a bunch of posts constantly on every xbox thread saying X is moving over when there's been no announcement or credibility of it. They made a public statement saying they like keeping their options open. Like I said earlier, it's best for MS to say nothing. But that doesn't mean every single corporation out there isn't willing to keep their options open, because they have to. The industry is a changing thing, and not every single business model will last forever.

I'm still learning the tool set here, but I'm having this thread merged with the podcast thread. It's the same topic, and that is where it belongs.

Last edited:
but we can't have Schrodingers Xbox Exclusives dominating every single thread in the console forum
"TBD" is a rather large cloud stretching into the horizon. People will naturally be curious to see how far it goes.
I fail to see why a heavy hand is needed to swat speculation other than it makes some feel uncomfortable.

"TBD" is a rather large cloud stretching into the horizon. People will naturally be curious to see how far it goes.
I fail to see why a heavy hand is needed to swat speculation other than it makes some feel uncomfortable.
i'm not swating speculation, I just want it all in 1 place. I don't want it spread everywhere on the console forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back