RSX exists (as does PS3 Reference Tool)

patsu said:
I remember in one of the B3D threads, one dev asked the other whether he has benchmarked the "noisy" unit (alluding to PS3 dev kits).
Which reminds me of a funny story I heard the other day.

Two devs walk into a bar. The first dev says to the other "Have you go the noisy SDK, or the really noisy SDK" and the other dev...

Actually no, that's not it. How was it again. More like

There's an XB360 Dev, and PS3 Dev, and a Revolution Dev, all being held at Colditz knowing they are to be executed in the morning...

xbdestroya said:
So Dean, are the new dev kits as thin as the ones indicated in the PS Meeting slide?

I'll even make it NDA friendly: are they still supposed to be that thin? :)
You need to use the ol' imperial measure for dev-kits, the foot-stool. Any other dev-kit measure is pointless.

Dreamcast were the perfect size in foot-stools. PS2 Tool was bit more than a foot-stool which I never liked... Xbox about a quarter of a foot stool and X360 Alpha was just plain silly cos of those handles...

DeanoC said:
You need to use the ol' imperial measure for dev-kits, the foot-stool. Any other dev-kit measure is pointless.

Dreamcast were the perfect size in foot-stools. PS2 Tool was bit more than a foot-stool which I never liked... Xbox about a quarter of a foot stool and X360 Alpha was just plain silly cos of those handles...

The first PS3 kit was less of a footstool and more of a coffee table.

Shezad said:
actually a friend of a friend told my friend about the shape of the kit...
Oh brother... another "qualified source" bites the dust.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reports of problems aren't groundless chatter. Or at least require a redesign of the PS3 prototype to include a few more vents. The only thing that can fix this is a 4 SPE + G80 GPU diagram to shore up the base. Version... GO!

chachi said:
Oh brother... another "qualified source" bites the dust.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reports of problems aren't groundless chatter. Or at least require a redesign of the PS3 prototype to include a few more vents. The only thing that can fix this is a 4 SPE + G80 GPU diagram to shore up the base. Version... GO!

What does Shazed have to do with the overall theme of the thread though? Besides being wholly unexpected...

On a personal level I guess it all comes down to how far you're willing to read into the Guerilla guys' comments, which seem to imply RSX has shipped in dev kits, but like Joe and others have said, doesn't make a hard claim.

DeanoC said:

So Dean, how many sisters joined band camp since the last head count? :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
PS - D.C. I was actually asking the other Dean that question ;)

I already knew what sort of non-answers I could expect were I to have asked you. :)

heh - it hurts me deeply inside that RSX might NOT be based on Nvidia's next-gen NV50 ~ NV5x Shader Model 4.0 architecture.
I mean, the thought of that just kills inside. I am such a geek :p

xbdestroya said:
PS - D.C. I was actually asking the other Dean that question ;)

I already knew what sort of non-answers I could expect were I to have asked you. :)
I know it was for Dean, but I thought you wanted the straight answer... Dean would have likely given you the size in milli-angels_on_the_head_of_a_pin.

DeanoC said:
I know it was for Dean, but I thought you wanted the straight answer... Dean would have likely given you the size in milli-angels_on_the_head_of_a_pin.

Well I guess I'll be thankful then for the more... familiar metric coming from you. :)

xbdestroya said:
What does Shazed have to do with the overall theme of the thread though? Besides being wholly unexpected...
Well, unwittingly he turned it into a more interesting thread. :)

On a personal level I guess it all comes down to how far you're willing to read into the Guerilla guys' comments, which seem to imply RSX has shipped in dev kits, but like Joe and others have said, doesn't make a hard claim.
The only problem with the Guerilla guy's comment was it sounds an awful lot like a non-denial denial. I think when confirmation comes it'll sound a lot like "finally, and they're great!" rather than "we're a 1st party developer, what do you think?" The developers here seem to be having a good time with this though so maybe they know that final kits are on the truck or something.

To me the comment from the Killzone guy just implies they've got development kits and have been working with them for a while now. The way he used "RSX" was similar to how it was characterized by Sony many months ago.

DeanoC said:

Any HS updates? You guys gonna release any new screens soon? :D

More related (but not really) speculation

So, I've seen the PS3 demo real from CES...and Kaz mentioned that this is a "little taste of the fruits of their labor". I'm assuming he meant real-time footage. Curiously enough...motorstorm, as well as F1, were shown, along with 3 already proven realtime demos, Lair, GTAvision, and Warhawk.

Can we safely infer Motorstorm (and F1 for good measure) are realtime then?

Megadrive1988 said:
heh - it hurts me deeply inside that RSX might NOT be based on Nvidia's next-gen NV50 ~ NV5x Shader Model 4.0 architecture.
I mean, the thought of that just kills inside. I am such a geek :p

It just kills me that your aiming so low. I want NV60 ~ NV6x Shader Model 5.0 architecture. ;)

Back